Listen to your user base SJCAM

Discussion in 'SJ7 STAR Firmware' started by Quennan Davis, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer
    Dont make users here feel that these "wish lists" are just lip service.

Im really rooting for the SJ7....but your lack of attention to customer demand prevents me from recommending your camera to anyone in good faith.

I dont know what the staff read that has them thinking raw support was the hot button....but STOP and READ these wish list threads in detail.

There are some reoccuring requests....literally ppl crying out for these things.

Rotation (all res and true rotation of image). There is literally NO EXCUSE for why the SJ7 doesnt offer this

Power management (external power source connections without stopping the camera.). Important for time lapses

EIS. Yes I know the Ambrella chip has limitations here. However....there are cameras on shelves with same chip set that are accomplishing 4k EIS. In addition to LESS powerful chipsets (like the novatek) that can stabilize up to 2.7k. How come we are stuck in 1080 land?

White balance. Ive seen this a bit too...complaints of the different settings not offering enough change to the wb

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Apo likes this.
  2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

All quite true.

AFAIK, 4K EIS nibbles into the size of the image, but maybe that applies only to a limited number of action cams. NTL, the lack of EIS at 4K renders it almost useless when moving the camera over anything rougher than polished floors. (Only half joking)

EIS and image rotation are probably Ambarella-related issues. Power management, the mic problems, and the Flash problems are certainly not. NTL the refrain "working with Ambarella is difficult" is used to explain all of the issues not being fixed. The more I hear that, the less willing I am to accept that.

I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong, but I expect the response to the "need to fix" items will remain nothing but the sound of crickets.

The SJ8 seems to be vaporware. Aside from a sample case and artwork on GearBest (IIRC BangGood withdrew their "coming soon" listing), there's no evidence (let alone proof) the item even exists in any realizable form. Makes ya wonder what's up with SJCam...

3. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer
    You know....I could accept that rotation is an A12 chip limit.....only if OTHER A12 cameras didnt offer image rotation.

Lots of holes in SJCAMs argument to blame Ambrella

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Apo likes this.
  4. RBEmerson

The story is Ambarella has to do something so that SJCam can do whatever. The story continues: Ambarella people are hard to work with, or hard to contact, or none of the above, or all of the above. BTW, the office dog stole the paperwork, an elephant came into the room and ate the prototypes, and space aliens are involved, too. Sure thing. You betcha. Uh-huh.

Girish Joshi likes this.
  5. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Hopefully there will be a shiny new 1.22 with everything addressed after the Chinese New Year, just another 2 weeks to wait

6. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer
    Dont hold your breath

7. Jason

Jason Moderator

I wish
    stop blaming space aliens - it's not our fault

8. RBEmerson

Well, somebody has to take the blame, and the Easter Bunny is still on holiday, so...

ADDED: In a desperate attempt to stay on topic, I just finished another hour plus of running the camera (1080@60 w/ EIS) with no unpleasant events. I still marvel at how we manage to drive on roads that are upside down. Grrr...

9. Jason

Jason Moderator

Really they should stop adding new features for now and focus on getting the features they've started working correctly - such as the inverted recording, power management and RAW timelapse ( :) )

10. RBEmerson

If hasn't been obvious before, my faith and patience in SJCam is basically gone. The camera works, it fits my basic needs, and I can tolerate various work-arounds (inverting video in post, for example). But when the camera packs it in, it's very unlikely I'll be back. SJCam spends it time on tweaking the "J" in the logo and thinking it's a big thing. As you point out, basic problems have been shoved aside to get sexy RAW going. And, so far, not being stunningly successful at that.

I'm sticking around here, as a moderator, partly because I'm pleased to help other SJ7 owners, and partly in (increasingly fading) hopes SJCam will get back on track.

HYPA Berlin, Apo and Quennan Davis like this.