SJ7 - External Mic and external power

Discussion in 'Hardware Wishlist' started by RBEmerson, Jun 9, 2017.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

I shoot motorcycle video for extended periods and need an external battery for that. I also want an external mic to get motor noise without wind noise. Having both would be most welcome. Or, even better, External power with a jack to accept mixed input (multiple mics). Heaven!

hohol_m, Grio and Dudenow12 like this.
  2. ShaneW

ShaneW New Member

I would love to have this feature as well!

3. Eric5150

Eric5150 New Member

Please add funtionality for external mics that work with GoPro Hero 3 and 4 with the mini usb adapter. For example, the Saramonic G-Mic stereo mic (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NB1G4UF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and others. Your camera needs to let users use remote mics other than your substandard SJCAM external mic which I did buy and try out. Being limited with the audio does not help us Youtube content creators who need the better sound than even your official external mic. I will be looking for a mic for taking videos while flying a Cessna 152 and that requires that the mini usb be able to be plugged into by an external connection to the headphone out of the plane. I bought the airplane adapter for this but I'm pretty sure it will not work as the Saramonic G-Mic stereo mic did not work either. I also have a mini usb to 1/8" stereo adapter coming in the mail, but again, I doubt it will work with your firmware. People need more options to plug in their own mics.

All of this is after installing the v1.15 firmware.

Just my two cents
    Eric

4. Grio

Grio New Member

Home Page:
    Sure. I have found the solution at 4pda.ru
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW, please support my firmware feature request
    by your like at http://sjcamhd.com/community/threads/sj7-star-firmware-wishlist.84/#post-708

br,
    Grio.

5. Eric5150

Eric5150 New Member

Ok....so I am experimenting on turning a gopro aviation headset recording adapter into the SJ7 STAR. It has a red wire (+5V), a black wire (which looks like it might go to pin 5 on the SJ7 STAR pinout), a green wire (which I believe to be the ground), and a white wire (which I belive to be mono mic in). Can you tell me what number pins (using the diagram above) I would connect each wire to?

Please help

Eric

6. Jason

Jason Moderator

I'd like a premade cable that lets me plug in a 3.5mm jack and a powerbank at the same time. My soldering skills are none existant

7. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Try this:
    1 Red
    5 and 6 Black
    9 White
    10 Green

8. Jason

Jason Moderator

Just a thought - the mics SJCAM make are Lav mics so I'm assuming that they'll be mono but is the interface on the camera only mono or is there a second channel somewhere? The layout above just shows one.

9. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

Please watch YouTube 'DIY SJCAM SJ7 Mic & Power Adapter'.

10. Jason

Jason Moderator

Erm, yes saw that - but it is DIY not premade, Basically I want SJCAM to release a version to buy

11. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

there are still no plans for the company to release this as an accessory. Maybe we can create a poll to see how many people would buy an external SJ6/SJ7 mic adapter...

Jason likes this.
  12. Jason

Jason Moderator

So how many active member are there in comparison to registered members (and SJ7 owners)? Would the results actually spur the company on to making it?

The poll should have the option to vote for Audio Only, Audio and Power or both (or none the lav mics are enough)

13. AndyLG

AndyLG Member

this for sj6 also, and a skeleton case to protect the camera while able to use the external mic

14. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

P1010477.JPG

straight extensor for the original mic & waterproof case

TonySosa and AndyLG like this.
  15. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

Looking good!

16. Dwayne b

Dwayne b New Member

I have ordered 2 items from gearbest a sjcam microphone and an 3.5mm mini 10 pin USB adapter for another application ...I am going to cut the wires on the two ends I need and easily solder wires together instead of really small mini USB ports and take an old set of headphones I have laying around and solder a new male 3.5mm Jack on the end on the mic and have the ability to use any mic that is 3.5 mm and also have quality from the factory ends on the connections

RBEmerson likes this.
  17. fega

fega New Member

I want to share my opinion about this topic.... the mics problems...
    I got excited about this camera and specially for the possibility of plug an external microphone,

but this just stinks, it's very sad that that the company didn't release a simple cable through a third party or so. I'd preferred buy a 20 bucks well made universal mic adapter, that a 20 bucks sh*tty mic...

all the trust and loyalty that you created on my, simply disappeared.

sj8? no more, I don't want to feel scammed again.

:(

18. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Nobody scammed anybody. If you don't like the product, that's your choice. The only problem I see here is SJCam made a poor choice in not offering a cable that gives users an option to use a mic of the user's choosing and external power at the same.

I'll repeat I've said before: if someone comes up with a functional mic/power cable for a 5-pin USB connector, please share the details about how to make this cable.

Troy and Damian Holt like this.
  19. Jason

Jason Moderator

You bought a camera because it says it can take an external mic and guess what - it can take an external mic. There's 2 compatible mics available.

3rd parties are free to bring out an audio to 3.5mm cable if they wanted but none of them have - why? Don't know - you'll have to ask them, maybe they don't think there's a big enough market.

No one has scammed anyone - they've delivered what they advertised. If you expected more then it's in your ballcourt for not actually checking what was available.

Damian Holt likes this.
  20. fega

fega New Member

Hello Jason and RBEmerson, thanks for reply.
    When I visit SJ7 landing page it only says
    "External Mic Support: Yes"

There is no aclaration anywhere about that SJ7 is only compatible with two microphones, So I thought the better.

I researched a lot before buy this camera, but the information about those details were scarce (Also I haven't way to imagine those issues without bought the camera).

even the official manual lacks of any information about external microphone, and a lot of other details (there is no mention about how to enabie, disable internal mic, for example),

I think that SJ7 is a great camera but SJteam need to pay a lot more attention on details, those that makes the difference.