Sj 7 star external mic noise issue

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by amitjainfilms, Jan 15, 2018.

1. amitjainfilms

amitjainfilms New Member

Hi Guys ,

i ordered two new external mic from the banggood.com and both is not giving me proper clean audio .

so i thought to get a solution from here...

so i have just recorded test video and here is link to the video: goo.gl/ZhS6Vy

can some please help me what is the noise in the background and how i get override of it.

please help.

2. Jason

Jason Moderator

can you repost the link - previous link not working

3. amitjainfilms

amitjainfilms New Member

hi here is the link ...i cannt post full link till 3 posts

goo.gl/ZhS6Vy

4. Jason

Jason Moderator

Hmm, nasty. Was the camera wifi turned on?

5. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

6. amitjainfilms

amitjainfilms New Member

internal mic is working fine without any noise

7. amitjainfilms

amitjainfilms New Member

Guys just woke up and tried the camera with wifi off and its sounding better but still, there is background noise ...it sounds like heavy rain is there in the background and...whats the solution for the wifi as while we will be riding then also we have to use wifi ... and one more thing right now microphone is set to 100%

here is the link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mVXRdPMViT5thi-J95lp7VVGezwDIGXh/view?usp=sharing

8. Ben

Ben New Member

IT
    Same problem with my external microphone from banggood.
    I have a litle bit noise with internal mic with firmware 1.18
    And more noise with internal mic with firmware 1.20

9. RBEmerson

There should be no noise coming through. The internal mic audio is clean. The external mic audio isn't. Both mics have the same problem: motorboating. If it was only one mic, I'd say the mic has a problem. Two mics could, I suppose, have a problem. But I'd go with the common element not used by the internal mic, the USB connector. I suspect there's a grounding problem letting processor noise through to the audio section. You can either try to re-solder the connector and check the wiring or replace the camera. Your pick.

10. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

I think it might be his connection that's causing the noise. But hearing the audio from that video footage, that might be from wire resistance.
    Kind of like whitenoise amplified. We'll see what the firmware devs think when they hear this.

11. RBEmerson

Sigh... not even close. Lacking an oscilloscope, I can't nail down the waveform, but it's DC pulsing.

Wire wire resistance would not let in pulses, bad grounds would. The chances that two mics have the same resistance problem is not very great. Most likely some sort of ground loop has formed.

Ground loops are, in very rough terms, grounding that takes a long path through a device or collection of device when the short, obvious ground path is missing. In audio, it's often present as unmanageable hum. In DC devices, it's a voltage that won't go away when it should - in cars it's often a light bulb that should go out but doesn't. In any case, a ground loop can easily act as an "antenna", picking up all manner of radiated noise from, in the case of the camera, chips.

Square wave pulses are made up of a very wide range of varying voltage occurring at the same time (there's more to it than that) and they can, because of the harmonics of the signals making up the square, radiate like little radio transmitters.

Bottom line: internal ground failure

Troy likes this.
  12. amitjainfilms

amitjainfilms New Member

ok thanks so what the solution as i can't replace the camera and don't have money for another camera

13. RBEmerson

There is no fix except to not use the external mic. Your only other option, which I recommend, is to create a support ticket and report the problem. If all goes as it should, you'll send the camera to SJCam for a replacement. Past that... internal mic only. Sorry 'bout that.

ADDED: I should have included contacting the seller, too. Where did you buy the camera?

14. amitjainfilms

amitjainfilms New Member

didn't understand the Past that... internal mic only. Sorry 'bout that. ....and I bought from the banggood.com, can you please help me with it.

for making it clear , issue i am getting is from the external mic not the internal mic ,

15. amitjainfilms

amitjainfilms New Member

troy any help plz ...

16. RBEmerson

If I understand everything in this thread...

You have two external mics. When you try to use either external mic, the recorded audio has a quickly repeating noise - puttputtputtputt
    When you disconnect the external mic, there is no puttputtputtputt and there is good audio (works as it should).

That the internal mic works, and both external mics don't work - or audio now has that noise - says that both mics are defective or the camera is defective. The chances that two mics are defective aren't very great. Usually when a mic fails there is no audio, not very much audio, or the audio is distorted. None of that is happening with either mic.

The sound you're recording is typical for digital circuits.

Strictly as a last resort, before trying to ship the camera somewhere, you can try (buy, I'm afraid) a third mic. If that doesn't work, you can try to resell it.

Summing up: you have a noise that should not be there. Two external mics make this happen, the internal mic doesn't have this problem. Two failing mics at the same time is unlikely. Failing mics are very unlikely to make the noise you recorded. The noise sounds like something produced by digital electronics. The most likely explanation is the camera is defective.

If you need more help with this, let me know.

17. amitjainfilms

amitjainfilms New Member

ok so please tell me how to replace or get repaired the camera as I can't afford the new camera right now. (bought from banggood) ....is there any chances of clearing the audio if i contact any local camera technician and how to fix or what is solution if i contact him

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  18. Jason

Jason Moderator

You will have to contact Banggood and follow their return procedures.

19. RBEmerson

You can't clear the noise if it's in the camera. As I said, you can try a third mic. I don't think it's certain to fix the problem, but just maybe it will.

I have no idea how BangGood handles warranty problems. You can also file a support request with SJCam support.

Please understand that I do not work for SJCam, I'm not an SJCam contractor, or an SJCam dealer. I'm just one more SJ7 owner.

20. amitjainfilms

amitjainfilms New Member

yup understood just need to ask you have knowledge about the board if you can tell me or any buddy how this problem can be resovled