Firmware V1.21 comments

Discussion in 'SJ7 STAR Firmware' started by RBEmerson, Jan 17, 2018.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

I've suggested this feature for the SJ8 but more likely the SJ9.

Troy and Damian Holt like this.
  2. Jason

Jason Moderator

Might have to start saving for the S9,

Damian Holt likes this.
  3. RBEmerson

4. Damian Holt

Damian Holt Moderator

Retail manager
    It will probably be out before the 8 anyway

5. Matthew

Matthew New Member

Make better vid on night. When i use it as dashcam, picture are very dark - what intresting, there's no noise, maybe better reduce level of noise-reduction?

Little question : how to save emergency video in dashcam mode?

6. RBEmerson

If anything, noise levels go up with low light. Noise is always there, but hard to notice in bright light. Reduce the amount of light and all that's left is noise. The electronics try to amplify the light, but that increases the amount of noise.

I haven't shot video at night recently. I'll check what happens but I'm surprised to hear the images are less noisy when they're darker.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by saving emergency video? If you mean "I want to save a video of a collision", all you have to do is pull the SD. If you mean you have some video of a collision but you want to stay in DV mode, you can't. In "normal" video mode, once the SD's full, video stops. In DV mode, the camera can overwrite any older file. You can't mark some files "don't erase" and skip past them. Your best plan is carry a spare SD and take out the SD with what you want to save.

7. Matthew

Matthew New Member

When i say, better reduce of noise-reduction, i have in mind to set lower noise-reduction to catch more detail on video. I think, the best will be option in settings, where i can choose level of noise-reducing (turned off / low / medium / high)

Here's my sample of yesterday driving: c.mateuszpas.pl/index.php/s/ubkuHaPZNaRLI66

Yes, i want to save a video of collision, exactly - but without change a SD. SJ7 have a dashcam mode but can't lock a important video?! In my opinion, this product shouldn't have in promotion specs option like DVR - function above is neccesery in dashcam's. What if my trip takes 13h? How much SD should i take? Correct answer: 2 - one for my video from journey, and one for my dashcam video :D

So what, it's very hard to add function to move video file to another catalog on sd, when i press option button on front of cam? :)

8. RBEmerson

Saving important files is, at the moment, not available. I recommend posting a "wish" on the firmware wishlist. "Iant to save video of an event recorded in dashcam mode. It would be good to somehow mark 'from this time to that time' should be saved". For now, plan on carrying at least one spare SD.

I'm a little puzzled by your video. It's not particularly noisy, and I expected more noise. I do see some but some of it ...um... is stuff on the windshield. A pattern that looks like noise moves with the car. After you turned left you can to a stop light. In the far right corner there's a light-colored building. I saw the speckles I associate with noise. But when the light changed, the speckles moved with the car. Also, I'm surprised that the camera didn't get closer to daylight exposures in the tunnel. Overall, I don't understand what I see in the clip.

I'll have to take my camera out for an even drive.

9. Matthew

Matthew New Member

Ok, added to wish list.

Hmm..yes, i have dirty windshield (fatal weather) and gel sticker on dashboard (you can see them when traffic light is above car).
    Video is just a sample of night driving. When drive in city, overall picture looks like -1EV / -1.33EV (should be brighter) but away from city - total darkness.
    Maybe, will be hard to solve a problem, because aperture of lens is...F/2?

Is understandable what i write? Maybe my english..:)

Waiting for you video!

10. RBEmerson

I agree the night images in the city are under-exposed. I understand why outside of the city, nothing. Keep in mind, though, the camera is expected work well anywhere from a bright day in the snow to on a dashboard in the middle of the night in the middle some town. Some part of the range has to be left out and night scenes aren't the main thing action cams are meant for. F/2.0 or F/2.3? I don't know. Anyway, yes, F/2.0 isn't that "fast". But, again, think about the the camera is intended to do. A fast lens on a sunny day isn't the best choice.

Google says I should say: "Twój angielski jest lepszy niż mój polski".

