Remote coverage under water

Discussion in 'SJ6 LEGEND' started by anigwei, Jun 22, 2017.

1. anigwei

anigwei New Member

Hi,

I bought SJ6 and its remote controller (wrist) in January.

I haven't used the remote controller since today. I've discovered that it barely works under water...

May be in six months without using the remote, the battery has to be replaced?

Do you use the Remote under water without problem?

Thanks!

2. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

@anigwei
    Well, yes, they really don't need to design it to be waterproof since there is no possible way for consumer-based wireless devices to work underwater, the radio signals won't be able to go too far to actually send out commands to another device that you wish to control.

Even submarines with huge antenna arrays need to surface for any real-time communication to work properly. So your remote, although it can take some splashes and an occassional dip, won't work.

Unless there are actual wires that go from the remote to the device it is supposed to work on is present, there's just no way it's gonna happen.

Waterproof so that the remote is protected, is a different topic. In which case, yes, about recreational swimming pool depths perhaps but not more than that. And only the end version of the SJCAM remote, not the ones with the white icons in front.

Ken J likes this.
  3. anigwei

anigwei New Member

Hi Troy,

So it's not a battery nor coverage problem. It's a "misinformation" problem. I think I have the new/good one (this), I was doing basic diving on the sea (less than 1m of depth) and it did'nt work.

It features: "3M waterproof provides more fun when filming under water" so it's a bit ambiguous to customers if it really doesn't work under water cause of bad propagation of signals under water.

Thank you for the information!

4. normand

normand New Member

SJCAM RF Wrist Remote Control Watch Main Features:

●Power off

●Waterproof up to 3 meters (10 feet)

●Video/Photo

●WiFi on/off

●Burst Mode

Specifications

watch size:35*35*9.6 mm

Note: the older version remote with white buttons was discontinued in November 2016. Some online resellers have not updated their photos yet so please confirm they have the 3m waterproof version without the white button text.