GENERAL FAQ

Discussion in 'CAMERA Models' FAQ' started by sjcam_admin, Mar 2, 2017.

1. sjcam_admin

sjcam_admin Administrator Staff Member

How do I know if my camera is an authentic SJCAM?

Please log in to www.sjcamhd.com.
    Or go to http://www.sjcamhd.com/safe/ to get to the SJCAM Authentication Page, and then enter your Security code (found on the side of your camera's box) to check whether your camera is genuine or fake.

What memory cards do you recommended for SJCAM cameras?

16GB or 32GB original, well-known brands with high quality, high input/output writing speeds, and class 10 at least. SDHC versions are recommended. The following micro SD memory cards have been tested and performed well with all of the SJCAM devices:
    • Silicon Power Micro SDXC 64GB Class 10 (only with selected models)
    • Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB (only with selected models)
    • Samsung EVO C10 32GB
    • Sandisk Extreme C10 32GB
    • Lexar EVO C10 32GB
    • Transcend Premium 300 C10 32GB
    • Sandisk C4 32GB
    • Sony C10 32GB
    • Sandisk C6 16GB
    • Kingston 16GB
    • Transcend C10 16GB

What memory card size do I need?

16GB gets about 2:20min of 1080P video, 720 60fps is about the same, 720 30fps is about double (4:30 min). From that you can figure how much different size cards will hold.

What charger should I use to charge my SJCAM?

Any microUSB wall charger will do. A charger with a current output of anything from 300mA (three-hundred milli-Amperes) to 1A (one Ampere) is recommended. Anything above 2A might charge the battery too fast and may dramatically shorten its life.
    You may also use the USB ports of your computer.

How do I connect my SJCAM to my mobile Wifi?

SJCAM cameras can connect to a mobile phone with Android or IOS systems or a tablet device via WIFI, the steps are:

1. Install SJCAMZONE or SJ5000 PLUS software on a mobile phone or a panel computer (you can search and download on Google Play for android system, or APP Store for IOS system.(Or Find a link here for download)

2. After power on, press WIFI key on the camera, WIFI icon displays on the screen, SJCAM WIFI displays.

3. Enable WIFI on a mobile phone or a panel computer and search WIFI account according to the model of the SJCAM camera, then connect it with your device, and the initial password ” 12345678” will display on the screen of your camera..

4. When WIFI connected, WIFI Connection Ready displays on the screen,

5. Lastly open the right APP on a mobile phone or a panel computer, images recorded by the camera will be real-time displayed on a mobile phone or a panel computer. You can operate it via related icons related to the software or set function parameters of the camera.

Why can I not play video on my computer or mobile phone? [Legend, Star, M20, SJ5000x]

Either your player does not have the right CODEC (compressor/decompressor), or your device is not powerful enough to run the video.

Why is my video choppy when played on my computer or phone?

It can either be 1 of 2 things:
    1. Your computer/device may not have the minimum required specifications to play the videos back; or,

2. You are playing the file from another source and the data transmission cannot keep up with the video being played. Example: High resolution 2K or 4K file is played on computer, but the source file is in the camera.

Why does mySJCAM's screen go blank after a while of playing back video on the camera LCD.

You have your Screensaver on. Turn it off if you want to watch your videos in full. Keep in mind that the LCD screen that comes with your action cam is intended as a viewfinder and a status indicator. Watching a 30-minute video you just recorded this afternoon at the park is generally not a good idea on a measly 1.5” or 2” display. You’ll only hurt your eyes. Besides, you’ll use up your battery’s charge faster than you can watch 2 of those videos.

LCD screen does not show true recording exposure.

As stated above, the screen is intended to be used more as a viewfinder and a status indicator. It will only show you, a good idea of what will be recorded onto your memory card. Like with any other camera, one must be familiar with photography settings well enough to judge what exposure is required for any given lighting condition. I would also want to see some developments in this particular area. Hopefully we will see a screen that will display, in real-time, every little aspect that will go into the recording.

Why is the recorded sound muffled while my SJCAM is in the waterproof case?

The waterproof case is hermetically sealed. No water or air can pass through in either direction. Although sound waves travel through solid, liquid, and air, it varies greatly across those media.

Of those three, air is the best of them, as a greater range of frequencies can be "heard" by the mic properly. Which means that for sound to be picked up correctly, it requires a direct, or reflected line to the microphone.
    Now let’s say we did have a way to control the volume and boost the microphone sensitivity, a very large portion of the audible spectrum will still be left out, and the sound you will hear in the recording will be only those that are either extremely too close to the camera, or is directly in contact with the case (conduction). Either way, the sound will not be acceptable by any standards.

How do I format my memory card from my SJCAM?

You can format your card in-cam by going to the main settings and scroll down to “Format” then select Okay.
    Your card will then be formatted in the FAT32 file system.

Do I need to update my camera’s firmware?

SJCAM constantly makes changes to the camera by adding or upgrading capabilities, features, and making various enhancements. This can only be done by incremental updates either via the SJCAM Zone app or by download from our support site. Some users have never updated their firmware and still get a lot out of their cameras. Those who do, may instantly get better performance compared to previous releases.

