Just destroyed my lens.... Replacement / Repair available?

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Gorkde, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Did not use the cam much so it's fairly new. Today after filming I dropped my cam from the Table by accident.
    Since the lens bulges outward over the cover it dropped on there and got micro scratches which makes a haze on the footage.

Is there any repair service or replacement lenses you can buy?

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Papajosh and Damian Holt like this.
  3. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

Need much attention when you open the front panel.
    Please refer to the title "How to open front panel" of this SJ7 Star forum.

Damian Holt likes this.
  4. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Thanks. for some reason I did not get informed about the posts....

I bought some on aliexpress and nod wnat to change it but I got some problem:

1) there is some kind of "paper strip" coming up on the side of the lens and around a bit as if that's some kind of electrical connection. Is that just paper or what?
    2) I tried to turn the lens but even with force it doesn't move and I'm afraid to break the cam if I use more force maybe.

Any help on this? Where is it glued and how is it fixed at the bottom - So can I turn as hard as neccessary or might I trash the cam by breaking the board if I turn too hard? I was thinking of warming it but since the plastic is there I might make damage with that as well.

5. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

I forgot to mention I just removed the lens cover not the front plate.

6. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Ok got it loose now and the new one in but it seems to have way worse picture quality as well as wider angle.

What is the best option to set focus? Since I cant connect the cam as webcam I dont know how to set focus. On my mobile phone the picture is way too small to be able to see small unsharpness

7. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

I connect SJ7 to TV by HDMI cable.

8. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Thanks just tried but there is nno TV OUT option in the menu as should presumably?! I got Firmware 1.20

9. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Maybe someone can also tell me hot wo open the entire front. I could not find any video on it showing it and tried to lift the lower left edge but it is that tight that I cant list it more than maybe half a mm. Is it glued?

I would need to open it so I can glue the tread after focussing. I cant see the base of the thread from the little lens hole I opened so I cant glue it back. Or is there another way to fix the lens after setting it where I dont need to open the case fully?

10. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

There is no need for TV OUT option. Just plug one end of a HDMI cable into the camera, and the other end into your TV. When the camera is connected with a TV (with a HDMI cable), then the camera screen is automatically switched off and the TV screen will show everything instead.

11. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

If you don't fix the lens, then you have option for taking macro videos. Just add marks, that show normally focused position. Then, by turning the lens a bit, you could take close focus or macro shots. I didn't fix my lens after breaking it loose. And so far I have had zero problems related with non glued lens.

12. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

If you are not happy with wider lens, then you should buy longer lens. There are several focal lengths available. If you bought 2.1mm lens, then maybe 2.5 mm lens is right for you? If you don't fix your lens, then you can easily switch between several lenses with different focal lengths.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  13. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Thanks for your Ideas!
    I had the Idea of not fixing it as well but I fear the lens might get out of focus over time through bumps when biking or somethhing maybe.

14. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I have recorded several days of driving without adjusting the focus in between. I put aligned marks on the lens and the camera body and I just check before setting the camera up, that they are still aligned. They have never misaligned without my controlled action, so far. The camera has protruding front lens, so it should handled with care anyways. So if you keep the camera so that something might interfere with the lens, then you might easily get scraches to the lens front surface.The screw in lens has pretty tight connection and doesn't turn by itself.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  15. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

ok, thanks, then I will try it taht way first!

16. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

So I set my lens now but now I got another problem. This cheap china lens works fine in bright light but in shadow it's way more grainier than before (same settings). So it mut be cheaply produced and has bad light coefficent or what that is called.

Anyone can recomend a GOOD lens he really tried and has at least as good quality as the original if not better?

17. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

The lens is not grainier. The apperture might be smaller (the F number is larger). If you want exact the same parameters, then just check, before you buy! There are many different versions available! I think you should look for F2.0 aperture, if you need more light power.

18. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

I did but that was not one of the stats given in the sellers description. I did want the same as there was before.

I just compared by looking and it seems the original even has a smaller hole maybe 1.5mm or so the new about half a mm larger
    And it for sure is a difference if you use high quality materials or just window glass so that might be a factor as well.

Which apperture has the original one?

19. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I just surrender, can't help such a genius any more!

20. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

Gitup is selling replacement lens compatible with SJ5000.