Just destroyed my lens.... Replacement / Repair available?

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Gorkde, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Those lenses are compatible with all SJCAM cameras.

2. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Here you see the difference:
    Watch for example the outer areas and the lines there:

Old Lens_small.jpg
    New Lens_small.jpg

3. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Therefore can someone please link me some lenses on Aliexpress preferably that he really USED and which has the same quality as the original one or better?

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Very different lenses, hence very different result. The second one is much shorter (wider) then the first one. There is no good point to compare lenses with so different focal lengths. But both of them are definitely compatible with the camera.
    The SJ7 should have a lens with these parameters:
    Focal Length f = 3mm
    F number (aperture) = 2.5
    F.O.V(D) 166°(H=120° V=89°)

The second image is possibly taken with a lens, which has f = 2.5 mm (or even less) and F number = 2.8 (or more).

If you like FOV of the original lens, then you should buy a lens with f = 3 mm.
    If you like less grainy images in the dark, then you should buy a lens with larger aperture (with smaller F number).

No forum visitor can quarantee you, that the lens you will choose, will satisfy your needs for quality. Safest bet is to buy a new camera with the lens, that is fitted by manufacturer.

BTW, for my eyes it seems, that the second lens has back focus. You should unscrew it a bit to focus closer.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  5. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Ok thanks for all the info!
    I had printed out a Siemens Stern and put it about 30cm in front of the cam and set the best sharpness for this distance possible so the edge of my room which is maybe 2m away should be sharp as far as I understand it....
    Will try next days to unscrew it a bit.

Anyway it seems the lens is not what I like at all so I will try to get some with the parameters you gave me.
    Also sent a ticket to SJ to ask where I might get the original lenses. Since they buy them in bulk they should be able to sell it or at least tell me who sells them.

6. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

just tried to screw in or out no matter what always the outer edge was out of focus.
    I also found if the focus is set around ok the lens is not sticking out as much as the original so it is deep in the cover.

Therefore can you recomend me a fitting lens from Aliexpress or similar?
    Dont want to buy another that will not fit.

7. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Also I can't find any lens with 166 degree at all

Found this one:
    Said Original and looks like the original but has other stats than the ones given by you.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  8. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Guys I really need help!
    I bought 2 others that stated to be original SJ lenses and they are as the first one not long enough so the lens is inside the cover for 2-3mm so the picture has black edges.

Noone has an idea where to get the right one?

I did use my cam 3-4 times and need to throw it away now??? Really?

SJ even is not helping me to get a lens.
    They said SJ7Star lenses aren't available anymore and as I asked them to send me an SJ8 lens instead they didn't reply anymore. So clearly they don't want me to repair it but sell a new one but I dont have the bucks since I lost my job because of a messed up surgerey!
    For sure thats the last SJ product I ever bought if it turns out I cant get it running agan after 3-4 uses since they won't sell me a correct lens or help me where to get it!

9. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Ok Guys.... Couldnt find that lens anywhere so I decided to take the lenses available that are shorter and rework my cam housing to make it fit the other lenses.
    If someone is interested I can post some pictures.