Shot my niece down in flames - Was I right?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Jason, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Moderator

My niece is getting married in May and had the idea of buying a bunch of CHEAP action cameras to put on the tables. I told her I think that this wasn't a good idea and that it would be better to buy a load of disposable film cameras if she wanted to do something like that.

Now the reasons why I think it's a bad ideatheyShei

1. I did say CHEAP action cameras. I've had a couple of these in the past and whilst a good intro once your used to them I think I've become spoilt now with the ones I have now.
    2. We've all had a learning curve when starting to figure out action cameras. Even if I set the cameras to the best settings theyi're capable of for the environment (I still have to do a rekkie to map out where I'm putting my cameras. mics and sound recorders - this is the excuse I have for buying tech after all) then I know that more than one will end up being set to take timelapse photos evert 30 minutes at ISO 100
    3. Getting to grips with the wide angle lens and taking decent shots framed up nicely isn't something I think people can do at a festive event when the bottles have been corked and their contents flowing freely.. I expect much of the footage to be of someones eye with the sound track going "is it on?", followed by shots of the ceiling as they've put the camera down.
    4. Phones. Nowadays most people have a phone capable of doing video. If someone doesn't have a phone capable of doing video then it's unlikely they're the type of person that can get the hang of an action camera in 10 seconds flat. Likewise if someone who has had their phone for a while hasn't learned how to use it by the wedding they're not going to got the hang of the action cam straight away. Ive said that she should ask every one to make videos of the things she wants recording (like the speaches) and give her the ORIGINAL files, not links to YouTube. OK I know most of them will be in portrait but I reckon I can cope with cutting them in with my footage in some way.

BUT now the SJ4000 AIR has been released it sort of fits into the top end of the CHEAP action camera budget, just, if I could get them to stretch it a little.

Do you think my reasons would hold up or if I'm wrong in putting her off. One advantage of her using a bunch of SJ4000 Airs is that, after the wedding, there's going to be a bunch of SJ4000 Airs going spare ;)

2. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    To be honest your reasoning is pretty spot on from my experience. I worked as a conference and banqueting manager many moons ago and lots of weddings did the disposable cameras on tables and when they forked out the cost of developing the cameras they realised they ended up with a pile of useless pictures, and as the drinks went down the quality of pictures just worsened. Unless there’s a few budding photographers being invited I certainly wouldn’t bother with action cameras.

There’s actually an app available for phones that will allow you to set up an account. You give the details to your wedding guests and they can share their photos taken to this app. Similar but cheaper as you don’t have to get every photo developer to pick some good shots.

I’ll try and find the name of the app.

Jason likes this.
  3. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Meh... I've been to weddings with the disposable cameras. The cameras sit around doing nothing, or record lots of fingers and fingerprints, and only rarely have anything approaching even a mere snapshot. As the reception wears on and the booze kicks in and Aunt Blanche says "I can too table dance" - trust me, Aunt Blanche won't want either the reminder or seeing Uncle Claude waving the prints around. Plus those cameras all need to be developed and some sense made of what comes back. Low budge action cams add the battery limitation and keeping SD's straight. It all seems like a good idea until it meets reality. Better to talk your cousin Billy, who seems to be moderately competent with a camera, into wandering around, shooting stills and clips.