M20 action cam wishlist

Discussion in 'Firmware Wishlist' started by Marcus Bointon, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Marcus Bointon

Marcus Bointon New Member

I've been using the M20 as an action camera while skiing. While the video quality is great, it's absolutely terrible to use. I have the feeling that the developers have never actually tried to use the camera in typical action-cam conditions. The biggest omission is that it gives so little feedback; it's mostly impossible to tell what the camera is doing without looking at it. Nearly all of the problems apply to the remote as well, so using that doesn't help.

I have the camera mounted on my helmet. This means that I can't see what it's doing, and I have to control it by touch and sound alone, but the camera is very unhelpful in that situation, meaning that I have to remove my helmet and look at the screen every time I want to do anything as simple as start/stop recording or turn the camera on/off.

Fortunately most of the major problems could be fixed in firmware.
    1. Sounds are too quiet, barely audible through the case even when in a quiet room, let alone a noisy ski slope. The only vaguely audible sound is the startup noise. Solution: make sounds louder, or use louder sounds (e.g. test to find frequencies that carry best through the casing). Keep the sounds simple and unambiguous - sounds that are "pretty" but make the camera unusable are of no benefit to anyone. Full-amplitude sine waves rock.
    2. The camera makes the same sound when turning on as turning off, so you can't tell whether it's turning on or off when you hear it. Solution: make the on/off sounds different, and louder/simpler, e.g. 1 beep for start recording, 2 for stop.
    3. The camera has a sleep mode to turn off the screen. When the screen has turned off, pressing any button wakes it up - but it "eats" the button press that wakes it up, preventing the camera doing whatever function that the button would normally do. This means that it's often impossible to tell whether a recording has started or stopped when you press the button. I run into this very often. I turn the camera on shortly before a run, then at the start of the run I start recording - but if the camera has gone to sleep (which is impossible to tell without looking at the screen), the "start recording" button press is lost. This is made much worse by the lack of audio feedback. The remote control is useless here too.
    4. A much less important idea, but a "nice to have" option: make the camera aware when it is in its case, and have it select an audio equalisation profile (and increase input gain) that compensates for the effect of the case. To do this automatically would require hardware changes, but the profile could be selected manually otherwise. This is like an audio equivalent of the distortion correction option for video.
    The remote control would be much more useful if it could reflect the current state of the camera - on/off, standby/record, movie/still mode etc. This would obviously use more battery power in the remote, but it would prevent it being utterly useless.

For reference, look at how other action camera overcome these limitations. I particularly like the usability of the Contour cameras, which avoid all of the above problems.

Thiago_SJCAM_User likes this.
  2. mpieck

mpieck New Member

Please add FPS LOCK option to settings panel. The camera that drops frames to 30/25 fps automatically in low light conditions is not a real 1080/60 or 720/120 camera. If I choose to have WVGA in 240 fps video I want to have real 240 fps and not fake 240 fps, when in reality the video is grabbed at 30 fps. I want the lock option, even if the video will be grabbed dark as hell. I would lke to decide by myself when the camera can drop frames and when it cannot. I have paid for 1080/60 camera and not for 1080/60* (*- only in good light conditions). And this applies to all JSCAM sport cameras, as I have checked that the "state of the art" JS7 Star behaves the same and drops framerate when it thinks, there is too dark.

3. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

I'd like to use VIDEO LAPSE at CAR MODE. SJ7 can turn on CAR DV in TIMELAPSE mode. But M20 select VIDEO LAPSE or CAR MODE, so to use VIDEO LAPSE at CAR MODE is impossible.

4. andergrin

andergrin New Member

Hello. Can you add 1s interval in photo lapse mode for M20?

5. 203

203 New Member

I agree wiith point 3.

The M20 needs much improved single button start/stop recording. As it is, single button start/stop recording simply doesn't work properly.