Interesting GP development

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by RBEmerson, Feb 2, 2018.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

For those unhappy with the €15 replacement fee, take a look at this development from GP. A €15 replacement fee may not be so bad after all. I'm not sure the cloud support, given what Google, etc. offer, is much to get excited about. The only big pluses are two replacements per 12 month cycle, and free return shipping. Past that... meh.

2. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer
    Gopro support is vastly more responsive than anything seen by SJCAM or other cheap chinese action cameras.

You DO get what you pay for....

Also the editing software GOPro provides you is fully supported and regularly updated....and it's fairly user friendly.

When you factor all that in....it makes sense where your money is going

3. RBEmerson

I agree that SJCam support is ...being very kind... substandard.

External editing is far superior to squinting at a small screen and hoping for the best. IMHO this is a bright shiny object to divert you from noticing what you're paying for it.

GoPro was pumped up by a CEO who does wonders with marketing. He conjured up high brand recognition, which counts for a lot in the market space, of course. But GoPro has, on more than one occasion, lagged behind the competition. Not a lot of video gets shot while holding brand recognition instead of a good camera.

The program cited in the article is buying insurance. GoPro is betting they'll take in more money than they'll pay out (the camera goes out literally at their cost). Imagine a lot of people paying $5/mo or $70/yr and up to $80 to replace a camera. That's $150. Lose a second camera, and that's now $230. Ooooh wait. What's an SJ7 going for on Amazon? And Amazon warrantys what it sells.

The cloud thing is ...so? everybody gets cloud space for peanuts.

The Plus subscription sounds really neat, but a bargain it's not.

4. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer
    No...GoPro offers a desktop program that is fully integrated with their camera. Allows me to do overlays fairly easily with gps, add music, adjust quality, sound etc. Full editing software. I don't know if you thought I meant editing it on the camera....but that's not what I was saying

I get you don't see the value in a GoPro but you'd lying to yourself if you tried to argue cameras (and companies) like the SJCAMS offer the same experience for less; the cameras alone are not the entire picture nor is it true.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  5. RBEmerson

I've said it several times, and I'll say it again, SJCam has made and continues to make some incredible mistakes, witness the support system (sic) and the obvious QC problems. NTL the camera does produce excellent imagery. And that's the object of the exercise: produce excellent imagery.

Editors... meh. There are lots of them without cost, ditto for adding GPS-driven overlays. It's a wash.

Same video experience? Close enough as doesn't matter. I've seen the A/B tests. The results come down to subjective choice. Some people want near-neon colors, some people want flat colors. And on and on. It's a matter of personal choice.

Where SJCam falls down is the odds of the camera working out of the box are not what they should be. Problems are not addressed promptly or well. In that sense there is a large difference in the experience.

The decision comes down to making a bet that a $160 ($165 on Amazon) camera will work out of the box. "Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer choice".

6. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer
    Lol you sound unbiased. To each their own...as an engineer I appreciate build quality and seemless integration

I own two sjcams....but I can be realistic about how they stack up