Poor 4K Video Quality, Cropping not good enough

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Captain, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Captain

Captain New Member

Dear colleagues and movie experts, :p
    I have SJCAM SJ7 STAR and now... Full HD shooting is great, but there is an issue with 4K recording... :(

Specifically, I want to crop the part (a quarter) of the 4K video in Full HD format but it doesn't look OK, it is not a Full HD, there are pixelization and noise in the video... I'm not happy, that's not it. :confused:
    I know it should be much better.

[​IMG]

I look forward to your professional opinion, thank U.
    Why is that so, and what I have to do? ;)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  2. Captain

Captain New Member

I just saw an SJ7 4K cropped footage that is much better than mine. ;) Maybe this is because of the old firmware that was better? My version is 1.22 and it's the latest but doesn't mean the best. I know that 1.21 is also not valid. :(

3. foggystone

foggystone New Member

Hard to really answer this question without much more detail about your workflow such as camera settings, lens, lighting, codec etc. Generally speaking- apparent grain in any sort of footage is due to one or more of the following possible reasons: underexposure, excessive gain or simply a highly compressed camera codec that doesn't create a pristine signal.
    My advice:
    (1) Make sure you aren't using some in-camera setting which aggravates noise. Some flat exposure curves can worsen noise.
    (2) In general if you "expose to the right" this may help.
    (3) By all means consider noise processing such as Neat Video. IMO every clip of the final product should be meticulously post-processed, whether for color, exposure, stability, etc. Noise processing is just one more step of many.
    There are several articles I found that may enlighten you.

https://www.videoproc.com/edit-4k-video/4k-resolution.htm
    https://www.ubergizmo.com/what-is/1080p/