SJ6 Legend only turns on while on USB power

Discussion in 'SJ6 LEGEND' started by Philip Alday, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Philip Alday

Philip Alday New Member

I have been using my SJ6 Legend since January of this year.

Unfortunately, an issue came up where all my batteries are not being recognized by the camera and would not turn on. No Led lights as well.

However, if i connect the camera using the usb cable to a powerbank it turns on and works fine.

The batteries are being detected by the separate charger and can charge it as well.

Anyone experienced this issue?

What steps did you take if you have resolved it?

Thank you.

2. Janmae Jiv Medallo

Janmae Jiv Medallo New Member

Yes I also experienced this, and I've tried all the possible ways in YouTube to make this one turn on.. But it didn't help anyway.

3. Philip Alday

Philip Alday New Member

What happened to your SJ6 Legend? We cannot repair it anymore?

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Does the On-Off/Mode button work correctly on external power?

Have you ever left your batteries for weeks without recharging after complete discharging? This case the battery may be depleted to extent, where protective circuit of the charger or the camera SW does not allow to recharge it any more. Can you use a multimeter to check the voltage? Sometimes careful charging from some other battery might still revive it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  5. Philip Alday

Philip Alday New Member

Yes, the on and off button does work correctly on external power.

I have three (3) batteries, all of which cannot be detected by the camera at all.

My guess is that the battery connecter in the camera might be damaged or needs to be soldered/glued back on to connect the batteries again.

Any thoughts?

6. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

You are lucky if this is just a bad soldering or a loose wire.
    I lost 2 batteries of my Olympus mirrorless camera recently with almost similar symptoms and almost the same thing happened with my Pecos power bank too. The camera works great after I insert a new battery, but if the battery stays in overnight, then the camera won't recognize it any more. Had 3 batteries for this camera, now only one is left and to keep it working I remove it always from the camera immediately after use. I opened one of these failed Olympus batteries and my Pecos and found that Li-ion battery elements had fully charged, but there was no voltage after the control circuit. I suspect, that the charging/discharging or safety/control circuit of the Li-ion element got damaged for some reason.

7. NicSanico

NicSanico New Member

1.in most case it the battery terminal that has a fault you can just solder it back..
    2. Some problem is in the battery pin clips sometimes the clearance will change and in that case loose the contacts.You can just grab a cutter blade push it back to the clearance you think it can grab the battery terminal and regain contact to the main board battery terminal

8. Philip Alday

Philip Alday New Member

When you say push it back? Just push those gold plated pins down? I think that when placing the batteries, these pins were pushed back that took them out of place and lost their connection to board of the camera.

I am not really knowledgeable in these things so i doubt i can solder it back on.

9. Philip Alday

Philip Alday New Member

Wow that is a lot of batteries that malfunctioned. Have you tried bringing the camera to a repair shop?

What is the status of your camera and its batteries now?

10. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

2 failed batteries is actually not so much. Maybe this was just a very bad luck. The camera works great, other than these 2 batteries died in the camera one right after another, both when the camera was not in use for hours (for overnight). The camera is rather old, I am sure, that any repair would cost me more than it's worth. So I let it stay without battery, and insert battery only if I want to use it. There is no internal charging (in camera) for that camera model, so there is no need to leave the camera unattended together with batteries.
    I haven't tested recently, if those failed batteries have revived or not. One of them is cut open and rests this way in my drawer now. The Peco powerbank is in the similar status. Now I use power banks, that use 18650-type Lithium-ion batteries (exchangeable), not built-in proprietary elements..