Is this the right Place for Quality/FPS Issues?

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Alex Skacel, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Alex Skacel

Alex Skacel New Member

I bought the SJ7 STAR from Alliexpres. It came in with the v1.20 FW. I upgraded it right away to v1.21. While recording everything seems OK. The problem starts when I try to play back the files. I get a bad rainbos (mainly green0 blocking type distortion on frame rates of 1080p 120fps and 720p 120fps/240fps.

I uploaded to YouTube and the displaying issue goes away but the quality of image is still horrible and it's still very choppy. Like it will play a few frames OK then skip a bunch.

I can post a link to the YouTube Playlist as well as the raw files on Google Drive.

2. Alex Skacel

Alex Skacel New Member

3. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

V1.21 is not reliable. Go back to 1.20. Or try 1.15, although it's not going to have the faster frame rates.

4. Alex Skacel

Alex Skacel New Member

So what you’re saying is basically, I paid $190 for the camera + $160 for 3 different cards and $120 in accessories for a piece of junk camera with little to no support from the developer? I’ve had a ticket open since April 9 and I’ve gotten no response.

This is very upsetting. I’m not sure why YouTube fixes the display issue. But you can see it doesn’t fix the quality issues. I can honestly tell you I hiked it up to my big screen TV and the quality on higher FPS is horrible and the picture goes so dark it may as well have been filmed at night. Not only that the different resolutions change aspect ratio and or FOV.

This thing is junk. I will try older FW but I shouldn’t have to. Why boast about higher frame rates if the don’t even work.

PS the videos shot from the iPhone and Samsung Tablet show the issues as I see them on any Windows computer. The one it was filmed on was an i7 quad 2.8GHz with 8GB DDR3.

Is there really nothing else I can other than FW? Is anyone else’s quality/FPS issues as bad as mine?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  5. RBEmerson

Um... you can rant or maybe try some fixes first.

Go back to V1.20 and test things. The problems you're talking about don't match any prior issues. 120 fps is known have resolution problems. Fixing that is going to take a firmware change.

Yes, we're all unhappy that the SJ8 seems to be taking up the firmware team's time. There isn't much to be done about it except file a support ticket for every res that doesn't work for you.

If that's still unacceptable, either return the gear or there's always eBay.

And ...um... please be a little nicer with the language. You can rant (if you must) without throwing s-bombs.

6. Alex Skacel

Alex Skacel New Member

Ok, so I was thinking that you were either crazy or couldn’t read, that is until I went back and re-read what I wrote. It turns out I need to spell check more! I actually misspelled the word shot. Don’t you think in my sentence that the word I actually wrote just doesn’t fit there?? Lol

So that clears that up.

I went back to v1.20 and now the display issue with all higher FPS issues are gone however, the video quality, aspect ratio and lighting issues are still an issue .

Overall it’s better and something I can begin to work with. But SJCAM really needs to fix this. I’m surprised they even put out these FW updates without better Q&A. This to me is not acting like a high quality 4K camera.

I think I’ll do what you suggested and put in a separate ticket for each of my issues. That will be well over a dozen tickets but if it helps then why not?

PS I made the corrections to the alleged bad language in my post ;)

7. RBEmerson

TNX. I get that some days s*** happens. BTW, aside from just being a little ...what?... nicer, some forum systems automatically flag some language.

Onward. SJCam seems to have forgotten the SJ7. At least for now. Dealing with the company is generally frustrating. I have yet to see someone, in a position to make changes, to respond to comments and complaints. Even the few "we work here" people have vanished from at least the SJ7 forums.

I use Sena intercom gear on my bike. Sena's the same way. Almost no contact from Sena in their forums. There's a video, put up by Sena, showing a huge facility in South Korea. This is not a "two guys in a garage" operation. NTL... crickets, nothing but crickets.

8. Alex Skacel

Alex Skacel New Member

Has anyone heard back from SJCAM Regarding any of the issues with the SJ7 star? I haven’t heard anything yet. I still have a ticket open and basically nobody is responding. I was thinking about coming up with the website dedicated to expose how they simply drop any customer/firmware support when they want to push out a new product to compete with GoPro etc. How can you move on to something else when what you already have is crap, not working and not even worth half of what you’re charging. Sorry but I’m getting more frustrated over time. This is the only action camera I have and I can’t afford another one. I don’t have the pleasure to buy any other one until SJCAM gets off their arse and fixes this one.

9. RBEmerson

SJCam seems to have stopped talking to anyone about anything. I agree this is very frustrating and I cannot think of a way to get SJCam's attention.

IIRC, your problem comes down to slow motion fails (jagged lines and other problems) while 1:1 (24/25, 50/60 fps) works. One possible work-around is to slow down playback in post production, that is, with a video editor. I've used that a bit and the results looked good to me.

I understand that you expect the camera to do the work, and not have to use an editor. "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade".

The two editors I use, both are free, are Shotcut (no "r" in the name) and Blackmagic Design's Resolve. Any editor wants a fast PC with excellent graphics, but it's possible to limp through with a slower machine. Shotcut is probably better for this.