How to enable TV out or USB Video?

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Gorkde, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Ok since I changed my lens I have to focus it and tried to connect it as webcam to my PC but there is no webcam option available! Only Mass Storage and such.

Then I drove over to a friend to get his HDMI cable to hook it up to my LG monitor.

BUT... There is no TV Out option in my menu as there should be regarding the manual!
    Tried as is but there is no picture at all!

What do I need to do?

Btw. My Firmware is 1.20

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Don't worry! Just connect your camera with your TV (with a HDMI cable). Be sure, that you inserted the plug properly (to the end).

3. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

I tried but nothing is showing up!

Is is in all modes? Replay and Record or just one?
    Don't I have to set it up somehow in cam's config?

I got a LG DM2780D. I inserted it in HDMI2, did set the monitor to that input but nothing shows up no matter if I playback or record at the cam!

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

All modes (recording/playback) should send their display over HDMI cable into TV screen.
    If the camera uses it's own display, then the cable connection is not established properly. Possibly you should apply some more pressure when plugging the cable in (of course, the plug must be proper position, that fits the socket).

5. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

Looking at former thread of SJ7, some TV(e.g. LG) seems not accept SJ7 signal.

6. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I have LG TV myself, and all my cameras are connecting to the TV just fine.

7. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

I was pretty sure the cable was correcly connected. Will try again. The cam-screen of my cam was on all time. Might this be a problem of Firmware 1.20?
    Or does the cam/TV have to be switched to a specific setting (besides input)? Or do they need to be connected and powered on in a specific sequence or something?

8. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

There are no specific settings.
    My LG doesn't allow to select those HDMI input ports as a signal source, that are not connected to active device (those ports are greyed in the list, and are positioned to the end of the list - active ports are sorted first, then grey inactive ports follow).
    You may try to connect the cable with some other HDMI input of your TV. Maybe your TV model expects SimpLink (or something else) compatible device on HDMI2, or maybe there is something wrong with the port.
    There is no specific sequence how HDMI devices should be connected. They could be connected both in the cold state (devices are switched off) or in the hot state (devices are on). On the camera side, the plug should go into the socket up to ca 4...5 mm depth. If one of the plugs or both are not inserted to the full depth, then the connection is not established. The camera display turns off as soon, as the connection is established.

9. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

I tried again. I pushed both in as far as they can go and they are definately probper in there.
    I tried multiple sequences at powering on.
    Also looked if there is some setting in the LG that could have influence except selecting the input. Nothing.
    Also Tried setting the cam to NTSC TV Mode. Nothing as well.
    Cam is always on and no picture on the monitor!

Should this work with my Firmware (1.20) for sure?

Also my PC is connected to HDMI1 and is working fine, will try if it works on that port then I'm out of Ideas

10. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

And just that question again.... Video over USB is not supported right? Any other way maybe?

Also checked the web if this model supports simplink and it seems it's not. at least google gets no hits and there was no option in the menu.

Tried the other port where my PC works also no signal.
    And the cable is a nearly new cable from a friends cam so it should not be the problem.

Might the problem be about max resolution of the monitor or similar? Can I somehow control the TV output of the cam to a specific resolution?

Just looked it up might the resolution/frequency be a problem? This are the specs of my LG:

Max Resolution: 1920 x 1080 60 Hz
    Suggested: 1920 x 1080 60 Hz
    Horizontal Frequency: 30 kHz to 83 kHz
    Vertikal Frequency: 56 Hz to 75 Hz
    Sync Type: Separate Sync, Digital

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  11. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Video over USB should be supported. You need a special cable for that, like https://sjcam.com/fr/produit/fpv-re...-sj6-legend-sj7-star-native-4k-action-camera/ But you will loose in quality, because AV cable does not offer FHD capability.
    PAL vs NTSC does not matter for HDMI. But for AV out it has its effect.

I think, your problem is either:
    1. faulty cable (try another)
    2. compatibility issues with your specific TV model (try with some other TV, especially with something from another producer, not LG)
    3. faulty HDMI port on camera (or on TV, if you already didn't try another port).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  12. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Ok, then I will take it to another TV first.
    If my HDMI Port is faulty is there a way to transmit by wifi to full screen to a PC? And how long is warranty on that? I did never check at the beginning.

What about the output resolution / frequency of the cam? Do you know?

13. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

I don't know if there is any easy option for transmitting videostream from the camera into TV over the WiFi. I have heared, that there is a hacked FW, that allows SJCAM cameras to connect to the WiFi access point and to share contents over the network. See: https://sjcam.com/community/threads...anyone-have-linux-know-how-for-this-hack.272/ If your TV could use Youtube, then that could be an option. But it is not neat, unfortunately.

The warranty period is 1 (one) year, since the date of purchase.

I suppose, that the output frequency is depending on your video settings.

14. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

Thanks. I now drove over to my parents as well as a friend and on both their TV it worked.
    So it must either be a LG problem which I doubt or the cam outputs a signal that my LG cannot process because of its age and dpi/frequency output of the cam. I'm pretty sure that's the case.

I tried multiple settings but none worked. Low dpi high dpi low frequency high....

Maybe some SJCam guy can give us details of the output signal here?

15. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Maybe LG should give update for your TV firmware?

16. Gorkde

Gorkde New Member

I already looked for it there seems to be none.
    I'm pretty sure the output of the cam is higher than the max stats of my monitor by now. Is there any way to make this tread visible to SJ staff so they get the attention and might reply on this?

17. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

How about to use AV out of mini USB port?

18. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

What do you mean by "the output of the cam is higher than the max stats of my monitor"? How did you find this out?
    If those cameras have problems with only LG TV-s and even then only with certain models of LG TV-s, then it is pretty obvious, that the problem lies in those TV-s.
    Establishing the HDMI connection is built into the chipset (Ambarella A12S75), the FW has possibly almost nothing to do with it. If there was a problem with the chipset, then many other camera brands, that use the same chipset, had the same problem.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  19. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

What is the point to have a 4K camera, if you use it at the AV out quality (limited to tiny PAL/NTSC display pixel count)?

20. nianeko2

nianeko2 Member

Second choice to fix focus.