Has anyone successfully paired SJCAM Star7 and iPhone 6s?

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by C.Tok, Jan 30, 2018.

1. C.Tok

C.Tok New Member

My SJCAM Star7 (updated to firmware v. 1.20) refuses to pair with my iPhone 6s (which has latest Cam ZONE software). It keeps giving the message “Tips Please make sure the device is connected properly Confirm”

This is after I have gone into settings and connected to SJ7 STAR_256455.

Has anyone else successfully paired these two devices?

2. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    I’ve paired fine to my iPhone 7. I’ll try my wife’s 6s when I get home later.

3. Sulev Svilponis

Sulev Svilponis Elite

Did you try with some other devices also?
    For troubleshooting, try to set a simple 8 digit password (like 12345678) for the WiFi connection. If it works, then switch to a stronger one.

4. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Um... 12345678 is the default password.

Why there's an password on the camera escapes me. Unfortunately, it can't be disabled. The password can be reduced to a single digit and that's it.

I'm an Android fan, so I may be missing some iOS points here. If your phone is connected to the camera, you should see "connected" as the connection's status. I suspect that iOS will give some sort of "this connection cannot connect to the Internet" warning. Obviously, take the option to maintain the connection.

I've found that the SJCam app, on occasion, can be a little slow to discover that the phone and camera are connected. Try making the connection and letting things alone for a minute or two. Then try opening the app. At least in the Android world, the app can be frustrating about establishing a connection. Once it's made, though, it doesn't often fail. It does happen, just not often.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

I just got a new iPhone 6s and am able to pair with the SJCam app just fine. I do have a problem with it. When I turn on record from the remote or the app, the video screen goes blank and just shows the progress wheel spinning and spinning.
    While it does this, the other items on the screen are re still showing and I can see the recording timer counting up like normal. The video does record to the SJ7 fine, though, just can't see camera view.

6. RBEmerson

Better but still not getting everything. Weird. But you do see the camera output when you're not recording? If so, that means the WiFi link itself isn't the problem. If it was, you'd see nothing.

7. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

Yes, the output video is onscreen until record is started. It typically doesn't re-appear after it is stopped(at least not for a good while).
    I've just been using the remote control with the camera and don't do the chore of WiFi to the phone anymore. Too much gadgetry when riding a motorcycle.

8. RBEmerson

I don't understand why you get video until recording starts. You should see video non-stop, or nothing at all. Obviously something changes, but I can't think of what could be. What happens if you're riding or moving in a car (looking for speeds beyond walking)? Does the app show moving images without recording?

I agree, the remote is a little tough to deal with while wearing gloves. Since I use an external battery, I can use it (or the app - but let's assume it's not available) to start the camera without risking changing the aiming. I just start the camera and let the good times roll. Afterwards, I'll grab the parts I want. It's easier than start/stop over and over. On group rides, the amount of fiddling with cameras is ...um... a bit much.

9. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    Strange one that, as I said for me after I read record the iPhone screen will show the recording image.

On a similar note I’ve also identified the issue of the missing edit icon on 4K footage in the app. There was a thread on the Facebook page a while back I was involved in.

The 4K footage gets placed in a separate HD folder in the app to identify the different quality. When downloading the footage it also creates a SJCam album in the photos app however and of the 4K footage is not added to this folder, in fact I can’t locate it anywhere on the phone apart from in the SJCam app. Then when you go to edit footage I’m the app the 4K file is present but the edit icon is missing.

I saved the file to the cloud and then downloaded it to my photos album and manually moved it into the SJCam album and then went to the SJCam app. The 4K file is now present in both the HD tab and the normal video tab. The one in the normal tab can be edited as the other resolution files can be.

It seems as though there’s a permissions error with the 4K files with them not showing in the correct location on the Iphone which results in them not being able to be edited in the SJCam app. It would make sense for the app to create 2 folders in the photos app one for HD footage and allow the app access to that folder.

10. RBEmerson

IMNSHO, the app needs to be re-written. I just took a lot at the SJCam Zone app page on Google Play Store. The rating is currently 3.2 With 1400 5 star ratings and 1100 one star ratings. 4, 3, 2 star ratings tail off as they typically do on Play Store. However, looking through the 1 star ratings (rants and BS excepted) is instructive.

ADDED: In fiddling around with opening app pages, in settings there's a "clear cache" option. Whether it does any good is unclear (it probably just cleans out old "trending" photos).

11. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

Up till now I've only used the camera with the internal battery, starting and stopping the recording when desired.
    I setup the app to check the view and as a way to see it the cam is in record(reflection from sunlight in cycle case makes difficult to see display on cam). The app screen on iphone is active until I start to record.
    I'm about to remove the battery and power the SJ7 directly from bike's power as I do with my phone. Then I should be able to do as you said. Turn it on and let it go.

12. RBEmerson

It'll be interesting to see how things go. FYI, you can plug the camera into a car USB adapter. Unless you have a window mount, you won't get much scenery, but just letting the camera run will be a fair test of how the setup does, compared on on/off.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018