11. RaffaelePezzella

RaffaelePezzella Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Exif suggest me it's a f2.5 lens. Not bad for a mid priced action camera.

12. RBEmerson

F/2.5 is slower, but, given the camera's main function (action cam), it's not unreasonable. OTOH, low light isn't a place the camera will shine (as it were).

13. RBEmerson

The 1.21r2 Invert function is ...um... halfway to useless. The screen inverts, the timestamp inverts, but the image remains upside down relative to the timestamp. Fail!

14. TonySosa

TonySosa Administrator Staff Member

That blog should have the latest version... the converter seems to be outputting red pics tho....

15. RBEmerson

I spent an hour on the bike yesterday, running my SJ7 all of the time.

I'm pleasantly surprised that 1.21r2 didn't crash, despite using three different resolution settings during the ride. Given I had two "hard" - pull the battery - crashes earlier, I'm surprised it didn't happen again. But I'm not complaining about it.

I started with 4K@30 fps. At any speed above a walk, 30 fps simply doesn't handle high speed moving settings. The increased resolution only makes the smearing more obvious. Add lack of EIS, and the results are pretty bad.

2.5K@60 fps wasn't much better, although 60 fps limited smearing. Of course these comments apply to all firmware rev.s.

I planned to shoot 1080@60 fps, which has worked very well for me. The resolution is suitable for shooting from anything moving faster than a quick walk. EIS does a good job of keeping scenery from bobbing up and down. NTL here the wheels fell off. I took of my helmet to set 1080@60, leaving the menu with the triangle in the upper right corner. Looking at the SJCam app, it reported I was in 2.5K@60 fps. That sounded wrong but I selected 1080 @ 60fps again, and continued the ride. Unfortunately, the camera wasn't shooting 1080@120 fps, confirmed by MediaInfo (Win10 app). Apparently, selecting 1080@ 60 fps with the SJCam app changed the camera to 1080@120 fps. Otherwise, the video looked good, EIS worked... no problems.

The takeaways for V1.21r3 or V1.22: 4K needs EIS and 60 fps if it's to be used from a moving vehicle. I'm not impressed with 2.5K - any gain in resolution (somewhat questionable, except when not moving) is lost in larger/more files relative to 1080.

1080 @ 60 fps remains the best compromise between resolution and economical SD use. Shooting at 120 fps for extended periods burns through SD space and isn't likely to be desirable for shooting 30-60 minutes or more.

Based on other, dashcam runs, the "Inverting" option is worthless. The stamp and screen inverts but the image itself doesn't. It's better to do the rotation in post-production.

16. RaffaelePezzella

RaffaelePezzella Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I don't think the chipset is actually capable having EIS function and 60fps in 4K resolution. But at least 2.5K... I'd love to...

Sorry for my bad english :D

17. Jason

Jason Moderator

I didn't think EIS worked at 1980p120fps. Anything other than 1080 needs a gimbal really - the A12 chipset doesn't do EIS at 4k, you need the GP1, Ambrella H2, Ambrella H22 or Icatch V50 to be able to do EIS at 4k and then it's max 30fps.

The inversion is useless other than letting you use the Waterproof Case in a position where it can't be mounted normally so you can use the display and menu - even then it seems to be limited to 4k.

Having the timestamp inserted the wrong way to the video is at best, stupid or, at worst, ruinous of the video. I don't use it as any post processing would also change the timestamp and have it go all weird.

18. RBEmerson

I suspect EIS and high bit rate images, whether it's due to resolution or frame rate, or both, just don't get along well. Which adds to why I think, for action cams, 1080@60 is pretty good compromise. When we can have 1 Tb chips and even faster DSP's, let's have a cheer for stabilized 4K@60 fps over long periods. [/grin]

19. RBEmerson

There are two big wins for V1.21r3: gyro support for 4K, and image rotation inverts everything! The bad news is image roation does work for all resolutions. Setting the mic to "off" still doesn't mute the mic. Additionally, disconnecting external power still shuts the camera down, even though switching to external power works.

20. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer
    It DOES work in all resolutions or it DOES NOT?