How much 4K and 1080P video on 128GB card?

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Bob, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Bob

Bob New Member

Sorry if this has been asked before but a search found answers all over the chart so I thought I'd ask it here for my specific camera in case that makes a difference. I have a SJ7 Star camera. I'm new to this but I'm heading out on a trip in about 10 days where I'll be using my camera on my motorcycle.

I'll probably be shooting most of my bike video at 1080P / 60 fps with gyro on. That's based on what seems to be a consensus I'm seeing.

But I'm also curious about what amount of time I could shoot in 4K / 30fps for other stuff.

I'm trying to just get a general idea of what to expect. I have a 64GB card but when I saw how memory is eaten up so fast, I ordered a 128GB card today - one that is verified to work with this camera on another thread in this forum.

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Braggin' on myself more than a little(!), check out my YT channel. All of the Alps videos were shot with an SJ7 shooting 1080@60 fps and using an external power pack. A 128 Gb SD should be enough for a long day of riding, switching off for lunch and coffee breaks, or walking around with a still camera, etc. Put another way, if the helmet came off, the camera was switched off, too. I have some great video of tanking up!

At the time, the SJCam motorcycle case (really a waterproof case with an external power cord) wasn't available. The SJ7 is nowhere near even water-resistant. Look through the empty SD slot and you'll see what I mean. The case is inexpensive insurance against drowning the camera.

I use generic SD's from Micro Center. Aside from being rated C10, I haven't a clue about the rest of the specs. I had some left over from my digital camera. I stuffed an SD in, shot some video, and... happy, happy, joy, joy. Try a low-ball, not much to lose SD with 4K and 1080. If it works, there you are. Or buy high-rent SD's if they work as "comfort SD's". [/wink]

I went with 50,000 mAh battery packs. They're all over eBay, for under $15 delivered. I like the packs with an LED charge meter. They seem to be somewhere close to telling the truth. Two battery packs got me through the day. I left the screen on (in retrospect a dumb idea) and left the WiFi link running full time (not so dumb, particularly when trying not to lose irreplaceable video). The screen is an energy burner. I might have gotten away with a pack lasting as much as 6 hours. OTOH it's better to swap packs too early then too late. Your call... The big gotcha with external power is losing or accidentally disconnecting from the camera. It shuts down - period. I lost three pass' video by not watching the video from the camera to see the lights had gone out (two were no great loss, losing Sustenpass was ...um... upsetting)

The audio from the internal mike is, for the most part, wind noise. At low speeds the bike noise comes through, but after that, meh... not worth the effort.

At the moment, there's no power and mic cable, or even "mic, no power" for the SJ7 in a case. There is DIY info, here,, on building a power and mic cable. With a little effort, it should be fairly straightforward to build it so it'll fit in motorcycle case's cable port. That said, an external mic, tucked away somewhere, isn't an option for extended video. BTW, in the Leutasch video, there's a brief bit of a phone call with my wife. The mic was just the camera's internal mic near my helmet eye port. With the camera in a case, the audio sounds different, but the change isn't as much as might be expected. The big difference is the noise from the power cord moving around. I recommend adding a strain loop right after the case. Strap down the part of the loop where the cable coming into and leaving the loop meet. Small cable ties work well for this job.

That should give you enough info to try shooting while riding.

Two personal choices: 1) video from a camera on top of the helmet is just plain wrong. The point of view is too high for the rider's eyeline and too low to be treated as an aerial shoot. Keep the camera at about your eyeline and the results are... what's in my videos. 2) Soundtrack peeves: just air noise and maybe bike noise is annoying at best; there is more music than the Doobies, the Allman Brothers, or some bar band - besides YT takes a dim view of ripping off copyrighted material like Freebird.

Ride safe!

Bob likes this.
  3. Bob

Bob New Member

Thanks much, RBE!

I have the things you mentioned covered. I have three cases: The regular waterproof case that came with the camera, the case with the port for a power pack, and a third case that I modified so I can use the microphone with it. (I have a microphone.) If I'm understanding you correctly (and I'm probably not!), it sounds like you may not know that the special case with the port for a power pack is available. It is. A power pack plugs into it fine but the right angle plug on the microphone I have prevents using the microphone with it so I bought a third case and modified it for use with the microphone. (Just cut a hole that perfectly and snugly fits the microphone plug.)

