SJ6 Legend - formatted SD without confirmation

Discussion in 'Firmware Wishlist' started by MadBob, Dec 19, 2017.

1. MadBob

MadBob New Member

Hi

My SJ6 Legend just formatted the SD losing 10 days worth of videos, at the time I was trying to rotate the screen in the case with the touch back fitted.

As I was scrolling the settings screen down it must have caused an accidental touch on formatting. It flashed a message up and everything was gone, can you please alter the firmware so that this is not possible to format without typing in SJCAM, I didn't know all the videos had gone until I overwrote the SD with a day's worth of filming, these cannot be retrieved.

I have accepted this loss and moved on but would hate this to happen to anyone else.

Sparks240 likes this.
  2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

If you format your card by accident, then it is still possible to get images and videos back, until you haven't recorded everything over.
    Just use rescue utility. I have used Zar for this purpose. http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.aspx (free for noncommercial rescue of images and videos).

Formating menu command always asks confirmation. It is not so easy to format by accident.

3. MadBob

MadBob New Member

And yet it formatted my 128GB card losing all my videos. Please make it much harder to accidentally do this, remove it from the menu and put it somewhere you have to dig to use it, then make it confirm with text rather than by clicking, I never intended to format but I managed to click and confirm.

Sh!t happens and I'm not angry, I Just cannot guarantee it won't happen again.

Sparks240 likes this.
  4. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Best to add this suggestion to the Wishlist section. Our guys at dev get notified every now and then and they do listen.
    Of course, firmware goals get top priority to them, so only the best suggestions and most urgent fixes get their attention.

5. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Selev is right - the files can be retrieved. If you've recorded new material over the original material, of course some of the old files are lost. Otherwise, the restoration process is mainly restoring the directory to point at the existing data. There are some other things going on, but nothing you'll see, save for the finished product.

How did you find out the SD was reformatted? Did the camera stop working, did you have an "Oh s****" moment when you looked at the camera, or...?

6. Sparks240

Sparks240 New Member

Hi I also accidentally formatted my card. Trying to be more careful now but the touch screen does seem to have a mind of its own some times

7. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

This question should be in the SJ6 forum. This forum is for things that should included or changed in camera firmware.