No video recording longer than 5 mins?

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by FishinJoe, Jul 13, 2018.

1. FishinJoe

FishinJoe New Member

Hi all, me again...
    Firmware v1.20

I wore the camera all day last week while fishing. Today I transferred the video from the camera to my laptop to watch what was recorded.

All I got were a whole bunch of videos that were all different lengths... random lengths... none longer than 5 minutes. And it seems it stopped recording after only a few hours. I have the recommended type and brand of SD card in it, at 128Gb.
    It's a SanDisk Ultra.
    I think the camera said it had 18 hours of charge when I started, but it died way before that.

What am I doing wrong? Why did I get something like 30 separate videos? I only messed with it a couple of times while it was 'on' to see if it was actually working. It doesn't always show me the recorded video in the list. Sometimes it won't show anything, and sometimes it shows one or two.

I set Loop Record to OFF.
    Auto Shutdown to OFF.

I'm wondering if Auto Shutdown was ON, but why would it keep recording by itself randomly at different lengths?

UPDATE:
    I reflashed the firmware. I set the camera to record just sitting here watching TV and it went longer than 5 minutes. Hopefully it'll work now.

Also, I know the SD card is a U1... I guess I didn't pay close enough attention when I bought it. I only record at 1080p 30 or 60fps. I don't have a way to watch 4K so there's no need to record in 4K.

SDcard.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I think the camera actually said, that it had memory capacity for 18 hours of recording with selected video/quality options. No way, that this tiny battery is capable for
    18 hours of constant recording!

Damian Holt likes this.
  3. FishinJoe

FishinJoe New Member

LOL
    I hear ya. I interpreted it wrong.

4. Anoop

Anoop New Member

My recorded videos are completely random anywhere between few seconds to few minutes. But when I merge them with software it's all smooth. So no issue for me. My setting is generally 1080p 60fps
    I believe it's because of buffer space. Also, I felt that when camera is moving/shaking video spitted very quickly.