How do I update the firmware for my camera?

You may update the firmware via the SJCAM Zone app or by downloading a file from our support site and installing it manually to your SJCAM by copy-pasting it to your memory card. Make sure you have a freshly formatted card, and you have the battery charged. Some models have special instructions, please see the specific pages for your model.

The user manual that comes in the box is too short, do you have a longer one?

Yes we do. Because of the features, capabilities, and enhancements that we constantly add to each camera model, it is impossible to put each one in the printed manual. We created a more in-depth version of the manuals to explain those features and uploaded them on the web. Check out the manuals section in this forums.

Should I take out the battery when using the camera as a dashcam?
    We recommend you take out the battery, since charging and recording may cause stress to the battery's internals.
    Also, for safety reasons, since the power coming from your vehicle may spike unexpectedly and cause battery heat build-up up that can be dangerous.

What is gyro stabilization?

It is a way to keep the video image from shaking too much during recording.

My recording starts and stops, all my recordings are really short. What’s happening?

This can be caused by several things.
    1. You have loop recording on. Loop recording is usually used when the camera is used as a dashcam for long recordings, to keep the files manageable, making the video file stop at set durations, then continue on automatically without user interference.

2. You have a bad card. Either the card is having problems or you have an incompatible memory card.

3. You have a fake size/speed card. You can test if your card has the correct specs on the label by downloading a free software called H2testw. Any discrepancy you see on the software and the label is suspicious.

How can I use my SJCAM as a webcam?

On some Operating Systems, like on Windows 8, you just plug it in straight to your computer’s USB port and choose “PC Camera”
    On a Mac computer, just plug it in and choose "PC Camera" from the main screen options, then go to your camera program, choose SJCAM.

Why does my battery die faster in extreme cold weather?

It is known that Lithium batteries have a shorter real-world usage in temperatures close to 0 degrees or below.
    This is because the lithium chemistry inside the battery slows down the charge cycle, and it’s capacity to take a charge is dramatically decreased, resulting in short usage time. All battery performance will return once it is brought back to warmer temperatures.

Why is the date on my camera reset when I take out the battery?

If your camera is an M20 or SJ5000 Series or SJ6; this issue may be due because the small battery on the motherboard has run out of battery, you can try to replace it. Other cause is because the main battery has been extracted for more than 30 seconds.
    In SJ4000 or M10 Series there isn't a small battery in the motherboard so if the main battery is taken out for more than 10 seconds the date will reset.

Can I use the SJ Remote with my SJ4000 / SJ5000?

No. The SJ Remote is only compatible with the newer SJCAM Models.

Why can't the camera be detected on my computer and only shows that it is charging?

It is highly likely that the cable you are currently using is not intended to transfer data, or is having a problem to transfer data . Some USB cables are just meant for charging, like the one included in the dashcam mount.
    Try another cable, see if the one you use for your smartphone will work, as it usually does.

If you have any suggestions for FAQ items that you feel should be on here, please let us know below.

Ken J likes this.
  2. Olivia Marie

Olivia Marie New Member

How will I know if the battery of my M20 s fully charged (just using USB chord... no charger battery dock)?

3. sjcam_admin

sjcam_admin Administrator Staff Member

Hi @Olivia Marie
    You should see that the battery symbol's bars have stopped moving.

4. Olivia Marie

Olivia Marie New Member

Actually, when I plug in the usb chord to the device then plug it into a wall socket adaptor to charge, there is no movement on the battery symbol's bar... just a lightning symbol... and red and blue lights...
    IMG_2448.JPG

5. Olivia Marie

Olivia Marie New Member

Nevermind. I think I now know when it's fully charged. Thank you anyway!
    IMG_2449.JPG

McVik and sjcam_admin like this.
  6. FGWINS

FGWINS New Member

Hi, Prior to the upgrade to 1.30, the battery symbol was a moving image, not after 1.3, now when I plug in the power charger cable, I see a static image (Not Moving), I see the same image flat or full. has to be a firmware problem, Regret doing the firmware upgrade to 1.30, now have1.31, hope problems can be fixed in the next version.

Regards FGWINS

Troy likes this.
  7. AJANDAYAJR

AJANDAYAJR New Member

Is there snyway I csn check if my sj4000 with wifi cam is low in battery?lile in a celphone where battery power is indicated?

8. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

There's a small battery indicator at the top right of the screen. It also turns red when levels become critically low.

9. Jess Ram

Jess Ram New Member

The FAQ may need updating. It says
    "You can format your card in-cam by going to the main settings and scroll down to “Format” then select Okay. Your card will then be formatted in the FAT32 file system.".

But my SJ7 seems to do this in exFat.

10. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Can you confirm yours is in exFAT after formatting, @Jess Ram ?
    What version is your firmware by the way?

11. KamBound

KamBound New Member

So my new army faction rule is kind of ambiguous normal GW stuff here and since there is no FAQ, I wanted to see how my fellow players would rule on this. Especially since I only play at Tyton.

Capture.PNG

If you have any queries relating to where and how to use Should you hit on a soft 17 , you can make contact with us at the page