M20 video Issue.

Discussion in 'M20' started by Riccardo, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Riccardo

Riccardo New Member

Hello,
    recently i've filmed some videos with my M20 trying different resolutions but i don't know why, as you can see on the following screenshots, they are super blurry and confusing. It's like i filmed in 144 or even worse.
    hope you guys can help me solve this problem.
    This should be 1080:
    video 1080.png
    and this 720: video 720.png

P.s.:
    The camera is New!

2. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Have you taken all the sticky protective film of the lense?

3. Riccardo

Riccardo New Member

Yup! It's strange because i thought it might be a problem with the lense but the photos are great!
    I used this settings btw:
    -1080/60 FPS
    -Wide FOV
    -Low light condition (but i tried also to switch it off and had the same result.)
    -WDR off (same as before)
    -Gyro ON
    -MP4
    -High Bit rate
    -Normal Sharpness
    -Auto White balance
    -Normal Color
    -1/3 exposition
    -Distortion correction on.

I've noticed another thing that could be stupid(because the screen is smaller and i can't see every details) but when i play the video on the cam it looks fine. So maybe it's my monitor or pc that doesn't support the video?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  4. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Maybe, the screen is very small on the camera though.

What memory card are you using.

5. Riccardo

Riccardo New Member

Sandisk Ultra microsd 32gb A1

6. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

It looks like the ISO is pushed up and those videos are recorded hand held or with moving camera in low ambient light.
    How dark there was? If there is too dark, then shutter speed drops and you will get blurry images, if there is movement in the frame or the camera is moving (or if camera is used hand held).
    Try to put your camera on some stable base, when recording in low light conditions, to avoid motion blur from hand shaking or camera movement.
    Action cameras are not ISO champions. To get nice video it is necessary to have well lit environment.

If you use sharpness option anything but Normal, then set it to Normal. The Soft option is useless!
    Try to set Frequency to 60Hz if set to 50Hz.
    Try to reset to factory defaults, and set values again. Somtimes this helps mysteriously.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  7. Riccardo

Riccardo New Member

Ops. I checked and the ISO is set to 1600 because i was taking some nightsky photos.
    So a low iso might solve he problem?

I ride my bike along trails into the woods with the m20 mounted on the chest. You can see the light condtions from the photo above.

8. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

It might resolve the problem of poor video quality, if there is enough light.
    Light conditions are usually not clearly visible from a single video frame, because camera can compensate poor lighting conditions in relatively large scale by rising ISO or by decreasing shutter speed. Only if the frame is recorded around midday in a well sunlit place, no clouds and shadows, then the luminosity of the scene is rather exactly recogniseable from the frame. In the mornings, in the evenings and in case of cloudy sky, the luminance of scenes may change in multiple times during 15 minutes. Forest canopy might be very dense or not so dense, also affecting the luminance in large scale. In case of artificial lights, they may be dimmed or lower (or higher) wattage bulbs than expected may be used, creating false impression of the scene's luminance.
    So better try your camera in well sunlit place, to verify, if this poor image quality comes from poor lighting conditions or there is something wrong with your camera.

9. Riccardo

Riccardo New Member

Ok thank you! I'm going to try it out. Would you suggest to set the iso to auto?

10. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I usually set my cameras to lowest possible ISO. I use Auto if I have to record in very variable light conditions (like switching often between indoors and outdoors).

BTW, You mentioned above, that your camera had option -Low light condition. I don't have this camera model, but I also didn't find this setting in the user manual of M20. If this is the same option as the Auto Low Light option for SJ7, then better leave it off, if you prefer quality video. Then dark scenes will be darker, but without so serious deterioration of image quality. It is often better to push brightness in postprocessing, rather than use too high ISO or drop frames while recording.

11. Riccardo

Riccardo New Member

You didnt find it because it a function introduced with the latest upgrade.
    What about wdr? Should i turn it on or leave or off?

12. Riccardo

Riccardo New Member

Anyway i tried with ISO auto, low values, wdr on,off ecc. but seems that nothing ever changed. Look this screenshot;
    1080 test iso auto - low.jpg
    There is all that blurry moving.
    Here are some pictures took in low light condition, one days ago and the last right now after i filmed the video:
    2018_0819_142124_0011.JPG 2018_0913_132256_001.JPG

13. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I never used WDR. I have seen some nature cameras using WDR (because they produce live video 24/7 and it helps to see details in low light conditions), but it causes some image quality degradation (unnatural colors and weird distribution of light, especially in shadow areas).

According to the User Manual, the WDR is available only for photo mode, for M20.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  14. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

What exact options did you used for this frame? Did you try to set the camera to 60 Hz?

Try these settings:
    -1080/60 FPS
    -Wide FOV
    -Low light condition OFF
    -WDR off
    -Gyro on
    -TV Mode NTSC (60 Hz)
    -MP4
    -High Bit rate
    -Normal Sharpness
    -Auto White balance
    -Normal Color
    -EV 0
    -Distortion correction off

Damian Holt likes this.
  15. Riccardo

Riccardo New Member

Sadly nothing has changed. I really don't get why pics are ok and the video not.

16. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Sorry to hear this!
    Do you have any samples from well lit environment?
    Or this issue appears only in poor light conditions?

17. Riccardo

Riccardo New Member

Appears in every light conditions. Of course with more light is slightly less visible but is there.
    To be honest i didn't try to film a video before the upgrade. Maybe something went wrong with the upgrade as i heard a lot of people got different issues.
    Is there a way to unistall the upgrade?

18. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

So far all your sample frames have dark scenes. The recent photo of the room had very long 1/2 sec exposure time! If you try to record 60 fps video in these conditions, then at the same aperture your video ISO should be more than 30 times higher than ISO of this photo, to get the same exposure. This photo has ISO 250. AFAIK the camera even does not support ISO 7500 (250x30), and if the Auto ISO option is used, will crank up it's ISO to max supported value. It's normal, that if you use maximum supported ISO, then you loose a lot in picture quality (because of decrease in dynamic range, increased noise level etc).

High ISO and EV correction are not meant for converting darkness into daylight. Usually when filming dark scenes certain negative EV correction should be applied, and when filming bright scenes, then positive correction should be applied. This might be counter-intuitive.

If you think that the recent FW update caused this issue, then you may downgrade the FW by simply installing older version the same way, as you did with the recent FW.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  19. Riccardo

Riccardo New Member

Ok so tomorrow i'm going to try with the negative correction.

20. Riccardo

Riccardo New Member

Maybe i figure it out! I wanted to test if maybe the problem is originated from the sd card. I used the web cam function so i didn't have to save nothing on the sd and to have a direct look to what i was filming and the result is the video is fine now.
    I got a Sandisk Ultra 32gb 10 A1 HC1....do you think that might be the sd? if it so what do you raccomand?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018