SJ7 issues/problems with wifi connection

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Lazaros Filippidis, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Lazaros Filippidis

Lazaros Filippidis Member

Hi Guys,

I have an SJ7 with FW 1.15. When I enable the wifi option the camera displays a white wifi symbol. However, I cannot see the SSID of the camera on my phone or on my tablet.

IF however I connect it to my PC and select from the menu that will appear the "Ext Power" option while having the wifi enabled then the wifi symbol becomes green. When it is green I can see the SSID from my phone and tablet and I can successfully connect to my camera.

Do you know why I cannot connect to the camera when the wifi symbol is white, while I can connect to it while it is green? Do you think that this is a problem with the hardware or the FM?

thanks for any replies,
    Lazaros.

2. sjcam_admin

sjcam_admin Administrator Staff Member

@Lazaros Filippidis

If this happens, just long press the Settings button so the White WIFI icon will turn Green, but not with envy. :)

3. Lazaros Filippidis

Hi,

when I press the Settings/wifi button I hear a beep and the white wifi symbol appears, when I press the same button again but for a longer time I hear a beep but nothing happens, the wifi symbol remains white.

Any ideas?

Lazaros.

4. ArekMe

ArekMe New Member

Looks like your firmware is corrupted, try reflash latest firmware version

5. Lazaros Filippidis

I have just updated the firmware again (1.15) and the behavriour is exactly the same. If the wifi is off and I long press the settings/wifi button the wifi icon turns on and is coloured white. When it is white my two tablets and my phone cannot see the SSID. If however I connect the SJ7 to external power supply the wifi turns green. When it is green I can connect to it using my tablet and phone.

So, there is clearly something wrong with the camera or the firmware.

6. Lazaros Filippidis

please see my previous comment - I have updated the firmware again but the behaviour stays the same. Cannot connect with wifi when no external power is connected to the camera. This is very disappointing.

7. MUHAMAD AFIQ BIN ABDUL ARIF

MUHAMAD AFIQ BIN ABDUL ARIF New Member

Hello sir. Press long shutter button could switch on wifi,is this normal?

8. Lazaros Filippidis

This turs the wifi on but the wifi icon on the camera's screen is white, when it is white my tablet or phone cannot find the SSID and therefore cannot connect to the SJ7. However, if I connect it to external power then the wifi icon on the camera's screen becomes green, when it is green I can connect to it with my tablet or phone. So is my camera broken? Does it malfunction?

9. sjcam_admin

sjcam_admin Administrator Staff Member

Green Wifi icon is searching, which supposedly looks for previously connected devices so you don't have to type in the password again.
    If it is white, just press the settings button again for the icon to become green. Will connect once allowed on the android device (security feature of android)

10. Lazaros Filippidis

Thank you for the reply, I have tried what you have suggested (see above) but pressing again the setting button again does not turn the wifi icon green. I can only have a green wifi icon if I power the camera with an external cable!

11. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

How sure are you that your internal battery is fully charged? It's possible the WiFi transmit function isn't working because of low voltage. That's only a big guess, but if the external battery works, but the internal battery doesn't work, what's left to consider?

12. Lazaros Filippidis

I am pretty sure because I can charge the battery fully - and to test this I will do so right now again (just in case).

13. Lazaros Filippidis

Can you guys get the green wifi icon by long pressing the settings button as suggested?

14. Lazaros Filippidis

so, I have just recharged the camera fully using a wall plug and the same problem is there. The wifi icon turns green only if the external power supply is connected.

I'm so fed up with the SJ7. To me it is a great but incomplete product that was released way far too early. I have to main issues with it plus when in the water proof case you cannot fully use it but accessing all its functions. As I have said, nice product but released far too early to the market.

Wh00kiE likes this.