I picked up a really nice 22,000 mAh battery pack that I'll be running the camera off of. It even has solar panels that could charge it in an emergency but that would take an extremely long time and I doubt I would ever need that but it's good to have anyway. I'm a bit surprised that you use up to two 50,000 mAh power packs in a day. Let's see: The batteries for the camera are 1,000 mAh and they reported run the camera for about one hour. If that's the case, it would seem that one of your 50,000 mAh batteries should power your camera for about 45 hours or so (not 50 hours because battery efficiency isn't perfect, of course.) Maybe you can tell me where my thinking is wrong. I checked out the 50,000 mAh hour battery pack that I think you recommended in another thread. The problem was that the reviews were horror stories. That didn't surprise me because the price was way out of line with other battery packs of that capacity. But maybe that explains why one only lasts about 1/2 day for you (if I'm understanding you correctly.) Reviews said that that pack doesn't have anywhere even remotely close to 50,000 mAh capacity. Some reviewers said it is an outright scam.

I have two helmets. They are both open face but one has a visor (face shield). I rarely use that one but I will if I want to record my voice during a ride. Because of the face shield that swings up and down, the camera mount on that helmet is on the side at just an inch or so below eye level and hear the front of the helmet. At most, it will pick up just a tiny bit of the side of the face shield when the camera is in wide mode.

The open face helmet that I usually use has the camera mount on the front of the helmet in the center just above the bottom edge of the helmet above my eyes. It's just a couple inches above eye level. It's not on the top of the helmet and it doesn't stick out above the top of the helmet. Looking at the helmet from the front, the top of the camera case is about 2" below the top of the helmet. I have had no experience with this but, just looking at cameras mounted on the top of helmets made me realize that I didn't want to go that route for the reasons you mentioned and it just plain looks pretty stupid. Besides, I reserve the top of the helmet for a spinning propeller. :)

One other thing: I just don't trust the adhesive pads used to mount the base plates to helmets, etc. I used those adhesive pads but I also riveted the base plates to the helmets. I will never have to worry about them falling off.

I bought the camera specifically for a trip my wife and I are taking to Big Bend National Park in about 10 days but I'll also use it for other rides. I searched for a place to ride during the winter. I considered Florida, riding down to the keys, but everything is flat and I'm told that finding places to stay may be a little hard due to the recent hurricane.

Thanks much for your reply. Now I feel pretty confident that I have the right setup. Some of the things I read said that I could expect only an hour or so recording at 1080P 60fps with a 64GB card. That's why I ordered a 128GB card. It might not have been necessary based on your reply but I'll feel better having it anyway.,

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  4. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

If you riveted the mount, sobeit. IMNSHO drilling holes in a helmet is a good way to compromise it. Anyway, done is done.

The adhesive on the mounting plate works well. Scrub the area where it'll go with 91% denatured alcohol (never, ever rubbing alcohol, which has oils in it). The mount I installed around the middle of June is still tight. Very tight. Very, very tight. DAMHIK.

The comment about a strain loop for the power cable applies to the mic cable, too. The less it bangs around, the less unwanted noise on the soundtrack.

Please sign the enclosed Non-disclosure Agreement before reading further. Consider attaching the propeller to a small DC motor, which will become a generator to power the camera battery charger. Actually, if you can find someone to conjure up a voltage regulator for the motor's output, and the propeller is mounted somewhere facing into the wind, it might really do something useful. LOL

Speaking of fiddling with wiring... If you can find a GP FPV cable and build the pwr+mic cable, think about tapping the line to a speaker an intercom (parallel or across the two wires). Record the discussions. Remember you'll record the ...um... frank discussions, too. [/wink]

The tap may or may not work, but it's something to consider. Sena's Prism camera (maxs out at 1080@30 with mediocre imagery - not recommended) supports recording the helmet mic (IIRC not the speaker). Too bad there's no easy to do it with the SJ7.

You're right about getting to Key West. About your only choice is to tent at Everglades NP or grit your teeth and fork over a bundle to stay at a "no tell motel". We're headed there (VW camper van) later this month. We found space on Cedar Key but was a challenge to find it. Many state parks are still closed, which makes finding space harder. But, hey, if you're headed to Big Bend, why not scout out the Panhandle?

Only an hour of 1080@60 on a 64 Gb SD? To be charitable,,, BS. You should be able to get at more than a half day of riding with a 64 Gb SD. The plus with a 128 Gb is you don't have to crack open the case during the day. BTW, check out Micro Center's chips - you can get some sent you before you leave. (DARN!! I can't find the generics on-line - unless you're near Atlanta, you're SOL on going to MC)

Be sure loop recording is OFF! You'll get a series of 4 Gb files covering about 15 minutes at 1080@ 60. Looping would cover over the early files if you get tight for space. 8 hours of video should only take up 32 Gb (I didn't do this check before - 128 Gb will carry about three days - yikes). Toss fiddling around with 4K or 120 fps or... and don't change the chip at the right time... oops.

HTH