SJ7 died. heating when on usb.

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by wims, Feb 28, 2018.

1. wims

wims New Member

Hi! My SJ7 worked fine. Used it on the motorcycle a few times. Now all of a sudden screen freezed. So i pulled out the battery. Then put the battery in again. Noting happens. Doesnt power up. Also attached on usb but doesnt do anything. Only thing i does is heat up so bad I cant toucht it. Seems its bricked. But there isnt any reason why this would happen. Didnt do anyting stupid with it. Is there anyone who recognizes this behauviour? Thanks in advance!

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Sigh... in the engineering world it's called "infant mortality". It works fresh out of the box and then pffffft. IMHO you have a dead camera.

3. wims

wims New Member

Yeah I guess I do own a dead camera... Had some fun with it for a week... I'll try to get in touch with the store I bought it from... Thanks

4. RBEmerson

As my burned fingers (to be clear, burned only to the point of a bad sunburn - 1st degree burn) attest, the SJ7 has, in my opinion, a near fatal heat problem. To date, nobody has reported a catastrophic battery failure (explosion or fire - common lithium battery failure mode). NTL I think it's only a matter of time before it happens. In short, it's no surprise your camera cooked some borderline reliable component and the camera died.

Without a major change in the SJ7's construction and/or firmware adjustments, SJ7's, and owners such as yourself, will continue to have major heat problems.

5. wims

wims New Member

The camera also heats up without the battery inside. That's why I almost for sure know it's fried. But also weird that the components inside are heating up that bad. Had a reply from the store I bought it from. They say I can offer it at a local store for repair and they will pay for it. But I want to return it. So I'll update when I know more.

6. RBEmerson

Keep in mind that the SJ7 runs hot. Standing on my desk, running 1080@60 fps, it reached 57C. This isn't a good thing but it is typical.

7. wims

wims New Member

Its freezing here. And the camera was only used outside. So kinda weird. But the company i bought it from says I can send it back. Ill update again when I know more.

8. RBEmerson

Keep us up to date on developments.

Good luck with staying warm.