Photo organization

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by RBEmerson, Jan 31, 2018.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

It's an old story: we've got something like 10K+ (55 Gb+) of pictures covering everything from documenting screwed up renovations to artsy-fartsy images - la-de-da. My stuff is at least grouped by dates. My wife's stuff is "everything that fits on the chip" (now on #7 on 32 Gb SD's).

The primary need is to get this stuff under control thematically: "Trip to St. Kitts - 1998" or "Mom's birthday - 2008", etc. The next level of complexity is to have file DSCF1234, a picture of Mom during Christmas 2010, appear in "Christmas - 2010" and "Here's Mom cooking!". Same file - two albums.

Add housekeeping - tossing duplicates, merging two or more cameras' output, etc. And, of course, some level of image manipulation (contrast, hue, cropping, etc.). I have some degree of success with GIMP; serious retouching, etc. can be done there and brought back into the original collection.

Start with the free software. Picasa, although dropped by Google, has some value, but it's far too cloud dependent. We actually go to places with no usable Internet (gasp!). Drop Picasa. FastStone seems to be a contender. MAGIX has a free manager (somewhat cripple-ware). I'm not adverse to paying for a good manager, but I have a small collection of "what was I thinking?!?" and "too bad they went out of business" representing at least another SJ7. Setting fire to more money for something that I find is lame at best - that's not high on my list.

So... now what?

2. RBEmerson

I've started to work with digiKam under Linux. There is a Win10 version, but it's not very stable.

The learning curve is ...um... precipitously steep.

3. Jason

Jason Moderator

kPhotoAlbum - But that's linux.

4. RBEmerson

No problem with that - I'll check out kPhotoAlbum. digiKam appears to rely solely on tags to organize material. Keeping track of tags and photos... not so much fun. I'm looking for something that's closer to an ISAM (or successor) database-based app.