FW 1.3.0 bugs

Discussion in 'SJ8 Series' started by gabo, Jan 21, 2019.

1. gabo

gabo New Member

Drummer
    Several things I don't like about my SJ8 Pro..

- Don't understand why it doesn't operate the same with "line power." The only way to use line power is to set it for "record on power on." It's just power, it should work the same regardless of line power or battery power.

- Volume is a trial and error thing. No auto volume or volume meters, just keep playing with it until you get something that works.

- Should be able to set unlimited file size, especially with exFAT. Why a "20 min" max file size? Just record to a file until it either hits the file size limit, which would only be with FAT32 or you run out of space.

- I've had some lock ups and a few problems, but it will most likely get more stable as time goes on.

gabo

Troy likes this.
  2. Troy

Troy Administrator Staff Member

Hi @gabo ,
    Thanks for the tip. Will let the devs know so they can make the necessary adjustments.
    You can also create a ticket if you want to have them update you about this.
    Here's the link: Create New Ticket
    Please include everything you wrote here, of course.

Cheers!
    Troy

3. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
  4. Troy

Could you PM me the ticket number you created? Let me see what we can do from this side.
    I also edited the title of this thread so that it doesn't confuse newcomers.

5. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    The ticket number is

6. gabo

gabo New Member

Drummer
    Keep working on the updates, this can be a good camera with a few more fixes and updates. We need more participation here to encourage the developers.

gabo

Troy likes this.
  7. Troy

Thanks @gabo
    Yes, although it does take some time to make updates since the tech guys have to test other parts for bugs when new or other procedures are introduced (and even then, new bugs may sprout from these, which still escape their already-keen eyes). This is where feedback from the community contributes largely into the development of new and better firmware.
    So, let me take this opportunity to thank you guys, keep it up! :)

Cheers,
    Troy

8. Troy

Let me look into it, and see what support has to say. Thanks for your feedback
    Cheers!
    Troy

9. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    It is now proven that the RAW bug is not in the firmware but in the converter.

10. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    Still it is not possible to change the color profile if the stabilizer is on.
    This was already reported before and is still there.

11. Troy

Have they responded to your ticket yet?

12. Michael Dittrich

Michael Dittrich Member

Home Page:
    No, they have not.
    The status of the ticket shows "Awaiting your Reply since 23 days 8 hours", although the last reply was from me?

13. Troy

I saw the ticket, I'll follow it up when they come back online on Monday.
    Apologies for that, thanks for your patience.

Michael Dittrich likes this.
  14. joka

joka New Member

In the video mode settings, if you type in the blanks, the image / camera is locked.
    I have this problem and so far no solution.

15. Troy

Hi,
    What specifically do you mean by "blanks", and where do you type something?
    Please elaborate?
    Thanks!

16. joka

joka New Member

17. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

??? I use remote power routinely. The camera works the same as it does on battery power alone. I do wish the SJ8 would continue to run on its battery when external power is disconnected, though.

What other camera offers this?

If you shoot for a couple of hours or longer, for example: on a motorcycle trip, editing from 120+ minutes from one file is going to be a major PITA. I use 15 min. clips by choice, not by what the file system allows.

18. gabo

gabo New Member

Drummer
    By remote power do you mean with a usb cable plugged in for power? If I do this, the camera doesn't operate at all. Only if I set it to record on power on can I make it record with external power.

My old kodak playsport.

Yea that's what the settings are for, so you can choose how long you want your files to be. But there should also be a choice to let it be as long as you like. I record bands playing live shows, sometimes they are 2 hours long. When I edit the videos, first thing I have to do is bring in all the clips and paste them together on the timeline of the editing software. Would be much better if I just had one video. And sometimes the transition from one file to the next isn't perfect.

19. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

I don't know why your camera is having a problem. Did you try resetting the camera to defaults and then try external power? If the camera is powered up on the internal battery and then connected to external power, the camera stays powered up. The same applies going the other way. Powered up in USB mode, the camera shuts down after being disconnected. I wasn't sure about operating in internal/external power, but the above is what I've done repeatedly.

Almost all of the videos on my channel are made from multiple clips and I have yet to find where the clips were joined during editing. This applies to anything shot from the SJ8,7 or Sony X3000 - those are the ones I know about. No doubt many or most cameras get it right. I haven't used them - so, no promises.

If one long clip gets it done for, have a ball. But don't look for "fill the drive" clips any time soon.

20. gabo

gabo New Member

Drummer
    Yea I've tried all of that. I've gotten use to it now, so not a big problem. I like to record without the battery, as it keeps the heat down a bit more with the battery cavity open. So the only way to record without a battery via external power is.... Power up on battery, set your resolution, frame rate, etc., and turn on "record on power up" and shut it down. Then remove the battery and plug in external power and power up. It starts recording, you can connect to the phone app and actually stop/start recording and use the functions. You just can't power it up without the power on record and get the normal screens. When I power up like that, I just get a USB symbol on the phone and nothing is usable.

As for combining clips, it's probably not noticeable if you're using the audio from the camera. But if you're using external audio and syncing it to the video, you'll notice it. The audio, which is one file so no breaks in it has to be slightly adjusted for every video segment due to losing a frame or so between files.

gabo