Firmware 1.21 RAW

Discussion in 'SJ7 STAR Firmware' started by RaffaelePezzella, Feb 6, 2018.

1. RaffaelePezzella

RaffaelePezzella Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
  2. Quennan Davis

Quennan Davis Member

Automotive Engineer
    fairly lackluster update.....

None of the major requests were even considered it seems....200 dollar camera that only provides stabilization in 1080p...whereas other cameras with same hardware can accomplish this in most modes aside from 4k/30. Hell...the SJ6 can stabilize in other modes aside from 1080p and that's a camera with less powerful hardware offered by the SAME company.

Instead the focus of SJCAM staff was to develop more STILL PHOTOGRAPHY features of an ACTION camera. Newsflash SJCAM....when ppl want nice STILLS they don't generally grab their ACTION camera. ACTION is the OPERATIVE WORD here....

About ready to give up on getting rotation...will just use my SJ7 less frequently. Sadly all my cheaper cameras can pull this simple function off and the SJ7 looks like it has two left feet when not being able to do this.

Guess I'll just use my SJ6 Legend until SJCAM adds this basic and common feature that's even on 25 dollar cheapo action cams.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    corallino likes this.
  3. iMIKE

iMIKE New Member

Admin
    Adobe Camera RAW or any alternative is your converter. Don't use this feature if you don't really need it.
    But first be sure to apply RAW 2 DNG conversion or you get unusual colors)

4. RaffaelePezzella

RaffaelePezzella Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I'm a photographer and use Camera Raw every day, but it is necessary having a proprietary raw --> dng converter... I cannot't find it anywhere. If I simply put the RAW file into Photoshop and attempting to convert in .dng the result is a "grey pattern" image.

SJ6 Legend has a proper converter, then I can open .dng files in Camera Raw for developing them.

Please tell me how you convert the raw files of you SJ7 in dng. :)

But I'll be glad if the stabilization would be available at other resolution, too...

I think this is a great camera with great hardware, but they have to improve the firmware capabilities... it they want to...

5. iMIKE

iMIKE New Member

Admin
    Why not to google? First link does the trick.

6. RaffaelePezzella

RaffaelePezzella Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Sorry, I can't understand.

7. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Humbled by events

Sigh... I've found a significant bug in V1.21. Using the camera in Mass Storage mode fails with the camera no longer responding to file activity. It happens within a few minutes of connecting the camera. For example, I was in the middle playing back a file, and about 5 minutes in... nothing.

8. MauriceWhite

MauriceWhite New Member

Does anybody know if the raw2dng utility works on SJ7?
    I will receive the cam next week and I cannot test it.
    On SJ5000x elite RAW photo was SUPERB! Most of the times I work side to side with my DSLR and I get excellent reslults.
    Direct JPG files made by the camera are really bad.

RaffaelePezzella likes this.
  9. RaffaelePezzella

RaffaelePezzella Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Jpegs from these cameras are full of artifacts due to extreme sharpening and noise reduction algorhythms... raw is the way. Then if you look close also videos shows too sharpness (with "normal" setting).

The converter works but not so fine: after converting the files from raw to dng you have to drag/drop them to another application (supplied with the converter) to adjust color levels... a bit annoying.

Sulev Svilponis likes this.
  10. MauriceWhite

MauriceWhite New Member

My experience with SJ5000x elite:

The cam had RAW photo from the beginning.
    SJCam supplied an "useless" RAW converter until somebody (Yan Burman) created a DNG converter.

https://github.com/yanburman/sjcam_raw2dng

This converter now covers SJ5000x, M20 and SJ6 and has camera profiles and lens profiles for Lightroom.
    I hope Yan wil adapt it to SJ7 too.

The process is very easy:
    1.- Create a folder for DNGs to be created.
    2.- Run converter.exe
    3.- Select source folder (where you have your RAW and JPG files) and destination folder and click convert.
    (IMPORTANT! The source folder needs every raw file with its own JPG side by side, the converter needs both files to create a DNG file)
    Then you have a RAW compatible file xxxx.DNG to be edited in Lightroom. If you apply the camera profile you'll get a good start point to be edited.

I hope I will get the same results with SJ7 as the image sensor is Sony too. SJ5000x --> IMX078CQK SJ7--> IMX117

https://flic.kr/s/aHskytEBkS

https://flic.kr/s/aHskSJNfNC

(all photos made in RAW with SJ5000x elite)

RaffaelePezzella and Damian Holt like this.
  11. Oleg Mukhin

Oleg Mukhin New Member

Security
    Hello friends!
    Where Russian Language in firmware v1.21 ?

12. corallino

corallino New Member

Capitano di macchina
    Despite the various proposals of the wishlist, even the latest version of the firmware, v.1,21, does not meet the expectations of us on the forum. Preference was given to a Raw photo option that ultimately does not produce positive results. I want to hope that the next versions will live up to a Sjcam flagship camera. I attach a Raw photo converted to jpg.

