Mod your SJ6 Legend for IR/UV [works for SJ4000, 5000, etc.]

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by jlo138, Dec 3, 2017.

1. jlo138

jlo138 New Member

Paranormal Investigator
    Home Page:
    This mod is generally for Paranormal Investigators but it’s purpose is to allow the camera to see Infrared and Ultraviolet wavelengths that the human eye or non modified camera can’t normally see. Allowing one to be in complete darkness alongside an infrared light source or ultraviolet and the camera can see when we can’t.

2. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Yeah removing the IR cur filter or replacing the lens with a IR pass lens are quite common.

BUT !

The high XX pixel count sensors are actually not that well equipped to handle IR light, using a camera with a more IR dedicated sensor and larger pixels better equipped to trap more light will give better results.
    Off course you can always compensate with a lot more IR light on the scene.
    A camera like the up coming SJcam A10 body camera might also be interesting for creatures of the night, it have build in active IR cut filter and IR LED's

Today i would look at cameras with the Sony IMX 317 ( 8 mpix / 4k ) - Sony IMX 323 - IMX 291 . IMX 185 ( all 3 1080p sensors )

3. jlo138

jlo138 New Member

Paranormal Investigator
    Home Page:
    For me, I have an external IR light source for night recording. That video didn’t look like the IR lights were on but just that it converted to b&w. We actually in post editing turn our IR footage that way as it really makes the image quite brighter by removing the color.

4. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Yea I was able to experiment with the cameras with the IR filter out.
    It was when I was toying with my C-mount lenses, and the C-mount converter didn't have an IR-cut filter in it.
    Interesting how it turned out. But of course, I still ordered round filters to fit my purpose.
    @kamkar is also right, the sensors on the old set aren't optimized for IR photography, and yes, one can compensate by adding IR LEDs to illuminate your scene with.
    I want to see more stuff that are made with this though. Have any pics? I'll see if I have kept mine and post em here.

5. Jason

Jason Moderator

You can see a reflection of the lights off the monitor when it switches into IR mode which disappears when it goes back into regular mode.

I guess it's like the trailcams - in IR mode they also use a monochrome profile for the photos/videos and a colour profile for the regular mode. Guess if people got purple videos they'd be going "?!#@ it's broken"

jlo138 likes this.
  6. kamkar

kamkar Elite

Yeah the guy with a test sample need to test that part of the camera in a pitch black environment.

Over time i have tried to mod a few cameras to IR so i could use them as scope cameras when i shoot rats at night with my airgun, but i found you need really good IR light performing cameras as the light pass thru a hell of a lot glass thru the scope, and also using the zoom function on the scope tent to block the light even more.

My cctv camera that are normally aimed at my car in the back yard, while it is a old sensor in the PTZ camera it do okay with the light of the fireworks, and also its build in IR light.

It is pitch dark down there at night.

I also have a DIY night vision goggle made with a set of cheap FPV goggles for RC and a cheap board camera ( 700 TVL ) and then a IR light
    But the goggle dont have a record option.
    Not as slek as a pair of real NVG but a lot cheaper.

I am hoping to be able to MOD some VR goggles to NVG or that some one will make a cheap active night vision goggle as by now all the parts needed are readily available.

Troy and Jason like this.