Reasons for a battery not delivering its rated power/capacity

Discussion in 'Battery Tests' started by sjcam_admin, May 22, 2017.

1. sjcam_admin

sjcam_admin Administrator Staff Member

Reasons for a battery not delivering its rated power/capacity are:

1. Charger used cuts off power too early, and also, doesn't "trickle" towards the end.
    2. Current draw from the charger is too big, essentially a "rapid charge," which may shorten battery life significantly.
    3. Climate too cold. Lithium batteries almost refuse to charge completely (some not even halfway) in such cold environments, leaving you with not enough usable charge.
    4. Like number 3, in extreme cold conditions, Lithium batteries almost refuse to expend stored charge because the medium in which the charge is stored slows down the transfer of electrons. This is a known problem with Lithium batteries.
    5. Faulty charging cable. Try replacing the cable and see if it helps. Fatter cables have less resistance in the wire, making charging more efficient.
    6. Faulty charging circuit. Contact support.sjcamhd.com if you strongly feel this is the case.

2. john paul

john paul New Member

when i received the camera from the seller. the battery was drained, to i decided to charge it. suddenly it sparks and release smoke. what should i do?

3. sjcam_admin

sjcam_admin Administrator Staff Member

Hi John Paul, please crete a ticket at support.sjcamhd.com and let them know about this.

4. Ephraim

Ephraim New Member

Can I attached a battery indicator while charging the batteries? It really saves me when I'm charging since I see the indicator if it's already full.

5. CoraDias

CoraDias New Member

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge in most cases, the decrease is linear and capacity fade is mostly a function of cycle count and age. A deep discharge stresses the battery more than a partial discharge. It is therefore better not to discharge the battery fully but charge it more often. A periodic full discharge is only recommended on nickel-based batteries to control memory and on smart batteries as part of calibration. Lithium- and nickel-based batteries deliver between 300 and 500 full discharge/charge cycles before the capacity drops below 80 percent.