Gimbal Options

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by Tradarcher, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Tradarcher

Tradarcher New Member

There seems to be a few good deals around at the moment. Will the Sj7 fit in a
    Feiyu G5 (V2) ? Or shall I choose a different option? Thank you

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Does anyone with any gimbal have some input on what does and doesn't work?

3. Jason

Jason Moderator

I've a G5 and it works well with the SJ7. I have it set with the second weight on and the holding bar right at the end just shy of the power and mode buttons leaving about 1.5cm gap between the motor and the camera

DSC_0001.JPG

It was used on these

You do have to make sure that the camera is pressed down firm against the bottom of the mounting bar so that it's level other side your footage will be skewed. You do need the second weight on as without it, even with the camera pressed up against the motor, it dowsn't balance properly.

It doesn't balance on the forward/backward bit like the Hero5 or Hero6 does but the motors aren't working that hard to keep it in the right position.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Sulev Svilponis likes this.
  4. RBEmerson

There is one curious thing in the gyro's behavior. Your pace, as you walked with the camera is ...uh...(word choice?)... perceptible. I have zero experience with gyro handles, but I didn't expect the up and down motion. But then perhaps I'm expecting a SteadiCam (sp??) ...uh...experience.

5. Jason

Jason Moderator

These were made on the way to and from work - therefore I was walking a bit fast to get my next bus. The up and down movement is from the normal gait as you step from one foot to the other. There's a way of walking more carefully, with knees bent a little etc that negates the seesaw motion but with my work bag, laptop and a bus to catch I wasn't practicing that (still got to get it off tee as well). Without the gimbal the shots would have been all over the place.

6. RBEmerson

7. Jason

Jason Moderator

Definitely the Ministry of Silly Walks at the moment. Even with steadicam they do the silly walk - either that or have gyro controlled pneumatic arm thingies, pullies etc.

It's a common misconception that steadicams and gimbals will solve all your smoothness problems - they still need practice to use.

You can get nice smooth images by mounting the camera to the handles of a bike then walk along pushing it.

8. jlo138

jlo138 New Member

Paranormal Investigator
    Home Page:
    0E0E5D80-EF91-43D8-B030-28EDB78EA5C5.jpeg I have the Hohem HG5 Pro. It’s my first ever gimbal and cost $200 off Amazon. Price seemed fair considering others go for hundreds more. Downside is the battery lasts 4 hours and two more cost me another $34. They’re 18650 but are slightly shorter than what I already have. Connects to an app for precision adjustments and fits any of the SJCAMs that are the generic action cam shape.

Using a rubberband I’m able to make the GoPro Hero 5 session fit just fine. I’ll add some pics in a moment.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  9. jlo138

jlo138 New Member

Paranormal Investigator
    Home Page:
    49B9C71A-601A-48EA-90E8-B6C8D4568250.jpeg I’m the lead cameraman on our paranormal team so I have quite a bit mounted to the gimbal.

1) Modded Legend to see IR
    2) IR lighting with diffuser
    3) FPV IR modded Camera on me
    4) Zoom Q2N Camera with windscreen that I use as my Mic for live listening.

Jason likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Moderator

3 cameras in 1 rig. Does the dead cat not show up on the SJ6 ? I'm guessing that it covers the camera on the zoom.

11. jlo138

jlo138 New Member

Paranormal Investigator
    Home Page:
    I’m still working on it. I don’t see it as an issue but it’s adjustable. I may just face it straight instead of at an angle where the camera is fully facing down. Now it [windscreen] can be used with the camera but you’ll have to use the lens hood to keep the hair out of its eyes. I really wanted to use just a digital recorder but one I have is too large, and the other only works live once you hit record. I don’t plan on recording a file, just use it to listen and this camera is my best available option. I have a Zoom H2N Mic as well but that’s being carried by another member for our primary audio. The FPV cam is a trial for now. They say as our primary camera guy that I don’t get much screen time as they’d like me to so it’s a new idea.

Jason likes this.