How to enable Continuous Recording? Help!

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by The Jungle Explorer, Feb 26, 2018.

1. The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer New Member

Video Influencer
    Home Page:
    Okay. I have gone through the menus over and over and I can find no way to enable continuous recording. The SJ7 will record up to one hour, but then it stops recording and turns off. I don't want this. I want it to record until the card is full. I don't care if it records for an hour, creates a file and then starts another file, I just want it to keep going. I have missed some really valuable footage that cost me money, because this camera will not record continuously. I
    need it to do so very badly. Please Help!

Current firmware: 1.20

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Maybe the battery runs out of juice?
    If you use external power source, then maybe the amperage is not sufficient? Try a more powerful charger. Cables can fail also.

Damian Holt likes this.
  3. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Ignore the above - it's flat wrong.

Use the looping option to enable continuous video. You'll get a new file every 5 minutes (see the looping options for intervals) and you'll retain all of the recent video. Looping fills the SD and then writes over the oldest files. With a 128 Gb SD, that's several hours of video. Merging a lot of short clips is a pain in the [/somewhere] but it works. SJCam FW may fix this some day. Maybe...

A single battery charge won't carry you through even one "fill and re-use" cycle, regardless of SD size. You have to use external power. The camera will run without the battery. Plug in, Turn on, and Crank out (video).

Do you leave the camera screen on for all of the video run? What does the image look like while shooting - does it noticeably flicker or look about as you expect? Flickering (you'll know it when you see it) is Not Good - firmware flaw.

If the camera won't stay on for more than an hour even as described above, try...
    A) FW V1.15 - I've shot for 4-5 hours continuously with this version (later rev.s didn't exist at the time)
    B) If at all possible use the frame mount instead of a case. The plastic case simply isn't an effective heatsink/radiator. The camera is not even water-resistant. You can see the interior of the camera if you look into the SD slot, for example. Any sort of water mist, spray, rain, etc. will probably drown the camera. Dust can work in through the gaps. The case stops that, but the camera can become dangerously hot with long use in direct sunlight.
    C)If you've done all of the above and the camera still stops after an hour... 1) Walk through the settings to be sure the "no activity" timeout is off (shouldn't need to do this while the camera is active but why not look). 2) Reload your current firmware (or V1.15). This will completely reset the camera. 3) If none of this changes the problem, then you do have A Problem.

4. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

The camera should stay recording continuously even in the regular recording mode, so ignore clueless suggestions to use looping mode.

External power source should be rated 5V at 1A. If you use a charger of some old phone, then the output amperage might be less than expected.

Another possibility for premature shutdown might be too clever external power source (if you use an external power bank instead of a wall charger). Such power banks, when connected to the camera's USB port, start charging camera's internal battery, but switch off their output, when the internal battery gets fully charged. Unfortunately many SJCAM cameras stop recording, when they, recording on external power source, loose it, even if they have internal battery inside, and turn off after predetermined idling time gets over. This case the solution is: remove the internal battery before long recording. Then again, as a negative consequence, the risk of loosing last recorded clip, is considerably higher, in case of the external battery runs out of "juice" or the power connection gets interrupted. But from the positive side - the camera stays cooler.

5. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Sigh... A USB power source is a USB power source. Voltage is part of the definition. Shooting while charging ensures 100% charge isn't happening.

If the goal is shooting until the SD is full, start shooting and stop shooting when done. Loop if doing dashcam-style video. If the camera unaccountably shuts down and there's room on the SD, something isn't right. Reload the firmware to reset the camera. If the camera still stops before filling a chip or looping fully, try V1.15. If the problem continues, the SD is too small or the camera is sick. Try a 64 or 128 Gb SD formatted in the camera. If the problem persists... sick camera.

The Alps videos were edited out of 4-5 hours of non-stop video (1080@60) into 128 Gb. The break was to change external battery packs. FW V1.15.