Sj 7 star external mic noise issue

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by amitjainfilms, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

@amitjainfilms
    I was only guessing, @RBEmerson is the subject-matter-expert around these parts.
    I second him about making the support ticket, and also contacting Banggood.
    One is so that the firmware/hardware teams at SJCAM would be made aware of it and make the necessary steps to getting that sorted out, and the other is so that you either get a replacement or whatever Banggood might offer you.

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

It just occurred to me I do have a way to show the audio from the putt-putt. I used Audacity to look at the video's soundtrack. The results re interesting.

The first line is a mix of speech (the big blue stuff to the left) and the putt-putt pulses. There is, however, a low frequency signal imposed on top of the pulses. Look at the overall height, which changes in a recognizable pattern. The next line looks just at the putt-putt noise. It's short sharp pulses on a very regular basis. The last line is a close-up look at the pulses themselves. They are square waves with incredibly fast decay time. What matters here, though, is this is not audio noise, it's digital pulsing coming from the camera.

[​IMG]

3. amitjainfilms

amitjainfilms New Member

ok thanks for the help need to know is it possible to repair these type of defective in market from local ...as banggood asking to with someone if it can be repired , thanks for your all research and help, ( if possible can any buddy tell me what is the main prblm of the noise so that I can check with tech from local how much it is going to cost ...troy please if you can ask someone from offical team to check this and tell me wich part is defective that would be great help for me

4. RBEmerson

The camera is defective, period. End of story. It cannot be fixed. No way, no how. There is nothing else that will repair it.

You are down to a warranty problem. BangGood's response is BS. They are trying to get out of replacing the camera.

You have three choices:
    1. The internal mic works. Accept you will never be able to use an external mic.
      Pro: you keep the camera, don't have to ship it, don't have to hassle with BangGood or SJCam.
      Con: No external mic, possibly that mic will fail, too.

2. Return the camera to BangGood for a replacement.
      Pro: The camera is replaced
      Con: Hassle getting BangGood to back the sale, cost of shipping, delays from shipping and BangGood sending a replacement, the replacement camera may have the same or other problems. Or not.

3. Return the camera to SJCam for replacement.
      Pro: the camera is replaced.
      Con: Hassle getting SJCam support to agree to a return, cost of shipping, delays from shipping and SJCam sending a replacement, the replacement camera may have the same problem or other problems. Or not.
    The choice is up to you - there is nothing, nothing, nothing that can be done to repair the camera.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  5. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

This issue will be reported to the technical team. Hopefully it's an isolated case.

6. amitjainfilms

amitjainfilms New Member

guys for general knowledge noise which is coming due to wifi on that is a bug or it is on my camera only.because after turn off the wifi noise is very less

7. RBEmerson

WiFi on/noise on, WiFi off/noise off. You've pretty much explained where the problem comes from. As I said, this shouldn't happen. Something's wrong with the camera.

Your choices are "live with external mic&no WiFi or internal mic&WiFi" or get a replacement under warranty, albeit with a lot of aggravation. Pick which option fits you best.

8. Jason

Jason Moderator

How many people experience the wifi on / mic on problem?
    Is your mic on the front next to the lens or on the side above the HDMI port?

With the aluminium case covering 4 sides and the screen on the back I've a sneaky suspicion that the wifi antenna is on the front plastic housing near the lens - putting it close to the mic.

[​IMG]

9. RBEmerson

If that squiggle in Kapton isn't the WiFi antenna, I'll be very surprised. However, even if it were diagonally across the case from the mic, I doubt it would make much difference. Remember that the problem's coming in through the USB port. Since using external mics hasn't prompted a collection "my mic goes blip-blip-blip" complaints, that makes this case a (near) one-off problem. Either a trace or wire crossed inside camera (doubt it) or there's a problem with the USB port wiring. Without the camera and a scope, this is all guessing, but at least informed guessing.

10. JAY11

JAY11 New Member

My friend solved it. See here:

11. RBEmerson

FWIW, a panel like this is not only useful for protecting the mic in the helmet, it's going to quiet down the helmet altogether. Air rushing around inside the helmet ...well... it's noisier and fatiguing (it's just one more bit of stress).

I'll suggest an alternative to the sheet of bubble wrap, though. Consider using 2-3 layers of t-shirt material. It will limit air curling into the helmet, too. More importantly, it won't be uncomfortable, scraping against the rider's skin. If possible, sew up at least the back edge, to keep the material from fraying.

The helmet itself, as well as the mic location, can make big difference in having noise problems. I use a Sena intercom system. When I'm speaking with another rider, or I use the phone, I can hear the side tone which all phones use (telephones, corded, wireless, cell). It's a quiet version of what's coming in from your mic. With a Schuberth S1 and Shoei GT-Air, wind noise is covered over by my voice. Both helmets have wide chin bars. I place the mic further from the bottom of the than with a helmet with a bar that's narrower.

ADDED: Please see the following comment about the original post and the problem involved. @JAY11 - I suggest a new thread, with your very good ideas, so people looking to fix wind noise problems can find this advice.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  12. RBEmerson

13. maak

maak New Member

if it's very bad, then mic is nothing to have.
    but instead of throwing it away, just cut cable and switch the leaders and you probably good to go ;)
    but get rid of coating on leaders to get good contact.

14. RBEmerson

In the case of the WiFi noise problem, I suspect even an external mic won't fix it. But trying an external mic is worth the effort.