firmware update won't happen

Discussion in 'SJ7 Star' started by stoner51, Sep 26, 2017.

1. stoner51

stoner51 New Member

I grow increasingly tired of this camera and the lack of functions. I get no beep when it starts and stops recording. My camera only works with the app some.
    So I see there is a new update. Well that will fix my problem. Well it might if I could get the camera to update. I cannot. Looking back on the this whole process I would have been better to go with the hero session 5 for about $80 more and been done with it.

Since I am stuck with this camera. Can some one explain Why it wont update the firmware?

I have tried 2 cards. Both work in the camera. A 64gb and 128gb one sandisk extreme plus and samsung evo something.

I download. Extract load onto the card put it in the camera and nothing. Yes it is formatted to fat32.

I am really tried of this camera

thanks for any help.

steve

2. marco

marco New Member

have you tried to tap on the firmware version?

3. Steve Poole

Steve Poole New Member

Prairie Restoration Expert

4. Steve Poole

Steve Poole New Member

Prairie Restoration Expert
    I was having the same problems you are. I tried everything I could think of. Finally I pulled out the battery and plugged the camera directly into the charger. I tried it again and it worked. How this helps you.

Steve

5. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Which firmware rev. are trying to install? FWIW, I just installed the V1.19 beta. I extracted the folder in the zip file, copied it to an SD, went to the firmware place in the equipment menu and everything worked. I kept the camera's USB cable plugged in. I wanted to be sure I didn't lose power while updating.

The update option is the place where the current rev. number is shown. tap that and then tap the white rectangle with a circle in it. That's it - the update happens after the last tap.

FWIW, I don't get the function problems. The camera works for me - see the attached video. I shot 1080p @ 60 fps, 170° fov. The camera was controlled by Android app. The gyro function can bee seen as the bike's windscreen bounces up and down, but the scenery doesn't move a lot. I didn't shoot 4K only because I turn the camera on at the start of a ride and don't turn it off until I take a break, usually four hours later. 4K would fill up even 128 Gb chips in a hurry.

The video was uploaded at 4K to keep YouTube from killing the resolution. This doesn't add new sharpness (never can, of course) but it preserves what was in the original files.

6. reinaldo

reinaldo New Member

Im having the same issue. Card is FAT32 formatted, tried from battery and directly to USB, clicked on the lgo....nothing seems to work. Camera came with V1.18 installed.

7. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

The power source doesn't affect a firmware change.

Format the SD card with the camera. Put the SD card in the computer. Copy SJ_FIRMWARE to the root level of card. Move the SD card back to the camera. Open the setup menu, and go to the "tools" portion of the menu. Slide down to entry showing the current firmware review. and tap on it. Tap on the white rectangle. Job done.

Damian Holt likes this.
  8. reinaldo

reinaldo New Member

This video gave me the succesful steps to update my firmware. Thanks!