Mac verse's SJCAM firmware combination.

Discussion in 'SJ7 STAR Firmware' started by colineve, Nov 30, 2017.

1. colineve

colineve New Member

Retired
    Well I think I am giving up trying to update firmware on my Camera. I have tried 2/32 g Sandisc and 1 64g SamsungEvo . Tried formatting through camera and it didn't like it so past them through computer and formatted to MSDOSFAT as suggested and then through camera...all ok. Downloaded v 1.20 and loaded to all cards .... put each card into camera in turn and nothing ...tried tapping on version option in camera but no response . I will stick to v1.18 until it needs some expert to sort me out

2. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Hi Colin,
    Hopefully we can find a solution for that. Not sure if this is an issue with Mac's formatting.

3. colineve

colineve New Member

Retired
    Hi Troy, I think it was Damian who suggested formatting to MSDOSFAT and it certainly seems to be the only one that will be accepted by the camera but after that things just don't seem to happen. At the moment it isn' a problem because v 1.18 is working fine but in the future at some stage I assume it will need updating

4. colineve

colineve New Member

Retired
    If I may just run through sequence I have taken with formatting cards...... starting with new 64g card, run through Mac's disc utility and choose FAT 32 goes through ok insert into camera and it says no thank you so run through cameras format and ok, back into Mac to transfer downloaded v 1.20 ....notice it says transferring 4 files and when I look in the card as well as the 1.20 files it has 2 other empty folders (which I can't remember the names of).

5. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    You shouldn’t have to run it through the camera after doing it on your Mac.

Format card in Mac
    Copy 1 .bin file to card
    Put card in camera and turn camera on
    Depending on which .bin file you put on card your camera will either auto update when turned on or you have to go into settings and tap firmware.

I believe your issue is formatting the card in th camera again prior to copying the file across. Also not entirely sure which file your copying, there should be just the 1 file and no folders.

colineve likes this.
  6. colineve

colineve New Member

Retired
    Yippee and thanks Damian that did the trick. As well as not formatting again in the camera I was not opening the folder to open the 2 bin files and I was transferring across the initial downloaded folder . Trouble now is I have to make notes on how I got there ready for next time :(

Damian Holt likes this.
  7. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Yay, glad you got there

I thought you might not have been copying just the 1 bin file when when you mentioned there were 4 files and 2 folders on your sd card.

Just as a tip I had an old 8gb card laying around from an old phone. I’ve used that to copy the firmware over rather than my card for the camera. That way I keep it formatted as fat32 and simply copy the firmware file to it each time I want to update the camera. Saves having to remember what you did each time.

colineve likes this.
  8. colineve

colineve New Member

Retired
    I remember formatting to FAT32 and then copying the file across but when I put it into camera it said no thanks and I had to re format it to MSDOSFAT and then put the file in and it was then ok but whatever, as long as it works and thanks again for the heads up

Damian Holt likes this.