Pressing shutter button, camera screen goes blank and shuts off immediately

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Allan, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Allan

Allan New Member

Hi all,

I hope you are all doing well.

I've been experiencing issues with my SJ7 Star pretty much since I bought it.

When I turn on the camera, then press record (shutter button) the screen immediately goes blank and the camera turns off. I have to then turn it back on and try again. There are a lot of moments where I have to keep repeating these steps over and over before it will actually record.

Then sometimes after I get it to start recording, head out on the bike, only to find out after that it had crashed and turned off again after a few mins. When I turn back on the camera is asks me "recover video" or something along those lines.

Im using a Sandisk Extreme PLUS U3 V30 64GB card, battery is fully charged. Firmware V1.21

Ive experienced this on earlier firmwares also. Hence why I decided to update the FW. Ive factory reset the camera, updated firmware multiple times.
    After a fresh firm update the camera will work fine for a while. After a fresh factory reset it will again work fine for a while.

Sitting at home testing it after a fresh update and all goes well. I put the camera into its waterproof case and head on out. Any time I NEED it to work it just wont and I end up playing around with it for ages.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue. Ive just sent in a support ticket as the camera is only a few months old.

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

First, V1.21 is closer to being a beta than not. Unless it does something you can't live without (don't know what that would be), stick with 1.20 or go back to 1.15 (can't hurt to try 1.15 as, if nothing else, a quick test).

As long as you have a decent C10 SD, don't sweat the details. If the files are trash, then try another SD.

Installing firmware does a full reset except for zeroing out date and time of day.

As a test, load 1.20 (even is it's already installed). Pull the battery (not a bad idea after any crash - required in some hard crashes). Connect the camera to your PC/Mac. Push the power button (without a battery, the camera doesn't power up on its own). Tap Ext. Power (middle bar on the screen). Go into the setup and change the screen blank time to OFF. Change the shutdown time to OFF. Exit the menu. Push the shutter briefly and wait to see what happens. The blue LED circle should light up and stay lit, the screen should show a red dot and the elapsed time for shooting.

Let us know what happens.

3. Allan

Allan New Member

Thanks for your response RBEmerson. I have downgraded to V1.20 and am testing.

I have formatted the card (in cam)
    Default Setting
    Update firm (v1.21 back to v1.20) first by using firmware.bin
    Default Setting
    Format card in PC
    Update firm again by using SJ7_FWUPDATE.bin
    Default Setting
    Format carn in cam

Running some tests now. I was able to reproduce my original issue once or twice so far. I'm trying different resolutions but the issue is not as prominent. HOWEVER this was exactly the same behavior as before, It will work fine for a while then all of a sudden (when i really need it to work) it will just freeze up on me again. Getting excited heading out on the dirt-bike and mount it on my helmet, it will start acting up again. I have reproduced this issue a couple of times indoors while testing also.

I have a video of todays issues BEFORE my upgrade but im not able to post links yet.

I'll follow your other steps shortly and report back. Thank you.

UPDATE: I can now post a link, (I hope this doesn't violate forum terms) video file is on my Drive https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZJjd9ZNUOb_0bET99QSKYCZo4I7M4klb

It highlights my issue (V1.21 in the video)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  4. RBEmerson

I can save some time here. Just put firmware.bin on the SD. After the update ends, format the SD.

Any firmware load resets the camera. Formatting the SD after using firmware.bin removes that file, so there's no surprise reload. That's also why I prefer using SJ7_FWUPDATE: you have to specifically use it, not just rely on a default when booting up.

The camera still crashes, jut not as often, correct? Have you tried V1.15? If the camera, with V1.15, fails about as often as with V1.20, but less than V1.21, I suspect the camera isn't doing well. How long have you had it?

5. Allan

Allan New Member

Yeah I understand that. I really don't mind doing the extra steps. I flash the firmware on my phone a lot and I just feel better repeating the steps and resetting stuff in between just to ensure the flash has fully overwritten everything.

I purposely used each version of the .bin files. First to flash it automatically, then use the other one to manually do it. Just so it sticks lol.

At present yes its not that often. BUT that was the same when using V1.21. I will have to leave v1.20 on for a while in everyday use to really know and report back after a few days use. While messing at home with V1.21 it worked totally fine for a few hours. Then all of a sudden boom. So im not holding my breath just in case.

I havent tried V1.15 yet. as I mentioned the issue it quite intermittent so Ill run V1.20 for a while then try V1.15 if I still have the same issue.

It did freeze up on me just after my previous response. I tried to record it but once I turned the cam back on it's working fine now. Typical when you try to record something.

Ive had it about 9 months so it's still in warranty. I have a ticket open already and waiting for a response.

6. RBEmerson

Either an update works or it doesn't. There's no need to to worry about "sticking".

Your comments point more and more towards a wonky camera. V1.15 is very stable, and V1.20 seems to be equally so. You should be seeing a Mean Time Between Failure on the order of many days, if not weeks. If the MTBF is the same with V1.20 and V1.15... there you are.