Settings Recommendation for Hockey

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by W155L3R, Jan 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. W155L3R

W155L3R New Member

Good Morning,

I will be using my SJ7 Star to record my hockey games. I am a goalie. For ice games I will be mounting the camera in the net behind me. For roller I will be mounting it up high on the glass behind me. The roller rink doesn't have the best lighting. Planning to record ice at 1080p 60fps and roller at 1080p 120fps. I have a very basic understanding of the options settings wise. I suppose I am just looking for a good starting point on the settings and then make minor adjustments from there. Thank you for your time.

2. Jason

Jason Moderator

If the rinc doesn't have the best lighting then you might want to rethink the 120fps thing. 120fps only gives the images one quarter of the light they would get at 30fps.

There's also the inverse square law to think about. If you double the distance of a subject to a lens then you quarter the light intensity of the image.

3. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Stick with 1080p@60 fps. And test it before you get into your Stanley Cup series closer. [/wink]

If there's enough light to play by, the camera will cope well enough. 120 fps may be pushing the envelope - or not. Try it during practice. If the results don't get it done, there you are. And, of course, try 60 fps in practice. 30 fps, for hockey play, will probably be disappointing, even though the camera won't be moving (unless it knows how to dodge pucks).

One think to watch out for is the "strobe effect" from the rink lighting. Unless you're plagued with simple incandescent lighting, the lighting really blinks at either 60Hz or 50 Hz (depends on where in the world you live). The camera should be able to figure out which rate to correct for, but if you know you've got 50 Hz power and the camera thinks it's 60 Hz (or vice versa), you can set this choice manually.

Let us know how this project comes out. And is that really a 155 wins and 3 losses record? Wow!!

4. W155L3R

W155L3R New Member

I do appreciate the responses. I will stick with 60 fps to start. I am located in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and this is first attempt at recording one of my games. As for as the other settings the camera offers; Auto Low light, ISO, EV, AWB. My camera isn't in front of my but I know I was planning to turn off auto low light. The other options to 0 or auto. Maybe ISO to -0.3 for the game on ice due to bright light and white ice. Am I on the right track or misunderstanding these options completely?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  5. Jason

Jason Moderator

Auto low light changes your framerate so if it thinks the light is too low it would drop the fps from 60 to 30.

DO NOT set the sharpness to soft by the way, that'll ruin your shots (unless you are looking for everything to be sort of out of focus)

6. W155L3R

W155L3R New Member

Once I get back to camera I will post exactly what I was planning to do setting wise for Wednesdays Ice game. Just want to be sure I haven't made any really bad choices.

RBEmerson while my record is pretty decent over my career it isn't THAT good. LOL

7. RBEmerson

I've said this elsewhere but I'll repeat it here - for video, assume ISO, etc. don't even exist. Get the resolution and frame rate that works in practice, with tinkering with anything else, and all should be well.

Cheers from about 100 miles east, down the PATPK. Oh, and, Mr. Goalie, from the Broad St. Bullies days... "only the Lord saves more than Bernie Parent". (Do I date myself? LOL)

8. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

The exposure compensation should usually be used the opposite way. If you like realistic results, then you should apply positive correction for bright ice. Otherwise the video will be underexposed (the ice will be grayish). But sometimes it is better to have underexposed video, rather than smudged moving objects.

9. W155L3R

W155L3R New Member

Thank you for the input. I am going to keep it simple the first time out and see what I end up with. Unless you guys see something that should definitely be changed.
    -1080p 60fps
    -quality: S.Fine
    -Auto Low Light: Off
    -Gyro: Off
    -Sharpness: Normal
    -AWB: Auto
    -EV: 0
    -ISO: Auto
    Maybe a little bit, but its one my favorite goalie quotes. Not much of a Flyers fan but I am rooting for you tonight.

10. RBEmerson

It won't hurt to leave the gyro on and might help when someone bangs the net as they skate around behind it. Of course we know no pucks will hit the net from the inside as you and the Pole brothers, Left, Right, and Crossbar, block everything. Anyway, don't sweat Auto Low Light. It'll only kick in if someone douses some of the lights. Since the camera will be looking across the ice, and not down on it, glare shouldn't be a big issue. But, again, shooting during practice should sort out those issues.

BSB sidelight: we had lunch at the Forkville General Store (see Google maps for same - it's near Worlds End State Park). Mike, the guy who owns it, is a true South Philly guy. On the wall is a picture of Orest Kindrachuk, a name I'd pretty much forgotten. It turns out Kindrachuk sold Mike insurance. It's a little sobering to think about how little players were paid at the time. A lot of them had to get real jobs after their careers ended. BTW, FGS does cheese steaks that challenge Geno's and Pat's. They even use real Amoroso rolls - woohoo! What all of this has to do with the SJ7 is beyond me. LOL

11. W155L3R

W155L3R New Member

For those of you that wanted to see it, here is the footage from my game on Wednesday night. Recorded at 1080p 60fps and left everything else alone. I think it turned out pretty well. Just like the outcome of the game.

12. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Nice video!
    Those cameras with extreme wide lenses are pretty hard to set up for a proper angle to get perfect framing. Any tiny adjustment causes a huge change in the frame. It is very easy to get tilted horizon etc. I like the most the way your camera is positioned since 3:07. In the very end, the camera was turned maybe too much upwards, showing the ceiling where nothing never happens, but missed at least one interesting moment behind your net.

The sound is slightly disturbing, probably because of the noise from the hockey field barriers, to which the camera is attached, passed through the camera support and the body. Maybe there's some way to insulate the camera support from the barrier. Or to use an external mic that has insulated stand.

I cant't comment the game, because I'm not an expert on this game, but I must admit that you have darn good reactions! You are fast as a lightning!

Watched this video few times more and it seems to me, that the video is slightly underexposed. You may try to apply small positive EV correction to get brighter look. If this doesn't hurt the overall sharpness of the moving objects

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  13. W155L3R

W155L3R New Member

The positioning needs to be worked on and locked down. The beginning would have been better but I mounted it on the glass crooked :oops: and you don't have a ton of time to set up. So I had to rotate it in my software and zoom in till the black edges were gone. But I agree. 3:07 is right about where I would like it.

In regards to sound I might try dropping the mic volume a little bit and see what that does. Anytime the puck or bodies/sticks contact the dasher/glass it makes very noticeable sound and i'm not entirely sure what I can do about it but I will try some some things.

Thank you for the nice comments. :) I'm 33 and still feel pretty good when I play. Some higher competition/higher pace roller hockey games will be coming soon. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

14. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I think that dropping the mic level won't help. The other sounds (clapping of hockey stics, whistle from the referee, etc) are just about at right loudness, but unfortunately the source of the noise is the nearest, and hence so loud. I don't know what kind of mount you are using, if it is a clamp type mount, then maybe adding some foamy sheets between the clamp would help. If the mount is a suction type, then there is nothing you can do.

15. W155L3R

W155L3R New Member

It is a suction cup mount. That is the easiest way to move it when switching ends.

16. Jason

Jason Moderator

Great Video

17. RBEmerson

Nice! Was the camera behind the glass? The shot that banged the glass had me wondering about that. Nice editing. What did you use?

The only fix for the audio is to get the HVAC turned off (as if!). Too bad you can't get a faithful lacky down in the boxes, pointing a directional mic at the players. [/laugh]

The exposure came out quite well. It looked as though the rink lighting was pretty good (the stands didn't look shaded out), so I think you nailed it.

Framing? No worries there - if someone like "Saint" Borje Salming (dating myself again) was playing, you'd need it. Talk about skying a puck... Anyway, even the networks miss some of those guys coming around behind the net. I'd leave the framing alone. But use the app to check aiming. The camera was tilted a bit to the left (left side of the ice up, right side down). Checking the video would have sorted that out. Once the game got going, though, I didn't notice it.

If you want to shoot more game video, invest in a big external battery.

That was a pretty good game. I wonder how you'd stack up against the NHL minors? Nice save on the break-away! The defense looked like they were getting the job done - not a lot of pile-ups and scrambly play in front of the net. Well... 91 didn't look like he was making your job easier. Your glove was off when, towards the end, you made that stop?!? You're lucky someone didn't take off a finger or two. Overall? Bernie! Bernie! Bernie! LOL

The only big change I'd make is to buy a second camera, to shoot offense at work, too. [/wink]

18. RBEmerson

Added: Another fix for the audio is to dub in an organist playing "Chaaaaaaarge!", etc. And, of course, from the BSB days, add either Kate Smith or Lauren Hart. That would cover up the HVAC nicely. [/laugh]

19. W155L3R

W155L3R New Member

The camera was inside the glass. Which is where I would prefer if the rink/refs/opposing team doesn't mind. Which means i'll have to cut down on the chirps and be nice and I usually am nice but sometimes it gets a little tense out there. I would like to get a second one just in case the this one takes a puck. Should that happen I am hoping it survives. The battery will have enough record time for roller but ice games are a tad long. With camera inside the glass I can't make it any bulkier by adding an external battery unless i get creative and find away to connect the two safely.

The D did play well. Had some timely zone clears which was a big help. The glove got hung up under my body and slipped right off as I reached back, it was a little scary but fortunately there wasn't anyone too close at the time. Have to preserve the shutout! Really looking forward to getting more footage.

For editing I use Adobe CS6. Mostly Premiere Pro and After Effects. I am definitely an editing rookie. Thanks to some very helpful videos and an entire evening at the computer I was able to get a finished product I liked. I suspect editing will get easier.

20. RBEmerson

Inside the glass... ouch. I suspect a flying puck isn't going to be kind to the camera. Anyway, a long (10') mini-USB to USB cable (while you're on eBay, why not?) would take care of keeping the battery safe at least.

Two editors (both free) to think about: Blackmagic Design's Resolve (pro grade with some things locked out in the freebie version) - it's a serious resource hog, but it can do tons of good things. The other candidate is Shotcut (no "r"). It's easier on resources, does a lot, but has some holes in it, too. I usually wind up using a mix of both of them.

It looked like there was some powerplay activity in parts of the videoed game? What's the story behind your 23's two-color number?