Nightmares trying to connect iPhone/iPad

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Chris_N, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Chris_N

Chris_N New Member

I’ve had this camera about a week now and have entirely failed to get it connected to my iPad or iPhone. Most tests have been with an iPhone 6 running most recent version of iOS 11.

The camera is updated to 1.21

1. Getting the camera to display the green WiFi icon in the first place is touch and go. How’s it invoked? A long press on Settings? That’ll bring it up sometimes after a pause.

2. Getting the phone to accept the WiFi password is odd. Most times the phone rejects 12345678 as the password and won’t connect. About 1 in 10 times it will connect. It then saves the password, but will complain on next attempted connection that it is wrong.

3. If I manage to get WiFi connected, using the app will fail to connect. I get a message ‘Check device is properly connected’

All in all, not great. Anyone have any ideas before I return it?

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Um... return the iPhone for an Andy phone?

IMNSHO the Flash app sux. It's buggy (can't set resolutions correctly, for example), loaded with spam (why, why, why waste bandwidth on "trending" [in whose benighted opinion?] video/photos), and generally in need of a complete re-write. That said...

Even if Flash is a dud, you should be able to at least connect to the camera. That part of things has nothing to do the Flash app. That you're having problems at the point, suggests iOS is being difficult about a WPA2-secured connection. Why that should be so is something I leave for iOS wizards. The take-away here is the problem is at the phone end. I regularly connect, problem-free, to the SJ7 (with Android 6.0.1 and 7.0). One possible cause of losing track of the secret password (why, why, why use WPA between the camera and phone - worried about the camera be hacked or the video being eavesdropped on?) is the camera changes its name with at least firmware changes. I suspect, but can't easily prove, its MAC address may change - which means changing the WiFi ID to simply SJ7 every time won't ensure the stored password will work.

My suggestion is to keep the camera (it really does work!) and live without real-time video. Life does go on without it. Honest.

Damian Holt likes this.
  3. Chris_N

Chris_N New Member

I suspect if there were a widespread problem with iOS devices attaching to WPA 2 connections, there might be a bit of a fuss. Certainly the SJcam is the only thing that has caused problems and I’ve attached the phone to all manner of things including speakers and Chromecasts etc. Perhaps this camera is just a lemon - it crashed on turn-off today and I had to remove the battery. Back it goes.

4. RBEmerson

Keep in mind that some of those connections are Bluetooth, not WiFi. NTL, yes, the connection process should be reliable.

@Jason IIRC you have no problems with iPhone issues - Thoughts? Advice?

A hard, "pull the battery", crash is not a good sign. OTOH I don't count one or two over a span of weeks a deal-breaker. There should be zero hard crashes but until the firmware people wake up and smell the coffee, enduring the occasional to rare hard crash is... [/shrug] how it goes.

If you don't trust the camera, or don't have time for its oddities, by all means, send it back. Balance the camera cost against GoPro, and maybe some tolerance for annoying issues is possible. Or not. Either way, best of luck with the route you choose. [/smile]

5. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    I’ve got no issues with iPhone apart from the damn speed of file transfers, they’re so slow I don’t bother any longer.

I’ve connected a M20, SJ5000x and the SJ7, all with no issues.

Can the camera connect to any other devise?

6. RBEmerson

Very much on point. Trying to connect with a patient friend's Android phone will be instructive.