SJ7 is much worse in photographs compared to M10 and even worse when compared to SJ4000!!

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Lazaros Filippidis, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Lazaros Filippidis

Lazaros Filippidis Member

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my SJ7. This is a new SJ7 that replaced a previous one that had even more problems. This time my issue is with the quality of the photographs. I have three SJ cameras: SJ4000, M10 and SJ7. In terms of quality I think that SJ4000 produces the best photographs, followed by the M10 while the SJ7 produces the worst possible photographs. How is this possible? Look at the image below. You can also download the original images from the dropbox link below.

[​IMG]

I have placed all original - full resolution samples in this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xf8q8fv7n90ui9b/From_SJ400_to_M10_to_SJ7.zip?dl=0

Any ideas as to why this is happening? It is really annoying especially considering the prices paid for SJ7.

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

What were the exact camera settings for those images? Unfortunately the EXIF info is not detailed enough to reveal actual camera settings.
    Do you use gyro, fisheye correction or digital zoom for photo shooting?

3. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

It seems to me, that your SJ7 is focused closer than your SJ4000. Try to do some test shots with some very close subjects. Put the caamera on a newspaper on table or something similar surface with fine texture and use delayed shutter to avoid shaking the camera.

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

BTW, the EXIF of your SJ7 images is showing some GPS information:
    GPSLatitude: 23 deg 35' 0.04" N
    GPSLatitudeRef: Unknown ()
    GPSVersionID: 2.2.0.0

Did you wrote it by yourself or does SJCAM has built-in GPS receiver?

5. Lazaros Filippidis

Hi Sulev, thank you for the reply.

you can see below a screen shot of 3 photographs (zoomed in to 100%) of an item located approximately 2m away from the camera. I will try a test with items closer than 2m.

No, the SJ7 does not have a GPS sensor, I'm not aware how that information got into the EXIF information. Perhaps this is something undocumented from SJCAM that has to do with wifi connectivity? Not sure.

With regards to the settings of the camera they are as follows:

Photo size 16M
    Photo quality: S.Fine
    Long Exposure: Off
    Sharpness: Normal
    AWB: Auto
    EV Value: 0.0
    ISO: Auto
    Metering: Multi

Note: Gyro, fisheye correction, or digital zoom are not available in photo mode.

Personally I think the camera over compresses the JPG. Perhaps there are other issues, not sure. It is disappointing though.

[​IMG]

6. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Digital zoom = FOV setting. I don't have SJ7, but I believe, that it is possible tu set FOV even when taking still images with this camera. But I am not sure.

Your latest images show, that SJ7 has the most detail and has the best quality of those 3 cameras.

Lazaros Filippidis likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Moderator

I'd agree that the SJ7 looks to preserve more details. Contast and saturation seem to be less giving a flatter color profile. This is better for post processing.

Of course post processing would be much better if there was a raw version of the file we could edit in darktable.

8. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I can't say that the SJ7 is worse even in far scene details. See comparison of the (almost) centre parts of your frames, SJ7 clearly wins, hands down. SJ4000 and M10 have contrasty artefacts, that may impress you, but you can always add contrast also to SJ7 images:
    [​IMG]

9. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I still can't find an anwer why the left side of your SJ7 image is so blurred. The lefternmost edge, the wall on the left, is still sharper than with other cameras, but the landscape part is definitely more fuzzy. It seems like a tilt-shift lens was used tilted for this image (optical axis is tilted from the focal plane). And not directly downwards or rightwards, but somewhere in the middle. Can you verify visually, that the lens of your SJ7 is perpenticular to the front panel of the camera? This issue might also be hidden, difficult to check, if the lens is OK, but the sensor inside the camera is not perpendicular to the lens (not parallel to the front panel).
    The second option is, that the lenses optical axis does not cross the center of the sensor. There is no easy way to check this.
    The third option is that the lens is defective.
    Or was there just any greasy fingerprints on the front lens (those could significantly affect image quality, especially if photographing towards the Sun)?
    [​IMG]

10. Lazaros Filippidis

Thank you Sulev for checking this up. You are actually right regarding the close ups. However for the further away subjects i.e. the flats/buildings I think that the detail is worse in the SJ7, I understand that post processing can increase vibrancy and contrast in the SJ7 images but I do not think that this is enough for that part of the images. Surely, when the images are printed on normal size paper or viewed on the screen they will appear OK but I know the detail is just not there. Zoomed in the SJ7 images appear as patchworks - you can tell by the information registered on the trees. In any case I find it quite disappointing that the SJ7 being a much newer camera and a lot more expensive does not offer clearly better results. It should have been unquestionable that it is better than the other two models but it is not. With regards to the left side landscape being more blurred I have no idea why it happens and to be honest I had not noticed it. :-( I'll see if visually the lens looks parallel to the "sensor" i.e. the camera itself. I'll check and see if the case is problematic and if it is clean (it should - I take care of these - but you never know).

11. Lazaros Filippidis

12. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

Please open a ticket at support.sjcam.com and send these photos.

It looks like this is probably a lens/sensor issue. If it is, we can arrange a replacement for you.

Thanks!

13. Lazaros Filippidis

This will be the second time I will be sending back a SJ7 - it is really unacceptable and disappointing

14. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Try this:
    Take two shots of the same scene as follows - take the first shot as you do usually, normal shot with the camera in landscape position, but the second shot with the camera upside down.
    Then flip the second image in computer both horisontally and vertically.
    Then compare the results. Any asymmetric problem should become more obvious this way.

Another tip: Keep the clear sky away from the scene, by directing camera more towards the ground, because the sky without any details is very poor reference for lens sharpness issues (though might be useful in other circumstances, like when the problems are related with vigneting etc).

Lazaros Filippidis and Jason like this.
  15. Lazaros Filippidis

Dear Tony Sosa, I am trying to resolve my issues as quickly as possible but I have not received a reply from SJCAM yet on my ticket #21645. Can you please please check it out? I have a trip just after mid-November to Israel and I would like to have a good working camera with me.

Lazaros.

16. Lazaros Filippidis

So, after returned the second SJ7 I "downgraded" and purchased an SJ5000X Elite. Well as I hoped for the quality, design and user interface of this camera (both while in the waterproof case and outside it) is significantly superior to the SJ7. Perhaps I was ultra unlucky with the SJ7 as others don't seem to have the same issues with me. But my experience was terrible and my trust to the SJ7 completely gone. As a final proof of the quality comparison I have prepared the following image which shows a zoomed in area from a photograph taken from the same location using my SJ4000, M10wifi, SJ5000X Elite and the now returned SJ7. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Damian Holt likes this.
  17. sans

sans New Member

Dear Seems Me too in the same boat,

How did you manage to return this BOX , and replace will they agree to this , ?

Thanks
    Sans

18. Lazaros Filippidis

Not sure I understood what you wrote. I returned the SJ7 because the images were blurry for which I got a refund. With the refund I purchased the SJ5000X Elite. I had purchased the camera from Gearbest. You have to contact the company where you got the SJ7 from and ask for a return and refund. If they won't help then contact SJCAM support.

Unfortunately I had to pay twice for postage as I returned two SJ7 back to gearbest.