Out of focus SJ7

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by rizeddd, Jan 22, 2018.

1. rizeddd

rizeddd New Member

Hi , i've had an sj4000 and it was good for the price so i decided to buy an sj7.
    I dont know if someone got this problem or if i can do something about it , sometimes it works fine sometimes it doesnt .
    Sometimes it focus ok but most of the time is only focused to a near object and loosing focus of the rest , i try to upload a video so you can see what's happening , i've bought this camera to do a trip to Thailand and i comeback with many out of focus footage..
    Especially when its on the case that happen even more, it focus the camera plastic or something and then its all out of focus ...

Thanks

2. rizeddd

rizeddd New Member

On firmware 1.18

3. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

The firmware doesn't matter - the lens mounting or sensor mounting is defective. Contact either the seller of SJCam support for warranty service.

4. rizeddd

rizeddd New Member

Hi , thanks for reply, Dont u think it can be lens adjustment ? Or maybe too risky to try adjust the lens ?
    I've send email to bangood but they respond:
    According to the information you provide, we suggest that you can take it to the local store for check in. If you don't mind that and the cost of repair is reasonable,then we'll compensate you for the cost of reparation. Besides, if you accept the advice, we hope you can inform us how much the reparation will cost before you start to do.

And like i dont even know where to go with a sjcam in my country ...

5. rizeddd

rizeddd New Member

6. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

It is easy to adjust the lens, but there is probably more serious problem with your camera, than out of focus lens. The lens is a screw mount lens and by turning this screw you can adjust focus. But if your camera sometimes has sharp image, and sometimes blurry, then the lens mount should be loose from the base or the sensor plate is not fixed properly. Otherwise the focus wouldn't change so randomly in such a magnitude.
    Another reason might be, that the window of the protective case is foggy or hazed and your videos/photos turn blurred if the camera is inside the case.

7. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

After checking your images, I can say, that they are not out of focus, but rather blurred because of too slow shutter speed (the blur is caused buy hand shake or somethindg else, as the sharpness is missing both far and near objects. Unfortunately you have removed EXIF information and therefore I can't confirm the reason. Never remove the EXIF if debugging camera problems!

8. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Take some photos with the camera (without the case) laying on a table or on some other stable surface. It is even better if the self timer is also used. If these photos appear sharp, then there is nothing wrong with focus.

9. RBEmerson

Cluless, Sulev, clueless.

There is no user lens adjustment, there is no slow shutter smearing, there is out-of-focus blurring.

10. RBEmerson

BangGood almost always says "take it to someone local" rather than honor the warranty. It's my opinion that they and GearBest may offer a low price, but also low support. "You get what you pay for."

You cannot adjust the lens without voiding the SJCam warranty. You can either continue to try to get BangGood to honor the warranty or start a support ticket with SJCam.

11. Jason

Jason Moderator

The short clip doesn't show motion blur that you would expect if this was a slow shutter speed - it definitely shows a lens that is not focused correctly.

12. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Clueless RBEmerson, have you ever adjusted the focus of your action camera? I have, and I know exactly how this looks like, when this lens is out of focus. Rizeddd's pictures are definitely not like that. There are many other reasons that can cause blurry images. Slow shutter speed is one of them. Another one is poor firmware - poor implementation of the gyro, poor implementation of the Auto Low Light mode etc. For getting lens so off focus, one must unscrew the lens at least 90 degrees.
    Rizeddd, the lens focus is easily user adjustable, no matter what clueless RBEmerson says. But first, be sure, that the reason is not somewhere else! If you will get sharp images under bright sunlight, but poor quality when lighting conditions are poor, then this is not caused by focusing, as this lens has basically fixed focus.

To Jason, I am not talking about the motion blur.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  13. RBEmerson

Rip open the camera and put in a zoom lens if you want. Forget warranty and hope you have an optical bench to do the job.

Stop inventing nonsense "explanations" just to see your name in print.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  14. Jason

Jason Moderator

The reason you're not talking about motion blur is because it isn't a slow shutter problem. If it was a slow shutter then as the camera pans you would get excessive motion blurring of the image - which you don't have.

The point being? The pitch of the thread is 0.5mm so a 90 degree turn would not mean the lens juts out that much more - a 90 degree misalignment isn't much when you consider how many turns are needed to insert the lens.

Out of focus lens image
    out of focus.JPG

15. RBEmerson

@Jason, for some mysterious reason, the expanded image expands into shimmering or flickering horizontal lines. The BBS is stepping on its necktie for some reason. How about a different format another try at the upload.

16. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

The point was, that more than 90 degrees is too much for "accidental" turning of the lens by itself (let's assume, that the lens is loose from the hot glue for some reason). Especially, if this has random appearance, sometimes out of focus, sometimes not.

17. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Clueless RBEmerson, better finish primary school first before you start arguing with much wiser people!

18. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

19. RBEmerson

Of course out of focus, fuzzy images can't be made as sharp as images in focusAn image can be processed to work with what exists, to give the best possible result from what's there. If the data isn't the image, it can't be invented later. Ever. Approximated, guesstimated, calculated may be close but never, ever the same as the original. Entropy will not be denied. There is no way to get a noisy image (fuzzy, speckled, whatever) to have less noise. Period. End of story. Movie over - go home. Nothing to see here, folks, move along.

20. Jason

Jason Moderator

[​IMG]

This is what an image looks like when the lens is out of focus.

And yes applying a blur to a focused image does result in a blurred image @rizeddd - have you changed your sharpness setting to "Soft"