SJ5000 X Elite picture quality.

Discussion in 'SJ5000 Series' started by Andrés Ezequiel Ramello, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Andrés Ezequiel Ramello

Andrés Ezequiel Ramello New Member

Hi everybody this is my 1 post, thanks in advance to everyone who made this forum possible.

I buy two weeks ago my SJCAM 5000 X elite and my first impressions I wold say that is a nice sport camera. I have been using it for record some sport videos in atv and the result was nice.

The main problems became with the picture the landscape looks good but when you take pictures with selfies sticks the faces looks blurred. Definition problems or focus.. I Don't know

I update with the latest version 1.5.4-S from dec. 4 2017

If someone else has experience those problems please leave comments, don't know if is normal or could solve with some settings.

Thanks for reading this post. Regards from Spain.

Attached Files:

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Use raw format!
    Raw images are much sharper and have overall better quality! And have greater potential for post processing too.
    You can convert those SJCAM raws into some other formats, that are acceptable for most popular photo editing softwares, with the SJCAM RAW V0.3.0.0 Converter Tool for SJ8 Pro, available from here:
    http://support.sjcam.com/support/so...jcam-raw-v0-3-0-0-converter-tool-for-sj8-pro-

BTW, it seems to me, that your camera is slightly back focusing.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  3. Andrés Ezequiel Ramello

Hi, thank you for the the response and data, i will try to made in RAW format and will let you know if there's any change.
    Aso as you say, seems that is back focused. Could correct this with some settings?
    One again thsnks for your answer, have nice weekend !

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Back focusing is actually easily correctable, by mechanically unscrewing the lens by few degrees. But if you do this by yourself, then you may void the warranty (the lens is fixed by some hot glue, that have to be broken loose to unscrew it).

At first, try to find out if there is back focusing problem at all. Every lens has its nearest focusing distance. If you put it closer to the subject, it can't produce sharp image. By unscrewing this lens a bit you change the distance, where the lens is focused, and the nearest focusing distance changes too, like as you have added a tiny macro ring to the lens.

If the lens is not back focused, then unscrewing it even a bit worsens sharpness of distant objects, if it is, then distant objects remain sharp after correction and closest focused distance gets closer.

Unscrewing the lens a bit more allows to use the cam as a macro cam. And to record videos of tiny creatures like those natterjack toads in this video:

5. Andrés Ezequiel Ramello

Really Nice video, is little tricky for me now to open the camera as i don't know exactly how to do it.
    Also want to reinstall the lastest version and see if have better quality with less grain and better focus. I try also with the RAW format, think that is better but sadly not enough.

Attached a sample picture with RAW format.

Attached Files:

6. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I like the color dynamics, contrasts and overall sharpness of your last picture (You both are nice and shiny too!), but the lens still seems to be unsharp at the selfie range. At least I'd prefer, if it was focused some 30...50 cm closer than it is now.

Opening the SJ5000X is pretty easy - can be done even without any tools, only using your fingernail, pushing it gently between the front panel and the rest of the camera body, starting from one corner and then sliding it along the slit, around the panel.

Here is a photo of locations of the front panel's fixture clips: SJ5000X front panel.jpeg

Notice, that I have marked original position with a white spot on the lens (and on the surrounding plastic ring, not visible from the photo) so I can always return it to the original position again, after my macro shootings. Actually, remainings of the hot glue don't let me to screw the lens tighter than it was, so the original position could be found even without observing these markings, but the glue might wore out if I adjust the lens often, so better let those markings stay there. And they help to find proper magnitude of the focus adjustment for certain distance too.

This way I have macro capable lens with adjustable focus instead of the original fixed focus lens.

7. Andrés Ezequiel Ramello

Really helpful your last post, thanks for that! i will try that if isn't too difficult open the front panel... Also Yesterday night was doing some test and found tgat the FOV function didn't work .. Zoom works properly but not FOV

Reinstall the lastest version of the software but still the same. I bought this camera used, the warranty does not exist for me.

Could be possible that the lens settings works better with the waterproof case..

Anyway will comment here if i found any solution.

Regards from Spain!

8. Andrés Ezequiel Ramello

Hello I'm back with some news.

Yesterday i remove the front panel, but i have doubts due the lens is well glued to the camera body and didn't want to made any damage.

As you commented in your last post there is a surrounding ring on the top of the lens where is placed the top of the lense.

I must turn the complete lens or only the top ring ?? Did you use some technique to remove the glue or van be forced until it breaks.

Thanks a lot for your help and patience.

9. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Of course the lens is glued, as I mentioned in my second posting here.
    The surrounding tube should be removed, before the lens can be adjusted. The lens should look like on the photo above.
    I just wrapped a paper handkerchief around the lens and used a pair of curved jaw locking pliers to break the lens loose from the glue by gently turning the lens counterclockwise.
    BTW, if you don't plan to change the lens, then there is no need to unscrew it more than 180 degrees (half rotation). To fully separate the lens it takes more than 5 full rotations. For adjusting the lens you hardly need unscrew it more than 5 degrees.

10. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Please verify first, that the farsightness of the camera is not caused by the watertight case. If the camera lens is too close to the front glass of the casing (or even touches it), then it may cause loss of sharpness in the central area of the video/photo frames. So test the camera without the case.

11. Andrés Ezequiel Ramello

Hello, all the pictures that I uploaded are without the case. With the case is more or less the same,
    in my last post I want to upload an image and the page says that is to large... Try with a screen capture of the image and was to large also..

When I ask about the surrounding ring is the exterior ring in the lens were you have the white mark in the picture that you had uploaded.

Is good tip to check in first the clearance between the lens and the case..

Thanks

12. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

If you already stripped your lens to the extent like mine on the photo above, then the lens is ready for breaking loose from the glue. Just unscrew it a little, by turning it counterclockwise (like you unscrew an ordinary screw).