Poor quality @ 1080 120fps (pixelated)

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Skud, Dec 9, 2017.

?

Any one experiencing Video Quality issue for SjCAM 7

1. YES

89.3%
  2. NO

7.1%
  3. Sometimes

3.6%
  1. corallino

corallino New Member

Capitano di macchina
    [QUOTE = "RBEmerson, post: 5184, member: 286"] Puoi inserire i due clip (1080 @ 30 e 1080 @ 120) dove possono essere scaricati? Il 1080 @ 120 non sembra davvero 1080. Voglio ispezionarlo con MediaInfo per scoprire di cosa si tratta realmente
    A Allego documento , che è una copia di MediaInfo , dove sono riportati tutti i dati del video impostato a 1080p - 120 dal menù della Sicam SJ7 Star :

Attached Files:

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

EDIT: Original post deleted.

The video is 1080@ 120 fps. The video bitrate is about 70 Mb/S, which should work with any recent PS with a 5 core (i5) processor and about 4 Gb of memory.

What apps have you used to play back the video? Have you tried playing the video back with MPC-HC? What editor are you using?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  3. Stani John

Stani John New Member

I think my issue was with choosing NTSC initially since our power is 50 Hz here. I changed it to PAL now but will need to re-check with higher FPS.

4. RBEmerson

If you're in the 50 Hz domain, yes, PAL will be ...well... your pal.

Stani John likes this.
  5. Stani John

Stani John New Member

So I finally checked it with 60 FPS and 120 FPS and it's working great now. So my issue was wrongly setting video to NTSC.

I have one other very annoying issue though. After turning on the cam, I am having issue's with recording. It does not turn ON when I press the button on top. It does not work in single press, or button hold for 5 second;s etc. It's like it has a mind of it's own. Sometime's if it starts recording, it does not turn OFF even after I press the top button. In this case I just power off by pressing the front Power Button. I'm on the latest V1.2 firmware.

A workaround for this right now is, I connect the cam through wifi with my iphone and Turn the recording ON and OFF through my iphone SJ CAM app.

6. RBEmerson

Is the camera in a case when the shutter button doesn't work properly?

7. Stani John

Stani John New Member

I tried it with both on and outside the case. It does not work properly. I think there is some problem with that button. I checked it right now again and it works only on really hard presses after 2 or 3 second's. Again turning OFF is a problem unless pressed really hard.

I have a doubt it might be a software issue with the cam because when i swipe the screen from bottom to up, there is a record option shown on the screen, even that record option does not work.Also I'm hearing a Beep sound sometimes while pressing the hard button on top, but it does not record. So I'm not sure if it is a software or hardware issue.

I now have Quick Capture turned to ON, so it starts recording automatically when the Cam is turned ON and to turn OFF I just shutdown the Cam's power.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  8. RBEmerson

I suspect it's a hardware issue. What happens with the setup button, under the power button?

I do not recommend doing this, but... the front cover can come off with a bit of gentle probing with something, really thin, around the front of the case. Under no circumstances should you stuff in a screwdriver and twist. Period. No joke. You might, maybe, possibly, by chance see why the buttons don't respond as they should. Understand, though, if you're unwise enough to do what I don't recommend, you'll wipe out the camera's warranty. After that, you're really, truly, completely on your own.

Or you can go fora warranty replacement.

Stani John likes this.
  9. Stani John

Stani John New Member

Thanks for the Support man. I actually don't want to risk opening it and voiding my warranty. I also did not want to send my cam back to gearbest for warranty claims as it would take more than a month for me to get back my cam as I'm awaiting my new bike and want this cam with me then.

I think I got the button to work thankfully, All I did was re-install my firmware V1.2 and it's working perfectly now. Thanks once again RBEmerson.

10. pan man

pan man New Member

what about the terrible pixelation @1080p 120fps!????? i should probably return the camera :(

vlcsnap-2018-02-04-16h21m38s510.jpg vlcsnap-2018-02-04-16h22m24s465.jpg vlcsnap-2018-02-04-16h27m22s651.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Jason

Jason Moderator

It looks as if the anti-aliasing algorithm used is having problems with the 120fps. Looking at your photos it's performing especially badly on the junctions where there are high contrast - for example on your first photo when you have the selfie the anti-aliasing of the black and orange on the jacket is better than the areas where there is black/white borders. On your third photo at the top right the bottom of the sign is treated a lot better than the higher contrast blue/white areas of the sign or the areas against the sky.

I don't know if they've taken a short cut on the 120/240fps to manage the frame rates but I think it is going to be firmware based - which shows up at it's worst in high contrast scenes

12. kyrneh

kyrneh New Member

Hi,
    is there any news on the problem with the poor quality in high speed mode?

I also have an SJ7 STAR and I get terrible picture quality in every high speed mode (120 & 240 fps @ 60Hz, 100 & 200 fps @ 50Hz).
    Pixelated and full of artifacts.

A screenshot from a 240fps/720p video:

sj_720_240.jpg

See the stairs on the bridge in background, the artifacts on watersplash. It looks so crappy....

I tested different firmwares, latest 1.21, 50Hz, 60Hz, PAL, secam - always the same.
    I use SD card samsung 64GB EVO plus and I filmed in bright sunshine.

What could that be? What can I do?

I´m so disappointed. The high speed modes were the reason for buying this camera... :(

Hope you can help me.

best regards from Germany
    Henryk

13. RBEmerson

Es tut mir leid aber es kann nicht geändert werden.

I'm sorry, but it can't be changed.

This problem has been reported several times and, right now, there's no change in sight. The problem is in the programming for the image processing in the camera. It has nothing to do with the SD.

14. kyrneh

kyrneh New Member

Thank you, but it's so sobering....

Then unfortunately I have to sell :(

best regards
    Henryk

15. RBEmerson

Or, if you can do it, keep the camera, hope SJCam's firmware crew goes back to work on the SJ7 firmware, and fixes the problem.

How did you buy the camera? Amazon, MediaMarkt, or...?

16. kyrneh

kyrneh New Member

Gearbest

Waiting and hoping are not my best ability :cool:

I will see. The price was very good and perhaps I can sell with not so high loss...

17. RBEmerson

Geduld muss man haben... ;)
    You have to have patience.