Problems with SJ7 Star

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Niels, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Niels

Niels New Member

So I got my SJ7 Star last week and I have a lot of problems while recording.

Problem with the recording resolutions.

I only have options with 100FPS and 200FPS on 720p and 100FPS on 1080p even after updating the Firmware with the latest I could find the support website [LINK]

I did have the option of 120FPS and 240FPS on 720p and 120FPS on 1080p after the first flashing of the new firmware but after a reboot of the camera they are back to the first numbers.

Even after reflashing the new firmware update again through the camera they won't change to 120FPS and 240FPS.

The SJCam Zone app is not asking me to update the firmware of the camera that is why I flashed it through the manual method.

Storage of the settings.

After every reboot the settings are back to the default settings on every menu option. It doesn't matter what I change it is always back to the default after I shutdown the camera.

Camera deletes the last recorded video at camera boot?
    This is a big problem as it removes the use of the camera as an actioncam.
    To record I have a 32GB Genuine Samsung SD card UHS 1 class. If I record a video and I look on the camera after I recorded the video is there, when I record another video I can see that there are 2 video's on the camera and I can rewatch both of them on the camera.

When I shutdown the camera and put my SD card in my PC there are 2 video's on the SD card in the AMBA folder but when I put the card back in the camera there is only 1 video according to the camera and if I shutdown the camera and look on the SD card there is indeed only 1 video left and the 2nd video is completely wiped clean of the SD card.
    After putting the SD card back in the camera and starting it up there are no video's left on the camera and if I put the SD card in my PC the only thing that is left on the SD card are 3 completely empty folders: AMBA, MISC, EVENT. (Not even hidden files)

This is not a problem if you can just copy the video of the SD card every time you stop recording but I am riding my mountain bike and that is not an option.

Does anybody have an idea what this could be?

2. Niels

Niels New Member

After creating a ticket on support.sjcamhd.com they send me a solution:

Which firmware version are you running?
    Follow these steps to install the new firmware v1.0.6:
    1. Extract the memory card form your camera.
    2. Format the memory card to FAT32 in your computer. NOTE: If the card is nor formatted to FAT32 the update may not happen.
    3. Copy the firmware file in your card. You can download the new firmware from HERE.
    4. Insert the card into the camera and connect the card into a power supply. If you battery is fully charged, you don't need to connect it to a power supply.
    5. Turn on the camera, go to settings and select Version. The camera will ask you if you want to update the firmware.
    6. Accept and wait until the process finishes.
    7. Turn the camera on again.

Hope this helps!​

I was running firmware version v1.0 and they had v1.0.6 as a beta release.
    This version fixed all the problems I had with the camera.

I am not sure if I can distribute the link so I removed it from the post but I asked support if I can add it again in this post for people with the same problem(s).
    Update: I got permission to post it here so I updated the steps

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  3. SJCAM_Support

SJCAM_Support Moderator Staff Member

Hi Niels,

thank you for posting the link and the instructions of the latest firmware.

Keep an eye on the firmware section for future updates!

4. H.Beels

H.Beels New Member

Pensioner
    Neue Stücker 6, 69118 Heidelberg, Germany
    Just aquired the SJCAM SJ7 STAR and really felt that there is little information supplied with the camara.

Long trail and error was required to tune up the watch with the camera, since there is no description whatsoever how to get there.

So had to go to You Tube where I found an instruction film by a 3rd person explaining all the functions in detail!

I received the camara from gear best, where they shipped this for me on March 15, 2017.

I had to wait about a months until it was available there.

Looked on the SJCAM Web-Site for more in depth user information about my camera, but couldn't find the SJ7STAR reference mentioned!!! I can see many different cams, but not the SJ7Star (looked into the manual of the SJ 6 which is similar, but different in many ways)

Question????

1) Should I download a manual of an other cam reference???

2) Do I need to perform a software update on the camara to get to the latest firmware.This was suggested in the show and tell video on You-Tube.

Sofar all is functioning well and the video and pictures are great.

I will use the camara for Oldtimer Rallyes in my 1970-ties Jaguar E-Type, what is the best setting. for the moment I chose 1080 60 frames per sec with Gyro.

3) Is this correct setting with Gyro function or can I go to a higher setting??

Thank you in advance for an answere in return

Best regards

Hans R. Beels

5. Peter Watkins

Peter Watkins New Member

Firstly - to go back to Niels' Post which is old so he may have found the answer by now. The Frame Rate on the SJ7 Star is related to the country that you are in and whether it has 50Hz or 60Hz power. This allows the frame rate to be synchronised with anything involving power suchas video of mains driven lighting. If the lighting is at 50Hz (most of the world except the USA) and you are taking video at a 60Hz synchronised frame rate (30fps 60fpd 120 fps or 240fps) then you will get flicker on the recorded video. Also if you are playing back on a 50Hz synchronised TV you will also get flicker. This is part of the difference between the main world TV standard PAL and the NTSC standard used in the USA and a few other countries.

The SJ7 Star is really good in that it allows this to be controlled. You go to Settings>Tools>TV Mode where you can set TV to be either NTSC (the default) or PAL. If you set to NTSC frame rates are set to 30/60/120/240. If PAL then the frame rates are 25/50/100/200. This provides a much better, more stable picture. You can also set Settings>Tools>Light Frequency to 50 or 60Hz. This however itself doesn't change the Frame Rates and I am not really sure what it does at the moment.

6. Tamas Nadhazi

Tamas Nadhazi New Member

Hi,
    I have some problem with my new SJcam Star 7.
    I have tried 3 different SD card. Also I followed the steps in your "update firmware file".
    one is a Generic 128GB and the camera couldn't see it, I have tried to format it in different formats.
    I have then tried a 64GB card, which could only record 14 sec video then it stops recording and saying Low speed card. I have formatted that one as well. no joy.
    The 3rd is a 32GB SanDisk UH and had the same experience as the 64GB card, it said low speed card after 14sec video recording.
    Don't know if the camera is faulty or not?
    Also you recommend to format all card in FAT32, but it is only working with cards under 32GB...
    Any idea?
    Do you offer any repair service, I have ordered the product from this website.

thanks

7. Vitor França

Vitor França New Member

Hello, good evening, how are you ?
    I also got SJ 7 Star and I'm having several problems.
    1ª I can not download the firmware v1.0.6: it says that the file that tried to download is no longer available ( In the site SJCAM)

2ª, I do not have the option of Slow Motion

3ª I do not have FOV settings

4ª The touch works badly only without the cover

Can someone help me?