Get really hot when recording

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by kelvin5290, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Jason

Jason Moderator

It's a frame for the Gopro Hero 4, almost fits perfect and I can still access the buttons easily - however I have an earlier version of the SJ7 Star where the microphone is on the side above the HDMI socket. The newer layout with the mic on the front would have the mic covered by the frame.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SHO...-7570-4bcc-bbfc-2fd6f25de260&rmStoreLevelAB=4

You might want to check out this thread https://sjcam.com/community/threads/sj7-star-fits-3rd-party-sj5000-series-alloy-case.262/ but I think that the internal audio will be blocked aswell

2. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Looks interesting, but unless you have a 100% contact with the two items, heat transfer isn't going to be as good as it should be. Even then, I'd think hard about using heat sink grease (for CPU and GPU heat sinks). Which isn't going to make the camera happy. And you still have the issue of dust and moisture intrusion.

Too bad the case doesn't have fins - 'course then the case wouldn't fit GP gear. Caught coming and going on this one.

Jason likes this.
  3. Chetan

Chetan New Member

Can you post few images with this casing

4. RBEmerson

I'm still skeptical about the lack of contact and certainly foam between the case and camera. If someone wants to test it, please let us know how it works out.

5. RBEmerson

After about 25 minutes of video, the camera went from 89F / 32C to 135F / 57C.

The hottest locations are near the cable sockets and the top of the case, near the lens. The difference around the camera was only 2-3F / 1-2C.

The camera was standing on top of my inkjet printer (powered down) and I shot 1080p @ 60 fps. Temperatures were taken with an IR gun with the sensor almost on the camera (not diluted by cool places near the camera).