Power bank recommendations for SJ7 Star

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Bob, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Bob

Bob New Member

Any recommendations for not too expensive power banks (USA) for using with an SJ7 Star camera? I'd like to use it for some time lapse video - perhaps running several hours or so.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. Jason

Jason Moderator

3. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

For those in the US or using eBay.com and who want to kick butt and take names later, try this 50000 mAh beast.

For those in Euro-land, consider this beast, curiously, it's listed as coming from the US.

For those who spell their money with an £, consider this beast.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  4. Bob

Bob New Member

5. Bob

Bob New Member

I don't think I'll be needing a huge power bank. Something that would run the camera for, say, 4 or 5 hours should be enough so I suppose a 5,000 mAh would be enough. That said, I would have no problem with a larger one. In fact, I could use it for other devices. But I don't want one that's physically huge because I'll probably carry it in a pocket.

Jason: Thanks for the link to another thread. I'll check that out.

BTW, dumb question, but can I power the SJ7 with a power bank either with the camera battery installed or with the camera battery removed? Either way would be fine but I would like to power the camera rather than just charge the battery.

RBemerson: The first link in your reply takes me to a motorcycle parts site. Could you post a link to the power bank you mentioned. It sounds interesting and I'd like to check it out. (BTW, the whole reason I bought the camera is to use it on my motorcycle.)

Lastly, I'm in the USA. Is there any difference between power banks from England and the USA besides who the seller is? I know - dumb question but I thought I'd ask because I see it mentioned alot.

6. RBEmerson

US eBay link - all better.

There's no difference in power packs - almost all packs have two standard USB "power out" connectors and a micro (or mini) USB connector for charging. Any change would apply to the charger's plug - most are 110/220 50/60 Hz capable.

Check out the prices; a 50K mAh isn't a big hit in the wallet. You can't use power you don't have. [/grin]

7. Bob

Bob New Member

Thanks much! I'm checking out the 50K power bank you linked to right now. I appreciate the help.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  8. Jason

Jason Moderator

The USB input is 5v so running it off the power bank is fine.

9. RBEmerson

Concur. Past that, I almost always shoot with external power without a problem. If there were a problem, the magic smoke would have come out of my camera (bought in June '17) as the camera stopped working - still shooting.

10. Bob

Bob New Member

Thanks again! That answers all my questions perfectly. I really appreciate your help.

11. RBEmerson

You're welcome - that's what the forum's for. [/smile]

12. Bob

Bob New Member

I did check out that 50K mAh power bank. This is all new to me but ithe price, the claimed mAh and the size made me a little suspicious so I went to Amazon to see if they have the same one. (I like to read reviews on Amazon.) One that appears to be about the same one got terrible reviews and some people called it an outright scam with nothing even close to the 50K mAh rating it claims and poor quality to boot. But at least I'm learning what to look for and checking out that power bank got me up to speed. I just mention this so anyone thinking of getting it should probably check it out carefully. From what I've seen, it looks like I'll be looking for a highly rated power bank of about 20K mAh because of size and price.

Thanks again!

BTW, I'm buying a power bank to use on my motorcycle and, specifically, for a trip I'm taking to Big Bend National Park next month. I ride a Triumph Rocket III Touring. It's a beast! 2300 CCs. But what a great road bike! I took it on a 10,000 mile solo trip last year.

13. RBEmerson

Unless the pack comes from a battery store or something like it (so you can bring it back and complain), yes, buying an essentially no-name pack is something of a gamble. I have two packs that came from different sources (bought in eBay). I used the packs for a week of riding in the Alps, filming non-stop, except for a mid-day break. I swapped the packs at the point. I left the screen on (in retrospect no a good idea - screens eat power) and I left WiFi on (checking - with the phone app - aiming every couple of hours - WiFi's a power eater, too, but I'd rather have well aimed video than leaving WiFi off). The only battery failure was, unfortunately, I didn't swap the pack - "I can make this last a couple of hours more". Silly me. (BTW, 128 Gb chip is good for maybe a day and a half. I downloaded the chip to my lap top every night - zero data lost there). At the end of the trip I had about 500 Gb of video. Big packs, big chips - works for me.

I wear an Aerostich Roadcrafter (don't leave home without one!); stuffing multiple packs into a pocket is easy-peasy.

There's a saying in flying: "in bad times, you can't use altitude above you, you can't use runway behind you, and you can't use gas you burned". So... "you can't use battery you don't have".

Shamelessly bragging on myself, here's my channel, with all of the Alps videos and a few others. They were shot in 1080@60 fps. The camera was on a chin mount. I edited them with a combination of Shotcut and Blackmagic Design's Resolve 12.5. FWIW, you need a serious kick butt machine with a serious kick butt graphics card to edit the camera's MP4's smoothly. Also, buy the SJCam motorcycle case! The SJ7 isn't even close to water-resistant. The case means you can be caught in a frog-choker rain and not worry about the camera drowning.

14. Phil Rosa-Leeke

Phil Rosa-Leeke New Member

15. RBEmerson

Looks nice but 20K mAh is so yesterday. Now 120K mAh... yowsa!! [/wink]

Phil Rosa-Leeke likes this.
  16. Jason

Jason Moderator

Just noticed something with a different power bank, The two that I posted would just power the camera straight away but with a different bank of a different make I got the menu asking if it was "Mass Storage", "Ext Power" or "Charge"

17. RBEmerson

Which is what happens from a PC/Mac USB port. I've never seen it with either of my packs, even fully charged. Hmmm... I wonder why that is? Barring a miracle, though, I doubt we'll ever find out.

18. Jason

Jason Moderator

I'm suspecting that that specific pack might pull the data lines high/low which the camera sees and thinks it's connected to a PC, while the others probably don't have the data lines connected.

That's the one I usually keep on me to charge my phone if needs be so I'm not bothered. Pressing "Ext Power" on the rare occasion (if ever) that it'll be used with the camera isn't hard.

19. RBEmerson

Hmmm... the big question is why would a battery pack even think about messing with the data leads. Oh well, done is done.

20. Jason

Jason Moderator

Don't know but so far my phone hasn't exploded so NOT BOVVERED