Lower external microphone volume belowe 50%

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by tribas, Oct 30, 2017.

1. tribas

tribas New Member

I got an SJCAM Lavalier microphone, and i want to use it in my motorcycle helmet. the problem is sound distortion, because i cannot lower the microphone volume below 50%. Is there a way to lower this even more?

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Is the problem distortion or wind noise? What happens if you wear the mic in your helmet while you're not moving? My guess is the sound will be fine. After all, SJCam designed the mic to work with their cameras. If the problem shows up while you're riding, it's a wind noise problem. If possible, try putting the mic in different places, to see if that limits the noise. The other option is to find some more foam rubber to wrap around the mic. That should help with wind noise and generally quieting down the mic. BTW, I'm you're wearing a full face (with a jaw bar) helmet or a modular (front flips up) helmet. If you're wearing a 3/4 or "jet" helmet, all you can do is hope the foam helps, or try putting the mic in a pocket or some place like that.

3. tribas

tribas New Member

The helmet is a fullface shoei XR-1100, it has good wind protection. I tried different mic positions inside the helmet. I know the distortion happens because of mic sensitivity. When the helmet is closed and i´m stopped it distorts even more due to sound refraction. I also increased the foam in the mic front and added a home made "deadcat"on top of it all. The wind is no problem at all bellow 60mph.

please check this video, my voice distorts right at the beginning, the sound of the bike is quite good.

4. RBEmerson

Wow! That is a problem.

I guess your options are to wear the mic in a pocket or under your jacket. FWIW, I record using only the built-in mic and I've been surprised at how well it picked up my voice, even while riding.

Jump to 19:30 for an example of my voice being picked up. The voice was simply picked up by the internal mic. The music track was "ducked" under the voice, but what you hear is what happened. The camera was mounted on my helmet's jaw bar.

(The situation is taking a phone call via my Sena 20S Bluetooth intercom. Yes, I turned around and delivered the keys. I cut the video to pick up the ride after turning around and riding down the same road.)

5. tribas

tribas New Member

The audio in your video is quite good with internal mic, do u use anything to cover the mic to lower the wind noise?

6. RBEmerson

I didn't do anything to the mic. I just push the bike sound under the music track. Most of the time the air noise becomes only a low rumble, with the motor noise coming through when I accelerate. This video, at the open, is mostly music over wind noise. Drop in around 3:15 or 3:30 to hear some gear whine and then accelerating out of the turn. That continues through most of the hairpins going up or down. There aren't any effects involved, just how I mixed the tracks.

In general, I find the videos with only wind noise and bits of motor sounds are annoying. While I'm at it, the soundtracks with "badass bar bands", Steppenwolf, Allman Brothers, the Doobies, etc. are equally annoying. And YT has a thing about copyright violations (using Allmans, etc.) which can get a video removed. Which Is I why I use Jamendo and other copyright free or limited sites. I still get "owner reserves monetization rights" notes, but that's no problem. If Theta Sound, etc. want to make some money from my videos, they're welcome to it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  7. tribas

tribas New Member

nice! thanx for the info.

8. RBEmerson

9. Emanuel Pontes

Emanuel Pontes New Member

What I did to mine was to wrap the mic with transparent film (the kind you use on sandwiches).
    2 simple turns and its done! Suddenly a lot better.... not perfect, but better.

10. sale700

sale700 New Member

Do you have any video now?