Photography with the SJ5000x, and more

Discussion in 'SJ5000 Series' started by pandit, Sep 1, 2017.

1. pandit

pandit New Member

I was a active member of the SJCAM forum. Yesterday I discover that the old forum is gone and my account is deleted. So I made a new account on the new forum. I'm disappointed about this.

I own two SJcam camera's A SJ4000WiFi and a SJ5000X, mainly I use it underwater with snorkeling and diving. Although the specs of the SJ5000x is better then the SJ4000WiFi, The video quality of the SJ4000 is much better then the SJ5000x. Underwater I use the SJ4000 for video and the SJ5000x for photography. I have some issues and questions about the SJ5000x

In the SJ5000x I have a MIXZA 128GB Class10 UHS-1 Memory Card , which works stable for two years with video.

(1) When making photo's it take a while before I can make a next photo. I shoot in RAW, so maybe it take time to write the photo on the memory card. Is this normal behavior or can I speed up to use a faster memory card? What is the fasted memory card the 5000x accept ? UHS-3 ?

(2) After a while the camera shuts itself down while making photo's . this is annoying while diving. it take some time before the camera is powered up every time. With video I don't have this problem. Maybe the memory-card is to slow!?

(3) The underwater housing distort the pictures, especially in the corners. I see that SJcam made a new model housing. are these problems solved in this new housing? I wish to have a dome in front of the lens. Unfortunately they are hard to find for SJCAM camera's. while there are plenty for sale for the overpriced GoPro. The problem is the location of the power button at the SJCAM cam's, they are at the front. At a Brazilian site I found dome's for SJcam's made by a Brazilian company . Because I'm new here again :-( :-( :-( :-( . I can't post links. and I don't understand Portuguese.

Sincere Pandit

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

(1) I don't think, that any faster memory card could considerably improve the photo shooting speed. Use the Burst mode, if faster shooting rate is needed. With the regular Still shot mode or with the Underwater mode, it takes ca 3 seconds after every single shot to get ready for the next shot. With the Burst mode selected, the camera can take up to 10 shots in 3 seconds, and then it needs ca 3 seconds for preparing for the next burst (for writing files to the memory card etc). I don't know if the underwater mode is required, when diving, or not.

(2) What is your selected value for the Auto Power Off setting? When it is set to Off, then the camera should not turn off automatically even in the Underwater mode, unless the battery gets depleted (might be an issue in the cold water, where the capacity of the Li-ion battery may be significantly reduced).

(3) You can post a link after your second posted message here.

3. pandit

pandit New Member

The "problem" with the shut down is solved. Auto Shut Down was et on 3 minutes. I changes it to 10 minutes. Thank for your tip. I will start a new topic about the dome. One issue. While diving I put underwater mode on. I want to put it back, but the camera stayed on underwater mode.

sincere Pandit

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

For disabling the Underwater mode, you should select some other recording mode (for example the Video-photo mode or the Photo Lapse mode). Selecting the Playback mode or the Settings does not cancel current mode.