How to over come horrible on-board mic issue? HELP!

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by The Jungle Explorer, Aug 25, 2018.

1. The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer New Member

Video Influencer
    Home Page:
    I don't know about everyone else, but the wind noise caused by this camera is worse then any other camera I have ever owned at any price. For a Camera that was built to be an action camera that would be outdoors in a fast pace video, I would have thought that SJcam would have tried to make the camera I little better at handling wind noise. I basically I have to mute any outdoor audio reordered with this camera and do voice over with artificial background sound. A ton of extra work.

In an indoor still environment the mic is quite good, but this is supposed to be a SPORTS ACTION camera, not a studio camera. One begins to wonder if SJCam knows what a sports action camera is going to be used for? It's not that there is a little wind noise, it sound like you are rubbing sand paper over the mic. The wind interference is so bad, it completely kills the sound, as if some internal protection device turns the mic off once it reaches a certain level of decibels. So any recording outside where there is even the slightest wind sounds like, SCRATCHHH!.....silence.... SCRATCHHH!.... silence....

I have tried a lot of things to overcome this problem, with no success. Even with a 1/2 inch of foam covering the on-board mic, it still is just as bad. So, I finally broke down and spent the $20 for the proprietary SJcam external mic. I first bought a very highly rated external mic from another manufacturer that had a micro usb connection, but as I found out, SJcam rigged it so that their camera will only work with their mic. Which would not be a problem, except that the SJcam Proprietary mic has HORRIBLE reviews. So I did not want to buy it. But, with no other options available to fix the terrible on-board mic wind issue, I bought the sjcam external mic.

Well, I just took it out for a test drive in some moderate wind. Absolute Garbage! It is not as bad as the on-board mic, but the audio is still completely unusable.

I am at a complete loss here guys. How does anyone use this camera outdoors and get usable audio out of it? Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I need some solutions here. Thanks

2. The Jungle Explorer

Video Influencer
    Home Page:
    Wow! I guess no one else has found a good solution to this problem either.

3. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

If decent audio quality is necessary for my videos, then I use my portable 4 channel digital audio recorder. It cost me more than any of my SJCAM cameras. For best results it can be used on a tripod only (not hand held), because otherwise too much noise gets through. Outdoors I have to use wind blocking fur if there is anything more than lightest air movement. And if the wind is moderate breeze or even stronger, then the wind noise still breaks in. To avoid this I just don't record if the weather is windy and good sound quality is important.

You haven't gave us any samples how serious the wind noise problem is in your case. Maybe it helps a little if you will decrease audio gain on windy days?

4. The Jungle Explorer

Video Influencer
    Home Page:
    OKay. Let me get you some samples. You will be horrified

5. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

The video is not available yet, but FYI, foam is not good against wind noise. Fur type protection is needed for wind.

The Jungle Explorer likes this.
  6. The Jungle Explorer

Video Influencer
    Home Page:
    Okay. Just got back form vacation. Here is an outdoor sample recording I made in 10 MPH winds. This is with the SJCam external mic attached with the the included foam windscreen on.

As you can see. Completely unusable audio. I bought the highest rated deed cat furry windscreen cover I could find to put on this mic and it is actually worse.

Here are three more sample I made in my house with a small very weak desk fan. I made a test sample without the external mic, with the external mic with foam windscreen, and with aftermarket fur windscreen. I am talking the whole time during the test, but as you will see in each test, my voice is completely drawn out once the slightest wind is introduced. I am not sure at this point if it is a hardware issue or a software issue. All I know is that for an action cam that was designed to for uuse in an outdoor fast action environment, the Built-in mic and the proprietary external mic are ONLY usable in completely control windless studio like conditions.

Sample 1- Built-in mic only

Sample 2 - External Mic with Included Foam Windscreen

Sample 3 - External Mic with highly rated dead cat Fur Windscreen

7. The Jungle Explorer

Video Influencer
    Home Page:
    Sorry. I was on vaction. I uploaded four samples.

8. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I think your mic is picking the noise with its body and the stand (or the grip), that is not inside the fur.
    See this video for solution:

9. The Jungle Explorer

Video Influencer
    Home Page:

So I watched the video and gave it a try as best as I could, but it had zero effect. I had to ruin my new cats fur windscreen too. Here is the result.

10. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

You totally missed the point of this video.
    The fur should cover both the mic head and the base.
    Another thing, if you want to record your voice in windy conditions, then don't turn your mic directly towards the wind. If you let the wind to blow directly into the fur, then it can't help you much. The fur works only if it is fluffy and it can reduce the speed of air flow in between the hairs, enough to avoid wild trembling of the memrane. When the wind blows directly to the fur, then it can't slow down the air flow.

Suggestion: Next time, just before you start to destroy irreversibly your precious fur, simply use some screen to block the airflow from hitting the mic base, to see if that has any effect.

11. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Don't be childish! Just put your action camera into the housing (included in the sale package especially for your case), and you will get rid of the wind noise.
    I see you deliberately ignore my suggestions and my tries to help you. I will not bother you any more! It was nice, until it was nice!