Attached Files:

13. RBEmerson

I agree! Leaving out image rotation for anything but 4K is a major failing. Minor things like "mic set to off, but still records audio", "mic setting lost after powering down and powering up", audio droputs, no hot unplugging with external power... the list of missed corrections goes on and on and on and...

Personally, I don't think RAW on an action cam makes much sense, but it's in demand, so supporting it makes sense in that regard. But why V1.21 was released with RAW that isn't working...? It's a mystery to me. SJCam would have been better off leaving 1.21 a beta instead of releasing broken firmware.

14. Oleg Mukhin

Oleg Mukhin New Member

Security
    I agree!
    Russian proverb: 7 times to measure, cut once

hohol_m and Damian Holt like this.
  15. MauriceWhite

MauriceWhite New Member

Sadly (in my experience with SJ products) too often they publish updates not totally tested.
    With SJ5000x elite it happened the same, they published a useless RAW converter until a customer build it's own and share it, now that converter is the official one.

I agree this is an action cam mainly for video purposes, but it has an excellent CMOS Image sensor to capture good wide angle stills.
    Sometimes I don't want to carry with my DSLR and all lenses and SJ does the job very well.
    Once the RAW photo firmware settings have good adjustment no need to be updated anymore in next FW (like video settings).

@corallino can you attach original RAW file and original JPG processed by the camera, both files, please?
    Thank you

16. RBEmerson

Sigh... You've identified a major flaw inat least SJ7 firmware development. V1.21 is an excellent example. It's missing basic, often repeated problems (mic volume, image rotation, audio dropouts), and obviously RAW support has serious flaws. Better to clean up the relatively easy stuff and leave RAW in betas until it's put right.

MauriceWhite and Damian Holt like this.
  17. corallino

corallino New Member

Capitano di macchina
    [QUOTE = "MauriceWhite, post: 5364, membro: 185"] Tristemente (nella mia esperienza con i prodotti SJ) troppo spesso pubblicano aggiornamenti non totalmente testati.
    Con l'élite SJ5000x è successo lo stesso, hanno pubblicato un convertitore RAW inutile fino a quando non lo ho comprato e ora, il che è il convertitore ufficiale.

Sono d'accordo che questa è una action cam video per scopi video, ma ha un ottimo sensore di immagine CMOS per catturare alambicchi con un grandangolo.
    A volte non voglio portare la mia DSLR e tutti gli obiettivi e SJ fa il lavoro molto bene.
    Una volta che le impostazioni del firmware fotografico RAW sono una buona scelta, non è necessario essere più avanzata nel prossimo FW (come le impostazioni video).

[USER = 648] @corallino [/ USER] puoi allegare il file RAW originale e il JPG originale elaborato dalla fotocamera, entrambi i file, per favore?
    Grazie [/ QUOTE]
    Of course MauriceWhite ; https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oOrQmlmcP7Gct4UboIASRlw2SvQIGm0g?usp=sharing

18. MauriceWhite

MauriceWhite New Member

Wow! I have to say that in this case RAW converter works!

I took your file (not an easy composition) and processed it and I have to say that the camera does a good job processing it to JPG.
    But...I prefer RAW because I can process the file my way and I can recover high and low lights easily the same way I do it with my DSLR.

@corallino You missed one important step: after convert file to DNG you have to set black and withe levels (with exiftool)

My steps:
    1.- Open raw2dng_en.exe
    2.- Drag RAW file and convert
    3.- Insert exiftool.exe and fix_levels.bat in the same forlder where I have the brand new DNG

That's all. Then I processed as usual with Lightroom and Photoshop and save the JPG file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TLgPFc426WHXbaOYy3JAmdTDwUt4n5Wd/view?usp=sharing

corallino likes this.
  19. RBEmerson

To avoid some confusion, I'm changing the name of this thread, which is almost entirely about RAW and V1.21. There is a general V1.21 comment thread which covers a number of features/issues, not only RAW.

20. corallino

corallino New Member

Capitano di macchina
    [QUOTE = "RBEmerson, post: 5391, member: 286"] Per evitare qualche confusione, sto cambiando il nome di questo thread, che è quasi interamente su RAW e V1.21. Esiste un thread di commento V1.21 generale che copre un numero di funzionalità / problemi, non solo RAW. [/ QUOTE]
    Hai ragione . ma poiché questo tthread è stato impostato su '' Firmware 1.21 RAW '' è stata fatta una discussione al riguardo. Tuttavia, anche se penso come te, il RAW non è un'applicazione dominante per una action cam, è preferibile promuovere molte altre funzioni del whishlist e siamo sicuri che lo staff SICAM lo prenda in considerazione.

RaffaelePezzella likes this.