SJ7 battery compatibility?

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by RBEmerson, Apr 5, 2019.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

I need some batteries in a hurry (under two weeks). The only SJ8 batteries I can find come from China. Delivery would take far too long. IIRC the SJ7 battery will work in the SJ8, but needs a bit of packing to keep the battery in place. AFAIK the capacity is lower than the SJ8's battery; that's not a problem for me.

Will the SJ7 battery work in an SJ8 Pro?

2. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    They will not work, as they don't fit into the compartment. The dimensions differ and the sj7 Star batteries are thicker.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  3. RBEmerson

SJ7 batteries are thicker? I thought it was the other way round.

4. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    No, hight is the same. SJ8 battery is wider in width and SJ7 is thicker, not much but I would not try to attach it with force. It's a pitty that after more than a year on the market you can not buy batteries for the SJ8 on Amazon. I always carry a powerbank around as a replacement and load the cam when I don't use it.

5. RBEmerson

Things is what things is, I guess. My main need for spare batteries is to be sure I can bridge over changing battery packs.

While shooting the demo video, I found there's only one circumstance where the SJ8 powers down when leaving external power. When the camera's in USB Transfer, and the cable's disconnected, the SJ8 shuts down. If the camera's running on internal power, moving to a battery pack doesn't drop power. Likewise, removing external power and returning to internal power doesn't shut down the camera. Why the change out of USB transfer matters is a mystery but it's not a game stopper.