How do i make continuous videos on the sj 7 str.

Discussion in 'SJ7 STAR Firmware' started by Kirby Glenn, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Kirby Glenn

Kirby Glenn New Member

It seems to break the videos up into sections.How do i make one continuous video

2. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

What size (in Megabytes) your video sections are?
    What is the lengh of these sections?

There are certain restrictions on both the file size and video length.
    You can't record 5 GB file onto a memory card, that uses FAT32 file system. If you check any DVD video on your computer, then you will notice, that even 3+ hour movies are actually in many smaller files on the disk and the player software connects those seamlessly at playback. For compatibility many cameras split files even if they support exFat memory cards..
    You can't record continuous video, that lasts longer than 30 minutes, with a camera, that conforms to cheaper taxation rules, that limit recording time with 30 minutes. For continuous recordings longer than 30 minutes you need a pro camera with much higher price tag.

If your file size and video section length is considerably smaller, then turn off the Loop recording, if you need longer sections.

Kirby Glenn likes this.
  3. HYPA Berlin

HYPA Berlin New Member

Be aware, that in the current firmware 1.21 if you record in continius mode the cam will ALWAYS split at 4GB even if you are using exFAT and more concerning you loose at least 1 frame of audio from one split file to the next... really annoying... you have manually set it to split after a set time... I use it with 10 min chunks and at least it works like expected... Since it's almost 9 months after the last firmware update I'm not sure if that's ever gonna be fixed... Very disapointing because it was the top-of-the-line cam before the SJ8 stuff came alive...

hohol_m likes this.
  4. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    There's nothing to be fixed. It's a limitation of the file system used.

5. HYPA Berlin

HYPA Berlin New Member

FAT has this limitation of 4GB, exFAT hasn't! And I think there should be no question, that a camera in this pricerange, should be able to record longer videos without missing audiobits... This needs to be fixed!

hohol_m likes this.