Heating issue

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Chetan, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chetan

Chetan New Member

My SJ7 is heating very badly while recording. Cant hold camera if used for more than 1 hr. I am recording at 1080p 60 fps with gyro on and using Samsung evo plus U3 64 GB card which has 60 MB/s write speed. Due to this issue my battery has swollen and stuck in camera. when I try to pull it its attached string got broke. so I removed battery by metal clip, now I dont want to put it back as it may explode due to excess heating.

I bought it on ebay india from reseller but dont want to send him camera to get warranty as I had bad experience before with ebay. Is there anything I can do.

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

A swollen battery of any sort is never tolerable. I suggest you contact SJCam support for how to proceed. The camera will get hot while running. That's because of all the processing going on while videoing. But swelling a battery... Not Good.

Cs18 likes this.
  3. RBEmerson

FWIW -while this applies to water as opposed to object contact, this is worth thinking about (converting degrees F to degrees C is left as an exercise for the reader):
    [​IMG]

4. RBEmerson

Coming back from my test runs, the camera wouldn't power down. I tried with the cell phone app which asked for confirmation. I disconnected the external battery. I tried pushing the power button. I tried to remove the battery. Once out, of course the camera shut down. It took medical clamping forceps to get the battery out. It's slightly but definitely swollen on one side, the side with the SJCam logo, etc. The side with the caution message is still flat.

The camera is rarely charged except when reading chips in the camera. In use, the camera is operated with an external battery.

Naturally, the battery will be withdrawn from service. I have two spare batteries, so I'm able to use the camera. NTL given LiOn and LiPo's track record, this is definitely bad news.

5. RBEmerson

Ticket # 23496

6. rubiroza

rubiroza New Member

Home Page:

Do you think that new FW is the reason for overheating?
    Did you have any overheating problems with FW v1.15?

7. RBEmerson

Yes, I suspect the FW is causing overheating. The more processing that goes on, the more heat is generated. That's just how electrical stuff works. V1.20 is doing many things V1.15 couldn't do - more processing, more heat.

No, I didn't see that problem while shooting, with V1.15, over 500 Gb to date. The camera did get hot, but not too hot to handle. With V1.20, if the camera's been shooting 1080 video for 30-30 minutes, it's too hot to hold on to. I'm fairly certain shooting at 4K will either bring the heat up sooner, or higher, or both. I'd test that but, at this point, I'm not sure how well my SJ7 will hold up.

8. rubiroza

rubiroza New Member

Home Page:

Ok. Thank you for a quick answer. I'm going back to v1.15.

9. rubiroza

rubiroza New Member

Home Page:
    @RBEmerson
    Couple more questions :)
    When shooting, did you use waterproof case?
    Does the SJ7 works with external power only (without battery)?

10. RBEmerson

At this point I very strongly recommend bench-testing the camera with V1.15, too. The easiest way to do this is use a miniUSB-USB cable to plug the camera into a laptop or PC. Select Ext. Power on the screen after the camera powers up (using the PC as the power source). Set the camera on top of a thermometer. If you have a cooking thermometer with a spike (meat thermometer), set the camera somewhere on the spike. If you have a thermometer with a glass bulb (outdoor or room use), the set the camera on the bulb. Good contact with the spike or bulb is essential! Or, if you're lucky enough to have one, use an IR "gun" thermometer.

4K@24 fps should produce the most heat, but the most meaningful plan is to shoot with what you plan to use most often. In my case, I use 1080p@60fps.

Start shooting video and let it run for 30-60 minutes. Do not use time lapse! It takes very little power compared to video. The goal is to see how hot the camera gets doing what you plan to do most often.

Please share the results of any tests.

11. RBEmerson

SJCam has a "motorcycle" case selling $29 USD. It has a water-resistant cable port that passes a USB cable through the case. It's the waterproof case with a cable port. I used that for the tests and any videos shot after my July trip.

Yes. Right now I'm looking at my SJ7, powered up with the USB cable and no battery.

12. RBEmerson

Rubiroza's questions got me thinking more about "does the firmware version matter". I have my SJ7 running, without a battery and screen always on. The case temperature is between 115 and 120F / 49C. After 25 minutes of videoing, the case temperature has settled out at about 120F / 49C on the top and sides. The bottom and the screen are at about 115F / 46C. The front of the case, near the buttons, however, is at 130F / 55C. That's the area closest to the electronics, making the difference, relative to the entire case, no surprise. But 130F is 130F and that's hot.

Given one of my batteries started to swell, I suggest checking how easily a battery can be removed. If it only takes a little tugging to get the battery out, it's probably OK. But if it takes tools and a bit of work, Check the battery closely. It's probably swollen. A good battery will be flat or very, very close to it. Hold a ruler on the side of the battery and hold them up to the light. With a flat battery, almost no light will come through. Wi9th a swollen battery. the curve will be obvious, even though it's probably, at the middle, about 1 mm / 0.04 in thicker. The swelling is enough to make it hard to get the battery out.

BTW, after taking the time to write the above, the front of the case is now down to 125F / 52C.

Brianj and corallino like this.
  13. RBEmerson

Hmmm... I'm sure I posted this, but I can't find it quickly. The camera temperatures were about 5F / 2C warmer with V1.20. That brings the front of the camera up to about 135F / 57C. That's hot.

corallino likes this.
  14. rubiroza

rubiroza New Member

Home Page:
    @RBEmerson
    Did you try to make a video with FW v1.20, but without any kind of case? Maybe SJ7 will have better cooling this way.
    When I'm making bicycle ride videos, I put my SJ7 in protective frame case only. And I have good cooling and also I'm able to connect the camera to external power source (Asus powerbank). As soon as i find some spare time I'll ride my bicycle and i'll try new FW.

corallino and Troy like this.
  15. RBEmerson

All of my measurements were in free air. Short of some sort of thermocouple, I'm not sure how to read the camera's temperature inside the case. I suppose some IR light will come through, but I have no ideas about how to calibrate for that.

A thought about using the frame. It certainly works. I used it on that week long trip I keep droning on about. The dive case doesn't support outside power and the requirement was to be able to shoot literally for several hours.

Anyway... if you look around, into the SD connector, you'll find you can see part of the interior of the camera. Which means dust and other contaminants will get into the camera. Think about some tape over the socket. I'm not 100% sure about the mic, but I don't think that opening is open into the camera.

16. rubiroza

rubiroza New Member

Home Page:
    Did you get any answer from SJcam regarding ticket # 23496?

17. RBEmerson

Yes, "please send us pictures". Which is a reasonable response. The fun part will be taking the pictures. I tried balancing a straight-edge ruler on the battery, and it works. There's daylight showing through on either side of the bump, while there's next to nothing on a flat battery. But taking a picture of that? Oh my!

18. rubiroza

rubiroza New Member

Home Page:
    They want a picture of swollen battery or hot camera with thermometer?
    As far as I now, there are two types of SJ7 cameras on market. The only difference is in mic location. Maybe inside the camera are also some differences. Maybe one model is better than the other????

19. RBEmerson

Oops - my error. They want a picture of the battery.

I think the "mic on the side" cameras are from an earlier (first?) production run and the "mic next to the lens" cameras are from a later run. As to any other differences, I haven't a clue.

20. RBEmerson

I submitted a ticket for the overheating problem: #23620