Powerbank Question

Discussion in 'SJ6 LEGEND' started by Capyboppy, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Capyboppy

Capyboppy New Member

I know somewhere I have seen this posted but I can't find it and in case case have a couple of extra questions.

I believe I can use a power bank to run my SJ6 Legend if for example I wanted to do time-lapse which runs over the length of battery time. I have an Energizer 20000mAh power bank. Model number: UE20001 Output Power: 74Wh; Input: 5v - 2.OA; Output: 5v - 2.OA.

Because I had read that it was okay to use up to 2A I gave it a whirl and it worked okay. However, I would first like to check if it is normal for the camera to get quite warm when used in this way. Also I haven't been able to find anything concrete on whether the battery should be left in or not. I took it out. I found if I took the battery out first it would go into charging mode. If I plugged the charger in while the camera was on with the battery in; then I could then take the battery out and the camera would continue to be powered by the power bank.

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct way of using please? Or if I have missed something/done something wrong.

2. Jason

Jason Moderator

I used the SJ7 with a 20000mAh battery but switched to a smaller 5000mAh powerbank and it'll take video 4.5 hours untill the SD card was full. I think the 5000mAh bank lasted 8 hours on timelapse photo.

It gets hot and will shut down if it gets too hot but I'm using mine in an aluminum frame made for a Gopro Hero 4 which dissipates the heat nicely so now it's only getting warm.

As the real time clock isn't battery backed as soon as I pull out the main battery the time and date are reset so I leave the battery in. Once the power bank is flat the camera switches off instead of using the internal battery.

Not sure how much of that applies to the SJ6 though.

Capyboppy likes this.
  3. Capyboppy

Capyboppy New Member

Thank you for your reply Jason.

I do have a smaller power bank at 2600, so I could give that a try and see how it compares heat wise.

I didn't check if it affected the time stamp. Although I don't normally bother with it, it is typical the one time I may find it useful it isn't there; so that is something else I will check, although I think it would be the same as the J7Star.

Would you say then it doesn't make any difference if you leave the battery in or out? I wasn't sure if the battery might overheat or swell being rather ignorant on these things :-O.

The aluminium frame sounds a good idea too if the Sj6 will fit as well.

Many thanks for your reply and feel free to add anything else I might need to know. Now all I have to find out is how to get the RAW photos to be acknowledge/seen. Tried 3 different programs and nothing. Also downloaded CameraRAW but it seems it is just a plugin for Adobe products which I don't have.

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I tested with SJ5000x external power sources extensively this summer and I suggest to leave the battery in, but keep it fully charged. Otherwise problems my occur. For instance, my camera stopped recording, if the battery was not fully charged, when recording on external power - as soon as the battery got fully charged. Another problem is, that when recording and charging at the same time, then the current draw might be too high for the power bank or for the charger. If to remove the battery from the camera when recording on external power, then the risk to loose the recorded video is too high - when the external power source gets exhausted or when there will be even shortest interruption, the camera powers off and the current recording is ruined. It could be restored by some disk utilities, but you certainly can't restore the video that remained unrecorded because of the interruption.

Capyboppy likes this.
  5. Capyboppy

Capyboppy New Member

Many thanks Sulev. That is a very good point about losing the video if the source gets exhausted. While I shouldn't think I would be in that position for it to run that long, one can never say never :). What mAh power did you try? I tried the lower one as I stated above and like Jason, found there was a lot less heat coming from it. But saying that, this time I left the battery in so I don't know if that was anything to do with it. Should I be concerned about using. the 20000 mAh power bank?

6. Jason

Jason Moderator

The 20000mAh should work - I've used one on the SJ7. The change to the 5000mAh is more because of the size.

Here's the 5000mAh attached to my hand grip with a 20000mAh and a 30000mAh
    Power bank standing next to it. Easier to cart around the smaller one on the grip than the larger one in a pocket with trailing power cord that can get snagged.

Attached Files:

7. Capyboppy

Capyboppy New Member

Good picture Jason. Looks like you are into using your cam big style :). If you were using your larger one, wouldn’t you use it without the power cord? I.e. on top of a hill filming the sunrise.

8. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I tested several solutions. From ca 2000 mAh to 144000 mAh (two 72000 mAh UPS batteries). No problem related with the large capacity was detected.

Jason likes this.
  9. Jason

Jason Moderator

By power cord I meant the USB cable between the power bank and the camera.

Of course if the camera is going to be static for a long time then the portability doesn't matter and the bigger capacity power banks work fine.