Shoot without fisheye distortion 1.18

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by magicbob, Jan 19, 2018.

1. magicbob

magicbob New Member

Hi,
    I purchased the SJ7 to use on my 60 day Asia trip and am now in Vietnam.

I do not have use of a PC and I don't have a card reader.

My version is 1.18.

Is there any way I can shoot my videos and photos without the fisheye edge distortion and without editing?

If not, I will be very unhappy that I bought this camera as I hate that distortion and want nice memories of my trip. And no time for editing.

I hope you can help me.

Thank you.

Bob

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Er, not to be unkind, but I think we said practice before you leave. Give the person you see in the mirror a good talking to about ignoring this advice. You can hope you can find some kind Internet Cafe that can save you, but I wouldn't bet much on that happening.

Your only other hope is some video editors can do post-production lens correction. But at the image cost of the edges of the frame (due to how the correction has to be done). And some editors don't come for free. You can try Shotcut or Blackmagic Design's free release of Resolve, but they may or may not work as you want.

Sorry, sport, but you brought this one on yourself.

Damian Holt likes this.
  3. magicbob

magicbob New Member

Good afternoon,

I know you were and are trying to help me.

But you are not in my shoes. I had several severe emergencies that came up and had absolutely no time except for basics for the camera.

And to make time to help insure I could make this trip, I cut my sleep back from 8 hours to 5 hours for 4 weeks before the trip and the last few days back to 3 hours and still almost missed my flight.

Do you think on this trip of a lifetime I want to miss my memories?

Didn't I read that with certain resolutions you can eliminate the fisheye effect? If so what are those for both video and photos?

I have a friend in Hanoi who I will see in a week and if I can have him bring his laptop, do I also need a USB card reader?

Thank you for your help.

Bob

4. Jason

Jason Moderator

When did Distortion Correction get added - was it firmware v1.2? Check under the camera settings for distortion correction - this works for 1080.

Personally I'd wait and do the lens correction in pose - you're going to want to edit down all that footage into a final video anyway so you'll be using an edit somewhere along the line. You get more control of the final result and you can reframe the image a little to make sure you don't loose something you want on the clip.

https://sjcam.com/community/threads/v1-20-test-results.2161/page-2#post-3601

5. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    I think your right Jason, 1.20 was when it was added.

You’d need a card reader as you need to place the update bin on to it. However you may just be able to plug the camera directly into the laptop and copy the update bin file to the card that way, I know you can move files off the camera to a laptop that way.

There’s this post that should help you with updating.

https://sjcam.com/community/threads/firmware-how-to-update.2235/

I’d recommend taking a small card just for the porpoise if updating the camera as it need to be formatted for the update and you don’t want to loose any memories doing so. When your ready to update copy the update I’ll to your spare empty card and go ahead. Then swap your cards back.

6. magicbob

magicbob New Member

Hi guys,
    I do have it set to 1080p but can't find the distortion correction.

What setting needs to be used for photos and where is the distortion setting?

Thank you for your help.

Bob

7. Jason

Jason Moderator

8. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    You won’t find it!

As stated above the setting wasn’t added until 1.20.

9. magicbob

magicbob New Member

In early December, before 1.20, a member here told me there was a setting for this.

That's definitely incorrect?

10. Jason

Jason Moderator

1.20 came out in November

11. Jason

Jason Moderator

@magicbob it comes down to the fact that the SJ7 is an action camera. The majority of action cameras have a super wide field of view to capture all the action and make framing easier when everything is in motion.

The result of having this super wide field of view is barrel distortion - aka the Fisheye look.

This look has become part of the action camera video theme - along with the deep depth of field the lens also gives.

some people like this look as the look is part of the story. Others prefer to have the look rectified.

Any rectification has implications. In camera rectification is limited by the resources of the camera - to rectify a video the camera needs enough memory to store a higher res image before its cropped and also a processor beefy enough to do this real time. It also has to perform interpolation of every frame to smoothly fill in the stretched pixels.

The implications of doing it as part of the post processing are that you have a little extra processing to do but, in general, your PC will have a better processor and more memory than the camera (if it hasn't you need a new PC), plus it isn't doing it real-time. This means it can perform distortion correction on a wider range of resolutions and can use more intensive interpolation methods to calculate the new image.

Both of these methods will result is a loss of clarity at rhe corners where the image is stretched as the new pixels have to be guessed at through interpolation. They also both result in cropping the sides of the image off as the resulting rectified image is wider than the 16:9 original image - although doing the correction in post allows you to letterbox the image to use the full width with black bars above and below.

A third option which alot of drone pilots plumbed for with the Hero 4 was to swap the lens for a narrower, but less distorted, view. This looses the wide angle, invalidates your warranty and makes any camera shake or wobble more noticeable. it does, however give a video with little or no distortion and, provided you use the right lens, no loss of detail or softening of image.